Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Greetings,
    I just wantd everyone to know that using Shadowmite's application, information and ROW rom image on an unlocked GSM Treo works fantastically! I removed the BS out of the ROM, the language files, Versamail, Real Player, SIM Services (this application is not supported with T-Mobile sim cards and just crashes and exits anyway) and inserted important apps (to me) like Worldmate Pro, Snappermail, Kare Kare II, Filez, Archicalc, Beampro, Bluefiles, Ewallet, Mergic VPN, Mobile TS, Pocket Tunes, and Tibr.

This is SO cool!!! I haven't had this much fun since the days of the Palm Vx and creating Vx Rom images. (I had one with a built-in backup app, TDK Blue V drivers, SMS app, Scout Sync, OmniSky files, etc)

So far the Treo seems stable, and the apps in ROM are ok. Kare Kar has a slight issue in that its files can't be restored from an SD card, only hotsynced. And I goofed on a couple of file versions, putting slightly older ones in the ROM (whoops...) but no biggie, I can create a more refined ROM later.

Fun, fun, fun!!!! The process was straightforward, and not too heart wrenching. I will have to experiment to see what other apps might best run in rom, but now I also have over 12 mb free in ram, and no useless icons or apps I don't use.

* Z3bum does the Bruce Willis jig... *
    I've been told, heard, and even experienced issues with PTunes in ROM. What version are you using?
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    My mistake, in my enthusiasm I haven't tested everything yet. Pocket Tunes 3.06 does NOT work in the ROM. In fact, copying the app from an SD card to RAM also doesn't work. Well no biggie, I have a fair amount of refining of the ROM to do anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    I've been told, heard, and even experienced issues with PTunes in ROM. What version are you using?
    No problem, just wanted to clarify as to not mislead any "new" users. I'm also a Custom-Rom freak and have tried to cram everything I use frequently into ROM. Ptunes was one of them
    z3bum, thats great news! For myself, and maybe others that are less than talented, could you provide some step by step instructions? I downloaded shadows "t650rom.exe" where can I get the unlocked gsm row that you used? Thanks.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Better yet, just post your ROMS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy
    just post your ROMS?
    Unfortunately, ROMs cannot be posted here.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    The trouble with posting a ROM I built is that it could have *cough* questionable apps *cough* in it... For example applications that need a serial number to work, and for some unknown reason... now they just don't!

What I might be able to do is to take the unaltered ROM and put it somewhere. I'll look into that, and in the next couple of days compose more detailed steps to doing this.

ROM mods are a big deal, there was a program for OS3 that could do this, but the guy who wrote it vanished into obscurity. From what I can tell, updating the Treo 650 is actually a bit easier than the older Palms, but then you also have a ton of foreign (or if you happen to be French, English) apps stuck in there. My favorite thing to remove? SIM Services application. It seems to have no purpose with a T-Mobile sim card. And of course Real Player and VersaMail.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy
    Better yet, just post your ROMS?
    Cool. Thanks.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO