1.    #1  
    I am looking to get a few apps (Mobile PDR, games, etc) and would like to put them on a memory card.

What are the disadvantages (if any) AND restrictions when using apps on the memory card??

I assume using the Palm 650 software, apps can be directly downloaded to the card rather than to the phone and then manually transferred to the card?

Thanks!
    a little slow
    thats all
    and some apps can't be installed on ram
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    To be more clear: There's a lag when loading the apps from the card, but once the app is running there is no speed difference.

I think wolwol meant some apps can't be intalled to the card (If I'm mistaken, please explain what you mean). Some apps that run "in the background" won't work properly when installed to the card, but this shouldn't be an issue for games and most other apps. Things like Butler, YAHM, KBLights, and other utilities that need to be able to respond to system events at any time may not work properly, but most of these apps are pretty small anyway. I've got a couple of dozen apps loaded to the card with ZLauncher, and have no problems at all.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Note: I saved a LOT of memory by moving Docs to Go over to my expansion card (more than 4MB). And, since I have Goodlinks installed, the memory saving is crucial. See this link: DocstoGo move to expansion card to see how to do it (very easy).
    Also some applications sync with their desk to counterpart so an application like splash money will work and run fine on the card but will not syncronize with the splash money information on the desktop. With the processor speed I've found minimal lag time with card applications. I forget what my card write speed is however.
    MobilePDR comes with an install-to-card option which will save you a lot of memory. The lag you experience will be less with a faster card. Some apps will simply not run from the card at all.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Another point, sometimes its not productive to put an app on the card if it then requires that its data be placed on internal in order to be read. Databases grow and databases are added and soon exceed the size ot the application.
    Good point. MobileDB is an app that allows all databases to reside in the SD card if you just want to read them. If you want to edit them, you have to move the to RAM. MobileDB will do this automatically for you - it will move to RAM, let you edit it, and move it back to the card for you. Really cool. www.mobiledb.com
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    For your desire action to take place, your internal memory (RAM) must have enough free space to accomidate the size of the application ran from the card. There is a lag because the systems needs to copy the files from the card into the RAM before running it. After it is closed, the app will copy the app back to the card and remove it from the RAM. Keep in mind that some application (like MMPlayer) will leave library files in RAM while placing the application or PRC file on the SD card.

The biggest issue is that you have to select the SD card from the category list in order to see the apps loaded on the card. This is not very convenient and becomes a hasle very quickly. Another thing is that you can not assign apps loaded on the SD to a hard button.

Using a 3rd party launcher app, like Launcher X, will allow you to see all apps (in RAM and on SD card) in the same list. Additionally with Launcher X, you can make shortcuts (similar to a shortcut on a Windows PC) in RAM that points to the app on the SD card. These shortcuts CAN be mapped to the hard buttons. Using the shortcuts and will product two icons (one for the shortcut and one with a little SD card icon to show the one on the card). Launcher X allows you to hide the icon on the SD card from the list and display only the shortcut icon.

The point is that running apps from the SD card is almost mandatory; however, to get the most effiencient use of it you must have a 3rd party launcher app.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
  10.    #10  
    GReat replies!

Epocrates (when fixed - will be my app of choice). I assume this can be effciently run from the SD card or will it require Launcher-X?
    Epocrates is unable to be run from SD card, even when using a launcher like Z-Launcher. There are ways of forcing certain modules of it to run, but it then loses it's update functionality.

Search the forums and you will find that this is a significant dissapointment many of us have with Epocrates; since almost all competitors allow for SD installation (and retain updating).
  12.    #12  
    I MobilePDR free like Epocrates??
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    Also some applications sync with their desk to counterpart so an application like splash money will work and run fine on the card but will not syncronize with the splash money information on the desktop. With the processor speed I've found minimal lag time with card applications. I forget what my card write speed is however.
    I use splshID on my card (moved with Powerrun) and it syncs with my desktop just fine.
    I tried Power run but caused a few errors with Listpro, AOL, etc, Programs that need to "talk" to your windows desktop will not work right and need to be in RAM...where is that dang memory update !! I am running out of room.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I screwed up while installing 1.08 updater and i had to reload the programs. So this time around I loaded eveything onto the memory card one by one (my treo has 22.1 mb of memory). The only things loaded onto my treo memory are ZL, powerrun, and backupbuddy. I use Powerrun to move apps back and forth. The only apps that will stay on my treo memory are those that will not run from a memory card. When I get a new app I first use backup buddy, then download the app to the treo and move it over to the memory card and run it through its paces. If there are no resets and everything works fine I will hot sync and use backup buddy again and I'm ready for the next app.