1.    #1  
    i was wondering i have a sprint 650 and i really want a cingular 650 because of the highspeed gsm so i was wondering if you think i could trade in my sprint 650 for a cingular 650
    NO.

Now, for the rest of the story. First, I've had both (currently Cingular) and I am satisified (it was an issue of change in address eliminated Sprint coverage). However, Cingular Edge is only marginally faster than Sprint Vision in my experience. I was lucky, and got MediaNet Works for $19.95 before Cingular repriced everything in January. You cannot beat Sprint's Vision unlimited at $10 per month under ANY existing Cingular plans. In fact, new Treo 650 users are often shoved by Cingular into a $49 per month unlimited data package ON TOP of voice minutes. Unless you have to move to Cingular because of coverage, employer changes, poor reception, etc. don't move until Cingular starts to get competitive on their data rates.

Oops - forgot to answer your basic question - the only "trade-in" service out there is eBay for your old, and discounted long-term contract prchase for the new one.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Vision is $15 a month I think.
    The only reason to change would be for GSM roaming outside of the US and Canada. I needed this, so I switched:
    -The MediaNet data plan is all you need, $25/month unlimited, but still $10 more than Vision. You can not buy the phone from the store w/ this plan, you will have to purchase it from the web or leave the store with the $45-whatever plan and call up and switch when you get home.
    -Speed's about the same
    -Coverage for me about the same
    -Cingular service is far worse. Took me about two dozen calls and two trips to Cingular stores to get my old number correctly ported and to get voicemail working. Another surprise was that my phone wasn't fully enabled in other cities in the US. I think this is straightened out, but on my first three road trips, it hasn't worked on arrival, so I've yet to determine if it's fully resolved. Mind you, it's not corporate malevolence, I think, just corporate chaos--it's relatively hard to get things that you're supposed to have (like a working phone) and relatively easy to get things from them that you're not (like an unlocking code so that you can pop in SIMS from other service providers--a bonus for cheap local calling abroad).
    Quote Originally Posted by flypenfly
    Vision is $15 a month I think.
    Vision is $10 a month if you have two phones on the plan($10 for each phone).

There are promotions that give you free vision, which I was fortunately able to take advantage of.
    I can't speak to the number porting issue as I have always been with Cingular. I have found the service to be fine. Like anywhere else, you are best to educate yourself first, by at least reviewing their website thoroughly, and then contacting the firm knowing what you want before hand. The phone reps seem to have gotten a good bit more knowledgable about Treo's and what plans are appropriate over the last year, or so. All in all, I'm very satisfied with them.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    I switched from Sprint to Cingular (had 650 with Sprint / now have Cingular 650) ...... ported my number with no problem. Don't see that much of difference in either data speed or coverage area (although I assume I will when I travel overseas). The Cingular GSM 650 has been much more stable than I had experienced with the Sprint CDMA 650 - although I switched before Sprint's recent ROM patch that may have dealt with some of those issues. My Sprint phone soft reset almost once a day ..... with Cingular it's been more like once a week .......
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    Vision is $10 a month if you have two phones on the plan($10 for each phone).

There are promotions that give you free vision, which I was fortunately able to take advantage of.
    Vision is $10 a month as well if you call them up and ask to be taken off the $10 credit download plan. You no longer can download ringers with a $10 credit, so if you see one you like you have to come out of pocket a whopping $1.50 but they also take your Vision plan down from $15 to $10. Think about it... With the extra $5 added on to the Vision plan to get your $10/month credit, you're paying $60 a year or $5 month to download silly stuff you'll probably never use.
    No...Do not switch...The data rate on both sprint and cingular are very close...although, If I remember correctly, Cingular does have a marginally better data speed (like 10k/s or something close....nothing that is going to be really noticeable)...However, if you do make the change, you will have to pay for Cingulars unlimited PDA plan, which is $40/mo instead of sprint's Vision, which is $15/mo. You can (although you aren't supposed to) use Cingular's unlimited Media net option, which is $25/mo...however, if they find out you are using a PDA on the media net option, they can charge you $0.03 for every KB you use...and THAT will be a bill of atleast several hundred (if not thousands) of dollars. However, I havn't heard of a case of this happening.

In my opinion...if it aint broke, don't fix it. If sprint's coverage works good for you, then don't switch...If sprint's coverage doesn't work, then give cingular a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamstew
    You can (although you aren't supposed to) use Cingular's unlimited Media net option, which is $25/mo...however, if they find out you are using a PDA on the media net option, they can charge you $0.03 for every KB you use...and THAT will be a bill of atleast several hundred (if not thousands) of dollars. However, I havn't heard of a case of this happening.
    Where did you get this????

The worst that would happen is that may drop your data plan. If that happened you'd most likely simply be unable to connect to the internet. I don't think they'd just switch you to pay per use. And if they did you can easily argue that they're charging you per KB while you were on an unlimited plan and that it was their mistake.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G