Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. agi
    Well, I did custom ROM out of that 1.21 and .... ROM update failed.

Right now when I put the battery in, I get constant flash (white screen). I tried to hard or soft reset. Nothing helps.

Did I brake it for good?!
  2. agi
    One more thing. If I connect it to the computer and press Hot Sync, it will stop at Bootload v 0.18 with four color bars. Nothing else seems to help? Any way of getting it back to life? Please help!
    Here's basically what I did.

From the unzipped SD update, take the palm directory and overwrite the palm directory on the SD card. Next I did a hard reset. Now, after you go through the digitizer setup and date/ time, put the SD card into the slot on the phone. It asked me about selecting the update to run ( Treo 650 was the only one), it did hang on this screen for a few seconds after clicking on ok.

The update ran. The phone restarted several times, I got scared. It asked me to select a language. It restarted again and set up the digitizer, re- hotsync, install any apps that didn't come back over.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgabriel
    Hmm, the upgrade worked fine on my unlocked P1 Treo, and phone works fine after the upgrade while it's clean of any other apps.

Anyway, the only problem is as soon as I try to re-sync my profile back to the freshly updated 1.21 Treo, and ChatterEmail starts ****ting a brick and puts it into a reset loop. Is this a Chatter problem, or do I just have an issue with some of the databases? How should I go about getting everything back onto my Treo? Help!

I had to hard reset after the reset loop, and it's fine again, but sans Chatter or any of my other apps.
    You may need to go into your Backup directory on the desktop, remove Chatter-related stuff (for safety just move them to another directory), then do a hard reset and HotSync again (this should let you install everything other than Chatter), then you can reinstall and reconfigure Chatter again.

That said, I use Chatter and did the upgrade last night and haven't had any problems at all.

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    did the upgrade last night on my unlocked (ROW) 650 via the hotsync method...went without a hitch

I went from ~12 MB free to ~17 MB free
    the speakerphone is MUCH louder and is actually usable now -- one quirk is that the audio only gets really loud on outgoing calls once the other end answers (busy signals, etc. are still very quiet)
    earpiece volume is a tad louder, and a bit clearer, although I've noticed a bit of degradation in earpiece audio at times (could be T-Mobile or the person I've been talking to and not the Treo, though)
    I did notice the freezing when the Treo looks for a network upon powering up the phone...no biggie to me
    things seem more stable overall
    battery life seems a tiny bit better, but I typically don't use my Treo much on Sundays

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    upgrade via hotsync method. went from 8mb to 11.5mb. the speaker phone is ALOT better(louder). notice a slight lag when searching for networks. the firmware seems very stable. so far i'm very pleased with the upgrade.
    AT&T 8925 + 8GB MicroSDHC + Jabra BT8040

Copper TREO 680 + 16GB SDHC + Holux M1000B + Palm BT Keyboard + Motorola S9
  7. f40
    Problem.

Hotsync does not seem to keep the phone powered up until the hotsync finishes as it used to. If the phone powers off during the hotsync then it causes the hotsync to fail. I solved this by extending the power off time to 3 minutes, but it is a small problem.

Westronic, how have you changed the ROM to exclude Versamail & Real Player?

Thanks

Steve
    Palm IIIx >- Treo 180 >- 270 >- 600 >- 650
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I as well am very happy with this firware update, as the earpiece volume seems to be a bit louder, and I re-gained about 4 MB of memory.

Fortunatly now, I'm no longer impatiently waiting for the "official" P1 ROW firmware release.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techie2
    Here's basically what I did.

From the unzipped SD update, take the palm directory and overwrite the palm directory on the SD card. Next I did a hard reset. Now, after you go through the digitizer setup and date/ time, put the SD card into the slot on the phone. It asked me about selecting the update to run ( Treo 650 was the only one), it did hang on this screen for a few seconds after clicking on ok.

The update ran. The phone restarted several times, I got scared. It asked me to select a language. It restarted again and set up the digitizer, re- hotsync, install any apps that didn't come back over.

Joe
    So, to understand correctly you wiped out your entire Palm directory on the SD card, including your launcher file, which has all sorts of stuff on it that you use. You then put the downloaded "Palm" file in its place on the SD card. This includes various ZIP files, one of which is about 8 meg in size. How the Treo uses a zip file is beyond me. Then you hard reset the Treo, put the card in the slot, and off you go. Correct?

Right now, I have everything that was in the Palm folder on the Download in my launcher file, which generally is what the Desktop of the Palm can see. You can see the ROM update, but it does nothing, saying there is no ROM Image for it to use. The fact is, everything is there for it. Since I accidentally copied the Launcher file to another spot, I can follow your programme with no loss to me.

Nothing to lose. I'm puzzled by that huge zip file, which probably IS the ROM image it is seeking. Can the Palm load the zip file into ROM? Is that how it actually is done?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    When up unzip the download, does everything within get unzipped, or does the file: Ace-PalmOS, and ace-palmos-tpl remain zipped? I'm using a mac, perhaps it does nested un-zipps different than a PC. The Mac only Unzipps the outermost folder, leaving anything inside that also is zipped alone. So if you have a zip file in a zip file, it only unzipps the outer most zip, leaving the inside file zipped. Do Pc's do that too?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    OK, I'm beyond frustrated. I dropped the Palm file from the download on my Palm file on my SD card, which totally screwed up all the apps already on the card. It then automatically attempted to upgrade, which is a first for me, and re-did the firmware, but couldn't find the "operation application". SO, I spent forever unzipping the zipped files inside the Palm, and crashed my Mac a few times in the process, which is almost impossible, then finally got it all unstuffed, it ran by itself again, after a hard reset, and got the same exact outcome--no "operation application" What on earth is missing? There are hundreds of files in there, but evidently one is missing. WHICH???

THis is a nightmare, but for me only, which is puzzling.

ANY ONE HAVE IDEAS???
    Quote Originally Posted by plink212
    The SD only version on the site is actually an older version, you need to download the combined version for the upgrade to work sucessfully.
    I used the SD-only method and it seems to have worked fine. I see this in phone properties:

Firmware: 01.21
    Software: Treo650-1.06/5050/0 (cuts off on display)

Both are distinctly different than when I started. I did notice memory gain (free space) and significant improvements in earpiece and speakerphone volume (although the latter still has some hiss).
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    I have also modified the update to exclude all the language files and VersaMail and include Datebook 5 and LauncherX, as I had done before with the 1.15 update.
    I am very interested in removing bothersome ROM apps and maybe making some things (like zLauncher) run out of ROM. I realize this sort of thing isn't for the faint of heart. But if there is a reasonable procedure for testing the changes without causing risk of fubar'ing the ROM w/o possibility of recovering to a known good update (such as the 1.21 update), then I'd certainly be willing to give it a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilover
    ANY ONE HAVE IDEAS???
    Well, one thing I wouldn't suggest is mixing the upgrade files with anything else in the PALM folder. After reading the notes on the Singapore site, I took a formatted SD card I use for my camera and copied the PALM folder from the extracted SD.zip -- no other unzipping required. Hard resetted the Treo and then inserted the SD card. I remember one selection for the customization -- and only one option was readable, so I chose it.

The only thing that wasn't clear was whether I could leave the SD card in the Treo after the update completed. I was concerned that it would trigger the upgrade again if it restarted and the card was present. During the third or fourth reset, I removed it and then saw the config screens.

All in all pretty unpainless... but it was important to understand that *only* the PALM contents from the archive go in the PALM folder of the SD card you're updating from. And no further unzipping of anything within is required.

I did mine on a Mac and a card reader/writer, but you might want to be careful to ensure that the file naming is preserved properly from the archive. If it isn't, then it might be that the updater isn't finding something it expects.
    all goes well, very stable. I toyed with Versamail and phone didn't reset by itself like the old b version. Blazer works flawlessly and so does Metro and Agile IM. Memory gain was quiet substantial from 9.5 to 16. Done it through cable, might be the best way of updating.
    did the upgrade from the cable. Work flawlessly. Memory went from 1.5mb to 7mb. Speakerphone is useable now. Still have a camera related issue 'cannot encode video' when try to do video at higher resolution. I have always had this. One thing I suggest to do before doing the upgrade:

Do a full backup
    Do a HARD reset
    Then install the upgrade
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDu
    Works for my Cingular 650 too.
    However for some reason, the keyboard backlight intensity level dropped
    There are a couple of threads on this if you search, but for some reason on the locked GSM phones (and also on the locked CDMA phones, I believe) the keyboard backlights are always on at 100%. On the unlocked phones the keyboard backlights vary in brightness based on the brightness of the screen. Try to increase/decrease the screen brightness and watch the keyboard follow. Personally, I like this feature.

Since you used an unlocked GSM firmware you turned your Cingular phone into an unlocked GSM phone (At least so far as the firmware is concerned... I would guess that the subsidy lock is still in place). This isn't necessarily a bad thing (I did it too, knowing what I was doing), but by doing so you removed the Cingular customizations (such as XpressMail and the Cingular welcome/goodbye screens) and added features such as Bluetooth Dial Up Networking and variable keyboard backlighting.

HTH,
    Brett
    so brett if you do the upgrade on a locked cingular 650 and thus the firmware becomes "unlocked", can i still use xpress mail on my treo?
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Quote Originally Posted by s2k`
    "improves the speaker volume and memory issue"
    --said by a staff in C20
    Just launched this thread. Anxiously reading the rest.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowdawg54
    so brett if you do the upgrade on a locked cingular 650 and thus the firmware becomes "unlocked", can i still use xpress mail on my treo?
    I don't know because I don't use Xpress Mail. I did try it once, and I seem to recall that you had to actually download and install something on the Treo to get it to work, so I imagine that you can still do the download and install on your phone with the new firmware. The little app that lets you initially do the install that was in the Cingular ROM, is definitely gone, however, so you'd have to find the download link on your own.

Actually, come to think of it, if it's already installed on your Treo and you backup before the update and restore after then it will probably still be there after you're done. Maybe someone else who uses Xpress mail has some ideas here.

Brett