1.    #1  
    i know ipods etc have attachments that allow you to listen you your mp3s on your car stereo, anything like this for the Treo?
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    if your headunit has an AUX input you can use that. I hooked my treo up to my headunit for fun and it actually sounded pretty good.
    I have a cassette adapter that works with the headphone adapter that works great.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Search for iRock, I believe there was a whole thread about that. Also, any fm wirless transmitter from CompUSA or the like will work. You will also need a 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter to connect them to your treo.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyedeas
    I have a cassette adapter that works with the headphone adapter that works great.
    I think most people who've tried both the cassete adapter and the FM modulator were happier with the cassete adapter.

I use the cassette adapter for my car.

I use the FM modulator when I'm traveling because rental cars don't have cassette players.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    I think most people who've tried both the cassete adapter and the FM modulator were happier with the cassete adapter.

I use the FM modulator when I'm traveling because rental cars don't have cassette players.
    what cars DO have cassette players? and what is a cassette? or this tape you speak of?
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    what cars DO have cassette players? and what is a cassette? or this tape you speak of?
    I spend all my money on gadgets, thus the 20 year old car
    one of the best FM transmitters is the Tunecast II because of it's optional Cigarette lighter plugin. On top of that you can Choose which channel to broadcast on, unlike the first iteration of the product (which I have). You can get it at Best Buy for 30 (sorta spendy).
    Nothing as good as a cheap cassete adapter to play not only your music but also to listen to internet radio with shoucast using pocket tunes: From Rome or Paris or Colombia or Israel or South Africa, all of these internet radio station on your car stereo System. No distorsion. Sounds very clear.
  10.    #10  
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...769675511&rd=1

would this work? what kind of adapter would i need, treo 600.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I have been using a cassette adapter for a long time and it worked great... I have the palmone brand 3.5 to 2.5 adapter.... But... I just got a new-to-me car that doesn't have a tape deck... So I went and bought an FM transmitter that plugs into my cig lighter... the little cable that came with it doesn't seem to work... This is what I've found:

I start an MP3 playing w/ nothing plugged into the treo. I plug the adapter into the jack on the treo and the sound stops playing out the speakerphone (to be expected)... then I plug the cable for the fm xmitter into the adapter and the speakerphone starts playing again... but alas, if i plug the trusty old cassette adapter in, it works...

Any ideas?
    Joe Molenski
    http://www.treotones.com
    Sharp Wizard:menu:HP 200lx:menu:HP 320lx:menu:Rex
    PalmVx:menu:Visor Prism w/VisorPhone:menu:Nokia 9290:menu:Treo 270:menu:Treo 600
    You can also get an aux connector for your head unit. If your car has the option to be able to control a remote CD changer, you can plug a harness (about $40) in to the back of your head unit that has aux RCA plugs on the other end. You can plug your Treo into that for a crystal-clear wired connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by santa

I think you are mistaking an FM modulator with an FM transmitter. A modulator is hardwaired between the radio and antenna and can sometimes give better sound than a tape adapter.
    An AUX input is definitely the way to go for the best quality sound. You can get one on OEM radios but very few stock radios have them. I was able to get something called a PIE connector on my stock radio. It plugs in where an optional factory CD changer would normally go and provides AUX input. These are available for many cars/stock radios.

I haven't tried the treo yet but my Archos MP3 player sounds great. The cost was $130 installed from a local automotive audio store. If you can't get one that works for you then an FM modulator is probably your best bet. many people have luck with FM transmitters but I always found them to be too weak and with poor sound quality.

This site is a good place to look if you're interested:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/
    Exactly what I mentioned above.
  16. MMT
    I spent all afternoon Sunday installing a wired FM modulator to replace my cassette adapter. I had to buy the modulator ($40) and track down antenna adapters for my particular factory stereo (another $35). When I finally got it installed, I turned it on expecting good sound and... it was awful. The cassette adapter sounded much much better. Yes, I did find a frequency on the FM dial that was unoccupied and set the modulator to use that frequency (it could be set to use eight different frequencies), and I did try a couple of other frequencies. I wasn't getting interference from radio stations; the sound was just flat, with no life or detail at all. I didn't expect it to sound perfect, but I was still shocked at how bad it sounded. Perhaps I did something wrong in the installation, though I'm not sure how I could have screwed it up.

So, I removed the modulator, patched up my console, and found a way to hide the cassette adapter cable by removing my stereo faceplate and running the cable straight out the bottom of the stereo. I'm happily using the cassette adapter and enjoying good sound, and the unsightly cable sticking out of the cassette hole is gone.

For what it's worth, most people whose opinions I found online said that the sound quality of various external interfaces for connecting phones or iPods could be ordered like so, from best to worst:

aux in/CD changer adapter > cassette adapter > wired FM modulator > wireless FM modulator

No one makes a CD changer adapter for my factory stereo, so I'm stuck with cassette for now.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CojonesDeToro
    I think you are mistaking an FM modulator with an FM transmitter. A modulator is hardwaired between the radio and antenna and can sometimes give better sound than a tape adapter.
    You're right. I've only played with transmitters. Haven't tried the hardwired modulator.
    I'm headed down this path with a cassette adapter... if it will work.

What MP3 players work well on the 600? I couldn't find a thread discusing those options.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I think most people here use PTunes
    Last Saturday I had an FM modulator professionally installed -- $175 for the full install on my Jeep. I've now got a standard mini jack that I can plug into my Treo. I've been using my Treo to play MP3s using PTunes and it sounds great.

At first there was a slight "hiss," but I put the Treo volume to maximum and then used the Jeep volume control (I have controls on my steering wheel) to make adjustments and that corrected the problem. No discernable background noise. I have infinity speakers and I'm quite pleased -- the sound is quite full.

Tonight on the way home I was listening to MP3s when I got off the train. Got to the Jeep -- unplugged my headphones, and plugged in the Jeep -- and just continued playing. Cool!