Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Just hard reset my 650 to ensure that my backup program would run flawlessly....

    it did but expalin this...
    my cache for blazer is 1 mb
    restore my files....

    free space before 9.6 mb
    after.........

    13.5MB

    unlocked gsm with firmware 1.14 still
    where is all this dirty memory coming from that i had to reset to release it?!?!?!
  2. #2  
    What backup program do you use
    Build Systems, Not Products
    <center>All Comments © Copyright Clarence C Middleton 2005-2006, All Rights Reserved<br /> <a href="mailto:ClarenceCM3@gmail.com">ClarenceCM3@gmail.com</a><br /><ahref ="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx">http://www.middleton.ath.cx</a><br /><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><img style="width: 124px; height: 54px;"src="http://www.middleton.ath.cx/photos/middletonlogo.gif" /></a></ahref><center />
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceCM3
    What backup program do you use
    Ditto.. and how accurately did it backup your files and preferences? I want to do a hard reset as well but my treo is heavily customized.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    Ditto.. and how accurately did it backup your files and preferences? I want to do a hard reset as well but my treo is heavily customized.
    The Truth,

    I use BackupMan. I perform nightly backups. However the real power of BackupMan (or any backup program) is making sure you always have a "Stable Backup".

    It works like this- You hard reset your Treo and install your applications and perform your tweaking. You then immediately perform a backup (call this your “stable backup”).

    You are then free to install and delete programs as often as you like. When things get corrupted- simply hard reset and go back to your "stable backup".

    If you find some settings or programs that you would like to permanently retain then simply do the following

    1- Hard reset.
    2- Restore the "stable backup".
    3- Tweak and install the new “keeper” apps.
    4- immediately perform a new “stable backup” backup.

    Here is my point- I find myself reverting back to my “stable backup” several times a week (sometimes several times a day). I can absolutely vouch for BackupMan’s dead on accuracy to perform a perfect backup and restore every time. Obviously I some times revert back to my latest (or not so latest) nightly backup with no problems as well.

    Embrace the BackupMan!
  5. Silver5's Avatar
    Posts
    529 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #5  
    Nice trick, I hope it works when I try it too!

    However, the one time I HAD to rely on BackupMan on my 650, it failed me. It did not restore anything in my calendar. None of the numerous backups would restore the calendar. I had to beam everything over from my old Treo 600, which had been synchronized with my computer as well the day before.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    Nice trick, I hope it works when I try it too!

    However, the one time I HAD to rely on BackupMan on my 650, it failed me. It did not restore anything in my calendar. None of the numerous backups would restore the calendar. I had to beam everything over from my old Treo 600, which had been synchronized with my computer as well the day before.

    Try my free backup program. It's back ups everything, even the rom "I'm working on that"
    Last edited by ClarenceCM3; 10/30/2007 at 04:03 PM.
    Build Systems, Not Products
    <center>All Comments © Copyright Clarence C Middleton 2005-2006, All Rights Reserved<br /> <a href="mailto:ClarenceCM3@gmail.com">ClarenceCM3@gmail.com</a><br /><ahref ="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx">http://www.middleton.ath.cx</a><br /><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><img style="width: 124px; height: 54px;"src="http://www.middleton.ath.cx/photos/middletonlogo.gif" /></a></ahref><center />
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigG65
    Here is my point- I find myself reverting back to my “stable backup” several times a week (sometimes several times a day).
    Good god almighty, what are you DOING with your Treo? I haven't had a reset in weeks, let alone anything that would make me want to hard reset it! I've done a hard (zero out) reset once because I installed old ZLauncher 4.x which I tied to the home key and didn't have anything else installed to remove it, and it was crashing. But it was the first thing I had installed, so after figuring out the painful zero out sequence, it was easier than fooling with it to get around the problem. Probably could have reset+up on 5 way and then removed it, but that's in the past
  8.    #8  
    I am using cardbackup

    http://www.jkware.com/CardBackup.php

    haven't found anything so far that didn't get restored.....
  9. #9  
    You can also restore small amounts of memory by doing the occasional self-initiated soft reset. A program here on the forum called "Memory Info" will help you see the breakdown of the memory system. Check before and after the reset and you'll notice the difference. A soft reset restores the little extra memory lost daily. I would only do a hard reset as a last resort.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceCM3
    Tree my free backup program. It's back ups everything, even the rom "I'm working on that"
    Did you use it with the treo650 ?
  11.    #11  
    cardbackup of course even restored my volume preferences...
  12. #12  
    same with me regarding calendar restore......didnt put calendar items back! I use backupman.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Good god almighty, what are you DOING with your Treo? I haven't had a reset in weeks, let alone anything that would make me want to hard reset it! I've done a hard (zero out) reset once because I installed old ZLauncher 4.x which I tied to the home key and didn't have anything else installed to remove it, and it was crashing. But it was the first thing I had installed, so after figuring out the painful zero out sequence, it was easier than fooling with it to get around the problem. Probably could have reset+up on 5 way and then removed it, but that's in the past
    ha- I know it sounds a bit abusive to hard reset that often. However I enjoy poking around, experimenting, exploring, installing and not to mention deleting new programs. My stable backup is exactly that- "S T A B L E". Try some of what I just mentioned and you will soon realize that a 7 second restore is the quickest way back to stability.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by olac
    Did you use it with the treo650 ?

    Sorry I haven't Tested it on the 650, but others have, and they say it works "slow".

    give it a try, it's free.
    Build Systems, Not Products
    <center>All Comments © Copyright Clarence C Middleton 2005-2006, All Rights Reserved<br /> <a href="mailto:ClarenceCM3@gmail.com">ClarenceCM3@gmail.com</a><br /><ahref ="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx">http://www.middleton.ath.cx</a><br /><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><img style="width: 124px; height: 54px;"src="http://www.middleton.ath.cx/photos/middletonlogo.gif" /></a></ahref><center />
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceCM3
    Sorry I haven't Tested it on the 650, but others have, and they say it works "slow".

    give it a try, it's free.
    I tested it (just saving and not backing up) but it's really, really slow...
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    Just hard reset my 650 to ensure that my backup program would run flawlessly....

    it did but expalin this...
    my cache for blazer is 1 mb
    restore my files....

    free space before 9.6 mb
    after.........

    13.5MB

    unlocked gsm with firmware 1.14 still
    where is all this dirty memory coming from that i had to reset to release it?!?!?!
    Did you have pictures stored in RAM? Backup programs do now know how to backup/restore these files. The extra space may be because you are missing your JPEGs.

    Jeff
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by olac
    I tested it (just saving and not backing up) but it's really, really slow...
    Yeah, it uses not type of compression, and each filename is maintained. This is good if you only need to restore a single app. But It does Work. Wait till you need to you need to restore "it's a life saver"

    As for speed, it's a backup program, that is making a complete copy of your entire Palm internal storage disk to SD card. that's 22mb's plus.
    Build Systems, Not Products
    <center>All Comments © Copyright Clarence C Middleton 2005-2006, All Rights Reserved<br /> <a href="mailto:ClarenceCM3@gmail.com">ClarenceCM3@gmail.com</a><br /><ahref ="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx">http://www.middleton.ath.cx</a><br /><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><img style="width: 124px; height: 54px;"src="http://www.middleton.ath.cx/photos/middletonlogo.gif" /></a></ahref><center />

Posting Permissions