Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDu
    So you can use this update on a Cingular-branded 650?!? Oh my I'm going to do it now lol.

*Cross fingers*
    Yes, just did the upgrade on a locked Cingular 650. Was not able to do it using the cable method, generated an error....However, the upgrade worked perfectly using the SD card method. Earpiece volume is much better, and the hissing is gone. Speakerphone volume is also much better.
    I've done my Cingular-branded, locked phone - upgrading from FW 1.15 which I had already gone to.

I lost a bit over 1 MB, which I am still trying to figure out.

I also seem to have lost some speaker-phone volume.

<sigh>

I'll continue to poke at it and see if I get any of this resolved.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I think because I have a Mac, not a PC, I have a different file structure on the download. I successfully updated the FIrmware to 1.21, but not the Palm os or the Software from 1.04. THere is an Ace Palm OS folder with hundreds of "oprc" files, in 4 languages. What I had to do to make the firmware update was change the "oprc" to "prc", and then Missing SYnc was willing to sync it to the Treo. Otherwise it wouldn't even accept the files. It appears I will haveto go through the Ace Palm OS file and do the same thing to all the US files. BUT, do I run the entire ROM OS upgrade AGAIN, in ordoer to get it into ROM, otherwise all the files will sit in RAM, useless. This is much harder than it sounds, again, maybe because I am using a MAC. Plus, there are a bunchof evidently worthless files, such as Ace MD5, Ace DVT, that will never go through Missing SYnc. What a mess. Also, I had to manually start the ROM upgrade, but it worked great.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    ...I lost a bit over 1 MB, which I am still trying to figure out...
    Found it!! I had some movies in internal memory (whoops) and, after deleting them, now have gained about 2.6 MB from around 13.5MB to 16.1MB.

That's better.

Now for the speaker-phone...
    Oh, well - the speaker-phone, at max volume, is still pretty pitiful. Maybe I'll get lucky and Cingular will get this fixed when their update comes out, eventually. I wonder if I'll even be able to use it since I have the unlocked firmware now?
    my speakerphone isnt better as well - its still pretty much the same.

but, i have another interesting problem - ever since i upgraded my backupman doesn't want to backup anymore?
    it always says this:

card total: 499928 kb
    card free: 291280 kb
    memory used: 4186946 kb ???? <-------- no, thats not a typo!

so it keeps on saying the card is too small for a back up!

ive tried reinstalling backupman (deleting it) to no avail. anyone know what to do?

thanks!
    sanny
    los angeles, ca
    tmo with unbranded unlocked treo 650
    coolest thing: bluetooth syncing and internet browsing!
    Did with cable method. Gain lot of memory from 6 mb to 11 mb! Very probably due of lot of old tmp files has been deleted because of hard reset! But I feel real improvement for BT sound quality . I have SE HBH-660. FW looks stable
    Upgraded a Cingular locked 650 with original firmware (dunno, the one that came with it when I bought it from the store). Did the cable upgrade but got a filesystem partition error and was told to do the sd-card method. Did the SD card method, regained 5 megs (6 -> 11). Headset volume seems louder. Got BT DUN. Removed the cingular branding. I'm happy.
    Okay I gotta ask the stupid question.. I'm pondering this.

Format SD card, and put the Palm directory in the root of the card, or should the contents of the Palm directory be in the door of the SD card filesystem?

Pondering doing this to my locked Cingular model.
    i get the impression this is only for the Macintosh, not pc.

is there a pc version???????????

where can i get it?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    The SD only version on the site is actually an older version, you need to download the combined version for the upgrade to work sucessfully.
    I am a bit confused. Please bare with me.

The procedure, for a cable sync update, is to download the combined version, run the .exe from your workstation while the hotsync cable is connecting your phone to your workstation? Is that correct? Does this method work with a Windows based workstation?

Thank you,
    E44
    The easier way is to download the combined version and use the sd card method. Copy the sd card to your sd (no need to format) reinsert. Then it will take you through the procedure. If you just use the SD card zip, it won't work as it's not complete. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_madness
    The easier way is to download the combined version and use the sd card method. Copy the sd card to your sd (no need to format) reinsert. Then it will take you through the procedure. If you just use the SD card zip, it won't work as it's not complete. Thanks!
    Thank you. Is there a specific directory to which I need to copy the files? Do I copy all of the files in the combined zip, minus the .exe?

Thanks again for the help. I have been looking all over for the info but cant seem to find it.

E44
    In the zip you'll see a directory called SD. Copy the PALM folder (within SD) overtop the PALM folder on your sd card. After you're done upgrading erase the programs start.prc on your sd card and the device customizer folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_madness
    In the zip you'll see a directory called SD. Copy the PALM folder (within SD) overtop the PALM folder on your sd card. After you're done upgrading erase the programs start.prc on your sd card and the device customizer folder.

Thank you very much. I'm going to give it a shot now. (crossing fingers).
    Everything seems to have worked well. I was having a hotsync issue prior to the update so I chose to hard reset with the intention of manually reloading the apps after the update. I will do that now and post my results.

E44

Thanks again for your help treo_madness
    Ok, I have noticed somthing odd. I have done another hard reset, for good measure, after the update. I then went to the phone app, selected "phone info", from the dropdown menu, to verify my FW version. There is no version information listed at all. The IMEI Number and SA Number is blank as well. Any thoughts on this?

I did a SD method as mentioned above. My 650 is Unbranded/Unlocked I was going from 1.14. I used the download from the "Combined" zip.

Suggestions?

E44
    Can anyone confirm this idea that the SD version is outdated vs. the combined-SD version? I used the SD version on my locked AT&T Treo and it installed fine. I am showing Palm OS 5.4.7 and firmware 1.21.

What, if anything, is newer in the combined version?
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperManFan
    Can anyone confirm this idea that the SD version is outdated vs. the combined-SD version? I used the SD version on my locked AT&T Treo and it installed fine. I am showing Palm OS 5.4.7 and firmware 1.21.

What, if anything, is newer in the combined version?
    It seems to me that if anything its the combined verison that is incomplete. As I mentioned above, I used the SD combined and I dont show any FW version info in phone info.

I am going to try the update again, using the synch method from combined.

Wish me luck.

E44
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast