Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can the 650 be configured to support two different telephone numbers (one from my personal account and one from my companies account)? I hate carrying two phones - event two Treos. If so, what carriers support this?

Thanx, WWillie ...
    can't you forward one number to the other?
    Quote Originally Posted by WWombat
    Can the 650 be configured to support two different telephone numbers (one from my personal account and one from my companies account)? I hate carrying two phones - event two Treos. If so, what carriers support this?

Thanx, WWillie ...
    Nope..
    I looked into getting this done once. I don't know about the Treo, but some phones support multiple numbers. However, you can only have one number active at a time. You'd have to switch back and forth between the numbers. Plus it has to be with the same carrier.

I have the same problem at work, however since I purchased the Treo for my personal account, I use that phone and have my work phone forward to my personal. Works out just fine.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    Treo does not currently support multiple tell#. I know some SIM cards in asia can have multiple #.

However, you can call forward one of the numbers to your Treo phone#. I do that with my work and home#. You do have to pay for the forwarding features.
    Hey, that would be neat, but my suspicion would be not. Contact your service provider. If it were to work -- I would suspect that the service for both numbers would have to be provided by the same provider -- and then you have the problem of giving one "radio" (with a distinct identifier to the network) a dual personality.
    I keep my office phone (landline) forwarded to my cell phone. This way I only carry one phone. I only give out my office number for business. We have a phone system that I set it to ring in my office twice before it forwards. That way if I am in my office I can answer the phone without having to unforward my calls.
    Only the GSM phone has a chance at this. I still do not know for sure it would work on the 650, but you can buy an adapter that lets you put two SIMs into one 650 and then you switch back and forth by cycling the phone on and off (just the phone, no reset is required).

I don't think anyone has come up with a way to actually monitor both lines at one time - you'd need some custom software for this for sure since you'd have to choose which line you wanted to use for every call.

The use of two SIMs like this is very common in Europe (or at least in Great Britain), apparently.

Note that this solution relies upon SIM chards, not any particular carrier, so any GSM accounts should work just fine (Cingular, TMobile, Rogers etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Treo does not currently support multiple tell#. I know some SIM cards in asia can have multiple #.

However, you can call forward one of the numbers to your Treo phone#. I do that with my work and home#. You do have to pay for the forwarding features.

Looks like ronbo2000 answered his question. Not sure why there's "uncertainty" as to whether or not this will work on the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsipe
    Looks like ronbo2000 answered his question. Not sure why there's "uncertainty" as to whether or not this will work on the 650.
    Because the 650 may support dual SIM cards (we are not really sure on this point), which is not the same as two phone numbers with one card, which I think ronbo2000 has right in that it is not supported by any carrier (not that we know of, anyway).

This leaves the issue of supporting two SIM cards in one adapter still an open question.
    Is there any way to tell which line the caller dialed, when the phone call is forwarded to your phone? Special ring, etc.?
    I had my Nextel setup with two lines and they had seperate rings so I could identify where they were comming from. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Nextel$ $is$ $the$ $only$ $service$ $that$ $supports$ $this$.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    Because the 650 may support dual SIM cards (we are not really sure on this point), which is not the same as two phone numbers with one card, which I think ronbo2000 has right in that it is not supported by any carrier (not that we know of, anyway).

This leaves the issue of supporting two SIM cards in one adapter still an open question.
    When exactly do you mean by supporting dual SIM cards? Two SIMS in the Treo at the same time?
    I would think if ya bought two GSM phones, ya could just switch SIM cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I would think if ya bought two GSM phones, ya could just switch SIM cards.
    Yes, but this would require some forsight as to when someone is going to call on the other line
    You could cut 2 sim into one sim card size (buy it outside) and use sim tool to swap the number.

It works and doesn't require Phone off/on. However, it does require phone off/on for GPRS connection (seem the GPRS profile can't be refreshed if changing another number of another mobile operator)
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I had my Nextel setup with two lines and they had seperate rings so I could identify where they were comming from. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Nextel$ $is$ $the$ $only$ $service$ $that$ $supports$ $this$.
    All Orange handsets support 2nd line.
    This may be why the T650 has not yet come out in the UK etc on Orange, I think they are having problems getting the 2nd line to work 100%.

Having said that, Organge have released the T650 in some Europe countries, so I don't know if they are OK with 2nd line.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Yes, but this would require some forsight as to when someone is going to call on the other line
    I don't quite understand the need to be at everyone's beck and call every second of the day. I am starting to wonder how I managed before 1982 when I got my first mobile phone.

I would keep the business SIM in "9 to 5" and then switch. Ya wanna check for messages every hour or so, just swap cards and check voice mail. Let's take the mobile phone outta the equation and then ask the same question. Do people reallye xpect you to answer your offcie line at 8:30 pm ? or your home phone at 2:30 pm on a Monday ?

If someone wants to reach me during business hours, they'd call my office number. If someone wants to call me outside of business hours, they'd call my home or "private" number. If the caller ain't smart enough to work that logic, than they probably can't remember a 4th number to call you on anyway <grin>. Here's how I'd handle it on my voice mail.

"Hi, you've reached Jack's mobile business phone. If I am not answering your call, it's either because I am otherwise occupied or it's outside my business hours. If I have given you my private line, please feel free to call me at that number. If not, I do check this line for messages every few hours and I will get back to you as soon as I am able."
  19.    #19  
    Thanx for all the input ... since this is a solutio for my wife, the call forwarding idea seems to be the solution ...

Pax, Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I don't quite understand the need to be at everyone's beck and call every second of the day. I am starting to wonder how I managed before 1982 when I got my first mobile phone.

I would keep the business SIM in "9 to 5" and then switch. Ya wanna check for messages every hour or so, just swap cards and check voice mail. Let's take the mobile phone outta the equation and then ask the same question. Do people reallye xpect you to answer your offcie line at 8:30 pm ? or your home phone at 2:30 pm on a Monday ?

If someone wants to reach me during business hours, they'd call my office number. If someone wants to call me outside of business hours, they'd call my home or "private" number. If the caller ain't smart enough to work that logic, than they probably can't remember a 4th number to call you on anyway <grin>. Here's how I'd handle it on my voice mail.

"Hi, you've reached Jack's mobile business phone. If I am not answering your call, it's either because I am otherwise occupied or it's outside my business hours. If I have given you my private line, please feel free to call me at that number. If not, I do check this line for messages every few hours and I will get back to you as soon as I am able."
    Actually, when I had 2 lines they were both for business. My 2nd line was another area code so that my clients could call me with a local number.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast