Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    [Note: The beta period has ended and KB LightsOff 1.2 has been released. See this thread or download it www.lilapps.com.]

KB LightsOff 1.2 Beta is now available. It mainly adds a number of customizations for Auto Mode that have been requested by many users. Specifically, it allows you to specify the following for Auto Mode:

- The number of seconds before keyboard lights are automatically turned off
    - Whether the application keys, 5-way navigator, Home and/or Menu keys should turn the KB lights on
    - Whether touching the screen should turn KB lights on
    - Whether to produce an audio tone when Auto Mode is toggled using one of the toggle keystrokes.

All these settings are available through the Options -> Auto Mode Prefs menu option (:menu: P).

Other changes (so far):

- Adds a low resolution icon for ZLauncher
    - Auto Mode audio tone volume now follows the system volume.

1.2b3
    - Added a warning when running from the SD card (program must be in RAM).
    - Corrected the program's version string to properly reflect its version (this is the version seen in the default launcher).

1.2b4
    - Fixed a problem where the use of the "Unused" setting resulted in Option-Alt not working in some cases.

1.2b5
    - Fixed a reset bug that showed up when toggling auto mode in the Messaging application.
    - Adds an icon for the default launcher's list view (also for McPhling and others).

1.2b6
    - Improved application icons

Version 1.2 will be a free update to registered users and I expect to officially release it soon. Please note that the file below is a beta version and you should treat it as such if you decide to install it. Although I have been using this version without problems, you should backup your Treo before installing it.

NOTE: If you are upgrading from a previous version, you should first disable your current version of KB LightsOff.

The latest beta version is 1.2b6 and it can be obtained from http://www.lilapps.com/KBLightsOffBeta.prc. As always, comments and suggestions are very welcome.
    Last edited by silverado; 05/13/2005 at 02:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I disabled my KBlightsoff AND deselect the reset option but after installing the beta, my treo went into the infinite reset loop. Had to hard reset and restore from my backup.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
  3.    #3  
    freudov23 and DocGo,

Thanks and sorry for your trouble. At this time I will recommend deleting the old version before installing until I debug this issue further.
  4.    #4  
    OK, I uploaded a MUCH better version that shouldn't have any of these problems. It will also not need a reset after installation. It can be obtained at the same place.
    Last edited by silverado; 04/22/2005 at 08:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Hey silverado, it's working perfectly now. Thanks for your quick solution to the reset loop problem.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    Can't get my 600 to work with the program. Every time I click on the program Treo goes into a reset.
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    Quote Originally Posted by write1here
    Can't get my 600 to work with the program. Every time I click on the program Treo goes into a reset.
    Its designed for the 650. If I remember right, the 600 has a built in keyboard option.
    Ah gracias....
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    Silverado,
    I thought this release was going to have schedule on/off lights for the keyboard.

Al
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Silverado,
    I thought this release was going to have schedule on/off lights for the keyboard.

Al
    What made you think that?

Seriously though, I think such feature will in reality have little practical value because darkness and light are not simply based on the time of day. One could often be in brightly lit rooms at night, in which the light isn't needed, and one could often need the lights indoors during the day. This will mean that the user would very frequently have to make exceptions to the scheduled times and manually change the light status. And once you have deviated from the scheduled state with a manual change, what is the correct setting the next time you turn your Treo on? Either answer would be annoying in some situations. Because of all of this, I think the value of such a feature would be dubious at best.

Having said all this, if many people still want this and believe it would help, I will add it.
  11.    #11  
    Al,

I just re-read your suggestion in the other thread about specifying time for auto mode, rather than for the lights. This makes more sense than what I referred to above. A remaining issue would be what happens if someone manually turns off auto mode when it's supposed to be on or vice versa?
    I would say, if automode is turned off then all scheduling feautures should be paused or ignored and then resume when automode is on.

Al
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I would say, if automode is turned off then all scheduling feautures should be paused or ignored and then resume when automode is on.

Al
    I feel this might make the application confusing to the user because it would make it hard to clearly display the actual current on/off state. Is this ambiguity really worth it since the most it would save all day is the two keystrokes needed to switch auto mode on at night and off during the day?
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I feel this might make the application confusing to the user because it would make it hard to clearly display the actual current on/off state. Is this ambiguity really worth it since the most it would save all day is the two keystrokes needed to switch auto mode on at night and off during the day?
    I think it is excessive. I believe in KISS
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I think it is excessive. I believe in KISS
    you could try http://www.nekito.net/~sachs/palm/keyshades.zip, which is about as simple as it gets
    Quote Originally Posted by doomsey
    you could try http://www.nekito.net/~sachs/palm/keyshades.zip, which is about as simple as it gets
    I am already extremely happy with KBlightsOff
  17.    #17  
    I just uploaded version 1.2b3. It has two minor modifications:

- Added a warning when running from the SD card (program must be in RAM).
    - Corrected the program's version string to properly reflect its version (this is the version seen in the default launcher).

It's awfully quiet in here, should I take this to mean that there are zero bugs in this program?
    It's working perfect for me
    You almost seem disappointed that it work too well
  19.    #19  
    Definitely not; just want to make sure enough people have tried it before I release it and I would like to hear the bad as well as the good.
    workin great here
    thanx sil
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast