1.    #1  
    My t650 sprint has been acting a bit buggy. A few more resets, a little more often. I also lost my chattermail imap inbox (preferences) even though they are supposedly still on my handheld.

So, I thought doing a zero out reset may be just what the doctor ordered to purge out the old/pre-updater/after updater treo setup.

What I'm wondering is (I've never hard reset/zero-out reset before)..are the files that I have in my backup folder ok or is it possible that they are in some way corrupted? In other words should I start completely form scratch--setting everything up preferences, having calendar/mail override handheld instead of using backup file, etc. or is it ok to just use the backed files after the zero out?

I'm not sure it works that way but any help on how to go about this would be most appreciated.

PizzaRascal
    476 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzarascal
    My t650 sprint has been acting a bit buggy. A few more resets, a little more often. I also lost my chattermail imap inbox (preferences) even though they are supposedly still on my handheld.

So, I thought doing a zero out reset may be just what the doctor ordered to purge out the old/pre-updater/after updater treo setup.

What I'm wondering is (I've never hard reset/zero-out reset before)..are the files that I have in my backup folder ok or is it possible that they are in some way corrupted? In other words should I start completely form scratch--setting everything up preferences, having calendar/mail override handheld instead of using backup file, etc. or is it ok to just use the backed files after the zero out?

I'm not sure it works that way but any help on how to go about this would be most appreciated.

PizzaRascal
    PizzaRascal -

All I can tell you is that I had the exact same experience as you - I loaded the Sprint 1.08 Updater on T650, hot sync'd with my existing backup folder, and ever since them I have been experiencing soft resets followed by Chatter losing an IMAP account. I soft reset, deleted chatter, reinstalled, same story. I hard reset, deleted all chatter files from my backup folder and reinstalled chatter, same story. I Zero Out Reset, deleted all chatter files from my backup folder and reinstalled chatter, same story.

Finally, I Zero Out Reset and before I hot sync'd I renamed my Backup folder and then hot sync'd and finally, I have Chatter running without losing accounts/mailboxes. So my advice to you is to bite the bullet, zero out reset, rename your backup folder and do not hot sync any prior backup files to the Treo, and then reinstall all 3rd party apps. Let me know if this works for you as well.
    I can't see why a Hard reset would not suffice. it is very unlikely that your ROM is corrupt and that is what is re-written when you do the zero out. It is tricky to perform, and P1 do not recommend it, that is why they made it so tricky to perform (the two hand and mouth action). I would hard reset and rename backup file on the PC and reload each programme until I found the culprit that was causing problem with Chatter. A System reset will then let you remove that offending programme.
    Don't use a hammer to crack a nut.
    I did a zero reset the other week, not because I had a problem, but because I occassonaly "clean my device". I renamed my backup folder, but took some files out and put them into the new folder, as I wanted to keep some (bookmarks, favorites, midiringtones...stuff like that).

Good luck with whatever way you choose to do it.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks everyone for the thoughts/tips so far.

After I reset...let me see if I got this right regarding backup folder....is the idea to have the device hotsync, not find the backup folder hence the rename, and then have it create a brand new empty backup folder?
    At that point...take files (preferences,etc.) from the old folder that need to be replaced and then do another sync?
    Is it not a good idea to use the old preferences files as they may be corrupted?

Thanks in advance!
    476 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Scudder may be correct in that you only need a hard reset for the Chatter issue. I don't know as each time I hard reset, I had previously sync'd databases in my Backup folder. The Zero Out Reset is a bit tricky, but I wanted to get Chatter working and that is my killer app and I had run out of solutions. BTW, I don't see any difference b/w a hard reset and zero out as you are losing all of your data either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    BTW, I don't see any difference b/w a hard reset and zero out as you are losing all of your data either way.
    one tells your device that this space in memory is now available to save data in again, the other essentially formats the memory (changes bits back to 0). Technically you can recover from a hard reset, data is not really erased, but on a zero reset it is.
    after the 1.08 update I did do a hard reset. funny thing is, backupman was only the second app installed after the hard reset but it would crash the treo every time I attempted a backup!! I remember a thread going around a while back that a hard reset on the 650 is not what we've become accustomed to on non NVFS devices. I actually did a zero-out reset the other day and revisited the whole backupman thing and it is working like a charm now. a zero-out reset is definitely more thorough than a typical hard reset.

from my own experiences, if I were to decide to go through the effort of rebuilding my treo from scratch again, why NOT do a zero-out reset? don't know of any disadvantages at this point.
    -- berto