Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Which file types and codecs are playable in each of the players?

The format that playes the best for me in both is .ASF created by QuickInstall when I copy an .AVI (MPEG-4/DivX) to the SD Card. I'd like to know what other formats are supported by these players...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Aloke,

Get The Core Pocket Media Player (free) as it supports .AVI files (unlike the Palm OS's Media Player).

I'm not sure what other formats TCPMP uses, but what else do you need if you can playback .AVI files on your Treo?

I've tried using the QuickInstall method. And it works. But, I found that the converted file (.ASF format) was nearly 3.5X's larger than the .AVI files--wasting valuable space on my SD Card. Furthermore, the Palm's Media player, has crappy playback and shrinks the playback screen size rendering unacceptably.

Using TCPMP, I can simply copy .AVI files directly to my DCIM's "Video" directory (or whatever you designate yours). To me this is more preferable because:

a) It's much faster using a Card Reader to directly copy the files
    b) Its is more Memory space efficient (.AVI files smaller than QuickInstall's same-file converted to .ASF files)
    c) The playback on The Core Media Player is much better

HTH!
    It also supports MP4/AAC files made with Nero Recode that are higher quality than AVI files.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    It also supports MP4/AAC files made with Nero Recode that are higher quality than AVI files.
    I wouldn't go that far. I haven't seen anything better than my 2-pass xvids, and I've seen mp4 samples. Rather than get into a long discussion, let's just say that they both are very good when done right.
    The MP4 that I sent you was of a higher quality than anything that you could do with xvid given the filesize. When I make an MP4 at the same high bitrate as the AVI that you sent me, Recode looks better.

Here's a little comparison: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/131/5

It's not that AVIs can't be made to look as good as Recode MP4s, it's just that they will take twice as long to encode and take up more space just to reach the same quality level. I prefer to have a few full-length movies on my 1GB SD card along with other video clips and MP3s.
    Last edited by 2000 Man; 04/21/2005 at 01:23 PM.
    Fair enough, but you did say "higher quality" without mentioning file size

Now that TCPMP plays both, everyone now has the option of doing whatever is best for them, that we can agree on Each has its pros and cons (price, file size, encoding time, etc).

Maybe we can both attach clips and let everyone else decide, since everyone can now play them

EDIT: http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/codecs-104-1.htm Click here for a test of many codecs, in which NeroDigital was compared more favorably just over Xvid, so there you go.. Xvid won the 2003 doom9 battle, but Ateme's NeroDigital AVC won in 2004. It's funny because Xvid won with speed in 2004, but Nero was faster in 2003.
    Last edited by handtruck; 04/21/2005 at 02:06 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Avi files can have many codecs. Clearly, TCPMP supports Xvid,DIVx, MP4/AAC and ASF. What else?

I know they don't support MPEG-2. How about MPEG-1?

I was hoping that someone was maintaining a list ...

Aloke
    Sent from the Treo, with BT Keyboard
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    MPEG-1 is supported, just not MPEG-2.

I wonder if they'll be able to encorporate support for the H.264 codec. It's the best one on the market and is what the Blu-Ray disks will use. The new Tiger OS also uses it, as well as Nero Recode 2.
    .ogg support for music
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    And it supports avi files with ogg sound (I've tried it), in addition to ogm files (choose your own video codec + ogg sound).
  11.    #11  
    I found this at the TCPMP forum

http://corecodec.com/modules.php?op=...ic&p=7544#7544

"Which audio / video codecs and containers does BetaPlayer supports?"

Audio codecs
    - Mpeg 1 LayerIII
    - Advanced Audio Coding
    - Ogg Vorbis
    - Musepack
    - Adpcm, uLaw
    - WindowsMedia Audio
    - AC-3 (except on smartphones)

Video codecs
    - DivX
    - XviD
    - Mpeg4-SP (plus B-frame support)
    - Mpeg1
    - M-JPEG
    - WindowsMedia Video (only on wm2003 and above)

Containers
    - AVI (*.avi)
    - Matroska (*.mkv, *.mka)
    - MP4 (*.mp4, *.m4a)
    - Ogg Media (*.ogg, *.ogm)
    - ASF (*.asf)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I didn't see .mp3 on the list. Is this supported as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by guncollector
    Using TCPMP, I can simply copy .AVI files directly to my DCIM's "Video" directory (or whatever you designate yours).
    I assume you do this by popping the card into a card reader on your desktop PC ?
    Reason I ask is I have tried the PalmQuikInstall method with these two files and they won't play:

http://www.funnyjunk.com/movies/60/R...ccident/stream
    http://www.funnyjunk.com/movies/55/H...a+shirt/stream

Well more correctly said, I hear them but video stalls.

There's also some mpa files there that won't load into the Installer.

http://www.funnyjunk.com/movies/56/M...d+folks/stream
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    I didn't see .mp3 on the list. Is this supported as well?
    .mp3 is

Audio codecs
    - Mpeg 1 LayerIII
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I assume you do this by popping the card into a card reader on your desktop PC ?
    Reason I ask is I have tried the PalmQuikInstall method with these two files and they won't play:

http://www.funnyjunk.com/movies/60/R...ccident/stream
    http://www.funnyjunk.com/movies/55/H...a+shirt/stream
    Those are .WMV files. According to the list I posted, "WindowsMedia Video (only on wm2003 and above)" is supported. Maybe those videos are of the older WMV format...

Also, the file itself (Container) has to be .ASF Quickinstall converts mpeg-4 (Divx) to a .ASF format before copying it to the SD Card.

So, try copying the .WMV file directly to the card using a card reader or Cardexport.

I don't know what conversions are done by QuickInstall. That is largely ignored here in these discussions...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I have TCPMP ver. .71 - how did you guys get it to play ASFs? MPGs and AVIs work fine for me.
    I also noticed (by trial, and eventual error) that it doesn't play the movies recorded by the Treo itself: .3gp
    If I remember correctly , Nero recode uses the H.264/AVC video codec. Do these play with TCMP version .71?
    Quote Originally Posted by fortezza
    If I remember correctly , Nero recode uses the H.264/AVC video codec. Do these play with TCMP version .71?
    Use the AVC decoder with TCPMP. Best video quality available is by using Nero to encode and TCPMP w/AVC to decode.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    can we talk about file size? I want to watch DVD movies on my treo (on airplanes) I d/l fair use wizard but it just made a 700 mg avi file? I heard you can shrink down files without too much quality loss... any ideas?
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast