Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I posted this in the general forum but some suggested I post here since it is about the 650. I won a 650 in the recent contest and am trying to decide between the GSM and CDMA version. Please check out my thread over there..it has all my info and a bunch of responses already about service, but needs some 650 expertise. Thanks!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=82156
    Congrats on winning, but as to your two posts...what questions do you have? You have a general question posted here, exactly the same as the other thread. If you need information, perhaps pose a question that is more focused. What do you want to know about the 650? Difference in the GSM or CDMA? Difference in carrier plans? Difference in the phones themselves?

This is one of the many reasons people get mad about seeing multiple posts on the same question. Provide more info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    His question is obviously just asking for any opinions, pro or con, as to which service/phone combination is better. He tells you that he already has service information, and now he would like a little feedback on the differences in the devices.

I'd wager that for every duplicate post there is also a post that is telling them it's a duplicate, so the poeple that attempt to "police" this are adding to the space on the server and the clutter of the boards just as much as the original poster. Now if you are a mod/admin then I accept that it is your right/responsibility to monitor these types of things, but if you're another user, then what is the problem?

So, now to the question on the device. I think the GSM version of the 650 had things that were not in the original CDMA version. I know the unlocked GSM version does a couple of things the GSM version won't do out of the box (Bluetooth DUN, keyboard lights dim with the screen light). I belive the Sprint update fixed a lot of the problems, but I know before I read a lot of posts complaining about the length of time that it took to actually dial a number after hitting send and also low volume and just general poor performance as a phone. I don't know that these problems were reported as frequently with the GSM versions. I have a GSM 650 and yes, there are times it irritates me, but all cell phones I've had have irritated me in some way. I also don't think that going to a different service type would fix these (things like the numbers not beings selected by default in the call log, Versamail being there period).

I'd ask a few people that live around you what service they have and if they are happy with it. If the signal is not there period it doesn't matter how well it pulls one in, and there are areas with both types where they are weak or noon existant.

One thing I will agree with the previous poster, if there is anything you are specifically wondering about or is important to you then it would benefit you to mention them so you get better targeted replies.
    Thanks,
    JW
    Quote Originally Posted by Fry-man22
    His question is obviously just asking for any opinions, pro or con, as to which service/phone combination is better. He tells you that he already has service information, and now he would like a little feedback on the differences in the devices.

I'd wager that for every duplicate post there is also a post that is telling them it's a duplicate, so the poeple that attempt to "police" this are adding to the space on the server and the clutter of the boards just as much as the original poster. Now if you are a mod/admin then I accept that it is your right/responsibility to monitor these types of things, but if you're another user, then what is the problem?
    I definitely understand that he is asking for opinions and feedback, but if he already has a thread going where people are providing opinions and responding, why open another thread with the same exact question? And since you've breached the subject, how are your comments of my post any different from my comments?

I would have provided feedback rather than comments on the duplicate, had he provided specific questions, not the same exact question that was on another thread. That was what my problem was.
  5.    #5  
    well, the reason i posted a link to the original thread and not just a total repost was for the exact reasons you dinged me for. I didn't want a total duplicate thread but as some posters on the original thread suggested, i might be able to get some specific 650 info by posting on this board instead. Fry-man's response is the sort of thing that I am looking for. I have compared the two data sheets and it looks like the GSM and CDMA models are identical other than the radio.

but we all know that there a differences beyond what is on the datasheet. like, for reading through the WiFi hack thread it seemed like that worked on the CDMA model better (at least at one point) than on the GSM model. Or, if there are bugs or other differences in one or the other. I figured that the folks in the 650 board would know best about these types of things. I have read through alot of threads, but I have a limited amount of time to make this decision so that's why I'm requesting help here.

thanks,
    Collin
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsipe
    Congrats on winning, but as to your two posts...what questions do you have? You have a general question posted here, exactly the same as the other thread. If you need information, perhaps pose a question that is more focused. What do you want to know about the 650? Difference in the GSM or CDMA? Difference in carrier plans? Difference in the phones themselves?

This is one of the many reasons people get mad about seeing multiple posts on the same question. Provide more info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    somebody's jealous

I have been very happy with sprint for 2 years now.
    I chose Sprint over Cingular primarily based on plan costs. For two lines (only one is a Treo) with unlimited data service, Sprint had a better offer by about $70 a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    somebody's jealous

I have been very happy with sprint for 2 years now.
    Nah, not too jealous, I'm seriously happy for the guy. Just wish he would have posted an actual question instead of saying "read my other thread and give me 650 expertise". Since the Treo does a million things, there could be a million responses. Either ways, kudos to him for winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsipe
    I definitely understand that he is asking for opinions and feedback, but if he already has a thread going where people are providing opinions and responding, why open another thread with the same exact question? And since you've breached the subject, how are your comments of my post any different from my comments?

I would have provided feedback rather than comments on the duplicate, had he provided specific questions, not the same exact question that was on another thread. That was what my problem was.
    I believe my post was a bit different in that while it did address your comments, it also had information about his question; I would have replied even if your post had not been there. Just as this post seems "wasteful" since we are now on post five that is talking about wasteful posts, but since I am answering your question it is not wasted but pertinent . If you had not posted I and the original poster still would have, so this thread would have two replies at that point, but it had three; the extra and seemingly frivolous post here appears to be yours

Really though, it's not like there is a factory out there somewhere making posts and we have to be careful not to exceed their production pace, they're free (yes, I know storage costs money, but I have 2 free GMail accounts with 2 gig each so storage costs don't seem to be the issue they once might have been. That's what archives are for anyway) and if you are not a mod or admin with a responsibilty to handle these things then it's almost like infringing on free speach in the electronic world. Who are you to say my post is not important/accurate enough/provides enough info. If it doesn't ask for enough info, ask for more or don't reply. No need to give lessons on a successful post if you won't work with what you've got.

Anyway, I didn't want to get in a debate about this as no one will ever change their minds on this subject because of a wasteful post like this so please don't think I'm trying to be rude if I don't want to discuss this in this dudes thread anymore. If you have anything to add just PM me and we can go from there.

In the meantime is there anyone out there who has owned a CDMA and GSM 650 that could possibly give their take after using both devices? I still think my GSM is better than the no keyboard dimming CDMA (j/k nobody get upset )
    i've got sprint and i love it. i haven't had a single problem with my phone that i haven't caused. as far as the keyboard dimming goes, i use keyshade and thus can turn the lights off with the touch of a button. plus you can't touch the sprint data plan.

but your best bet is to talk to people that live in your area and see who their carrier is and how their signal strength is.
    everyone just get over the fact that people multiple post, don't search, and generally don't read the guidelines.....that's life here at TreoCentral. What is funny is the people that jump these posts with their own!
    or just get over trying to be preachy and just answer the question (whether it was stated or implied) that the guy asked. what's the big deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretender
    or just get over trying to be preachy and just answer the question (whether it was stated or implied) that the guy asked. what's the big deal?
    I have run into this on every single board I belong to. My favorite "Use the search feature, Stupid!" situation is when you've used the search feature, found a particular thread, ask a question within the thread, and still get the answer: "Use the search feature, Stupid!"

Now I hardly ever start new posts because I actually do use the search engine on the various boards I belong to. But when people get their panties in a knot when questions are asked within a pre-existing thread, that's when I get upset.
    By the way, sorry to bump an old and now meaningless thread to the top.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    As was mentioned before, I think data plan pricing can be a fairly important consideration assuming that you want/need an unlimited data plan for email, web, etc. Sprint is the clear winner here, at only $10/month. (Verizon is like $45 - that's more than my home cable internet!)

For me, with everything else being pretty well equal, the $10 data plan makes Sprint a no-brainer.

Sorry, I know that's not a GSM/CDMA thing, but I figured it was worth mentioning anyway in case he wasn't aware .
    Last edited by Minsc; 01/06/2006 at 06:51 AM.
    GSM! GSM! Unlocked GSM is much more flexible and should have higher resale value.
    -mbd26
    Sprint/cdma has the advantage from a price plan. And I might add, that I have had very little issues with the service.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I say get the Sprint version. Less churn on your wallet.
    It all depends on what you want to do with your phone. If you want to use Chatter for push email and use an instant message program that constantly connects to the web, I would say go the GSM route because with GSM data and voice are seperate. CDMA phones will send callers to voicemail if you are connected to web whereas GSM phones will not. This can be very annoying. I've heard that CDMA phones using EvDO will not send callers to voicemail, but I may be wrong.

I'm with Sprint (CDMA) and this is a minor annoyance.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Ya know what, he asked the question back in April, I bet he already has a phone :-)
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast