Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    I do not have a card reader, is there a way to stop the update when i put the card in so i can get rid of all the other langs?

what do I delete to get an english us install only?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I know how to get rid of the other languages IF the Palm reads the expanded files contained within the initial zip. If it reads the internal zip files: ace-palmos.zip, ace-palmos-tpl.zip, and ace-htc-tpl.zip, then there is no way. If it reads the expanded files (I've never gotten an answer to this, so I gave it both), then you can remove all the languages you don't want, using find on your PC or just removing them by hand. It is a tedious process, as I did it. When I was done, my Treo asked me if I wanted English, making me wonder if the other choices weren't some how there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilover
    OK, I am back, I posted over the weekend that I had endless trouble getting this upgrade to work at all, and now I can share some of the reasons. Because I got on this early, some of this may now be public knowledge. First, your SD card must be blank prior to starting. I spent a long time just copying the SD download file to my existing SD card, and nothing happened. I was able to manually run the Firmware updater no problem, but nothing else. Finally I read that the upgrade needed to reside in your Palm File, which I handled by trying to move the Launcher and Programmes file elsewhere. This made a mess, and didn't work either. SO, here's what to do. First, backup your existing Card somewhere, on your PC for example. Or, find a SD card you don't use, or one from a Camera. Second, wipe that card clean with whatever software you have. I used Missing SYnc, as I have a Mac, and that allows me to mount the SD card on the Mac Desktop. I then trashed everything on it. Next, copy the entire Palm file from the SD download onto your SD card. Here is where I still don'nt know the answer: Inside the "Palm" folder in the download are several zip files. At least on a Mac, if you zip the outer zip file, additional zip files that may be inside the outer one do not get unzipped. Since I coudn't fathom how the Treo would unzip the files, I unzipped the 3 files inside the Palm file that were still zipped. I left the original zipped files there as well. It is harmless, whether necessary or not, I don't know. Of critical importance: Inside the Palm folder should be two items at the same level: DeviceCustomizer [folder], and Start.prc. The Start.prc file must be at that level, or the process will not work. Do not forget to include it. Following a device hard reset, the upgrade process will begin automatically, as described. If for some reason it does not start, remove and re-insert your SD card.

My results have been outstanding. I have gained 8 - 10 meg of useable RAM !!!. My Treo runs faster, with fewer freezes and crashes. The sound quality on my handset is vastly improved, a much fuller, smoother sound. The speakerphone is louder, thought not too much louder. Rings are louder too. I have not tried my Bluetooth headset yet, but it never was a problem. This is how the Treo650 should have been released in the first place. It would be a home run, and will be, once this update gets into Cingular's hands. Oh, by the way, I had previously gotten Cingular to unlock my Treo (with no resistance, whatsoever), so I don't know if it works on locked phones or not. Also, the DUN Bluetooth is back, no need for the Shadowmite Patch.

I am so happy it's scary! It is worth the 8 hours it took, due to the fact I didn't realise how important the blank SD card was. I also ended up totally re-installing all my third party software, since I destroyed my SD card, and that, too, may be contributing to the clean performance of the unit.

I hope this helps.

ehh I actually used an SD card that had a bunch of crap on it. Even a DCIM folder with like 400megs of digital pictures. Its ALL about the PALM Directory.... After u do it, just clear it out so it doesnt auto run again and ur fine.... btw i am using a generic cheapo sd card as well..
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dakdag
    where is the link for a pc, the link at the beginning looks like it is for a mac??
    Why do you think it is a Mac link? Because there is no .exe file? I use Mac, but I don't see any reason this won't work on a PC, you just need to do it manually like we Mac users do all of our palm installs. All you need to do is somehow mount the SD on your desktop, or otherwise clear it and install the "Palm" download within the SD file to your SD card, and you are set to go. On Mac I use Missing SYnc to mount the SD card on my desktop like any other drive. I don't know if there is a PC equivalent, I assume so. Or, if your PC has a SD card slot, you could mount it that way. Otherwise, you'd have to ask a PC person what to do, but I would guess 90% of the users here have PC's.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Just did it. So far so good...
    Went from 5,5MB free to 9,7MB.

Have to try out the sound issues now - quality, sound level etc...

The HickUp's so far:
    - Looks like my photos in the media application are gone, but the photo assignment to contacts in Agendus are still there. Maybe the photos are moved to the "BUILTIN" hidden disk?
    - Seem like I have to press and hold the Option button to enter my PIN-code in phone. The PIN-dialogue screen would not accept press and release of the Option button - I have to hold it down
    - Slow network search seems persistant - slow also after the first connection attempt after upgrading (from the 2nd time on...)

And... still present:
    - System sound randomly turning on and off
    - Having to press red phone button twice to turn screen on
    Last edited by jorang; 04/28/2005 at 04:54 AM.
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Quote Originally Posted by swerv
    ehh I actually used an SD card that had a bunch of crap on it. Even a DCIM folder with like 400megs of digital pictures. Its ALL about the PALM Directory.... After u do it, just clear it out so it doesnt auto run again and ur fine.... btw i am using a generic cheapo sd card as well..
    Yep, I did similar. I think there have been a few reports where people were attempting to use an SD card they'd been using with the launcher, so there was already something in the PALM subdir before they copied the firmware update into it. In that case, I'd probably rename the original PALM folder and then rename it back after the update was done.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    Just did it. So far so good...
    Went from 5,5MB free to 9,7MB.

Have to try out the sound issues now - quality, sound level etc...

The HickUp's so far:
    - Looks like my photos in the media application are gone, but the photo assignment to contacts in Agendus are still there. Maybe the photos are moved to the "BUILTIN" hidden disk?
    - Seem like I have to press and hold the Option button to enter my PIN-code in phone. The PIN-dialogue screen would not accept press and release of the Option button - I have to hold it down
    - Slow network search seems persistant - slow also after the first connection attempt after upgrading (from the 2nd time on...)

And... still present:
    - System sound randomly turning on and off
    - Having to press red phone button twice to turn screen on
    Well...
    - Handset volume: Improvement is (at best) marginal - volume close to before update. - Handset quality very much the same as before installing update (...close to useless...)
    - Speakerphone - volume bad - useless unless "totally" quit surroundings, quality bad. I sincerly wonder why - considering the sound quality and level in the speaker when playing music from AeroPlayer...

On the positive side - no complaining about echoing from the other end - albeit this could be the line/ connection
    Guess the benefit from installing this update is expanding available memory...
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    thanks to those the blazed the trail and did it before me.

finally upgraded one of my treos to the new firmware. gained 4mb.

i used the sd method and use backupman to restore.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Anyone know off corrected issues?
    I mention the "block callerid", which does not work ok in fw 1.15.
    I have had the update on my Tero for a few days now and I do see less battery usage when just sitting on the counter at night. Before I could see a ~20% in power loss. After the upgrade, I can see less than 5~%.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curlykraut
    I have had the update on my Tero for a few days now and I do see less battery usage when just sitting on the counter at night. Before I could see a ~20% in power loss. After the upgrade, I can see less than 5~%.
    Battery life seems better here with 1.21 as well - I use Chatter so GPRS is on and connected all the time, and I used to find that 24 hours would leave my battery at 15-20%. Now, I find that I have more like 30% left. Need a larger sample size to be certain though.
    well i am excited to say after finally getting the files correctly transfered to my blank SD card, the upgrade was flawless. Everything, including my xpress mail, seems to be working fine. For those curious, I upgraded a locked cingular 650 to the 1.21.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    did any upupdae to firmware 1.23
    Quote Originally Posted by sthampi
    did any upupdae to firmware 1.23
    yap. just got done updating it. it went well with out any problems.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Where did firmware 1.23 come from???
    Has the upgrade been updated already? And, is it worth going from 1.21 to 1.23?

I, too, have noticed battery life improvements since the 1.21 upgrade. I also use Chatter, which can be a battery hog, and now do quite well on battery life. I disagree with some who say sound is not improved. On my set, it is far better in quality, and also louder. The speaker phone is generally quite loud, the handset most much smoother and clear sounding, but a bit louder as well. I am able to converse with no real problems at this point. Also, the Treo is much, much faster and more responsive, it move between applications with lightening speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilover
    Where did firmware 1.23 come from???
    See this thread.

Has the upgrade been updated already?
    Apparently they're going through several internal pre-release iterations before releasing the official version next week.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    any big difference from 1.21 to 1.23? I guess I'll do it, being a compulsive upgrader.
    Can some post the download link for ver 1.21 for the hotsync method?
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Could someone please email me the 1.21 files, the download is no longer available. jcook@ccs5000.com
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast