Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

I just got my stoway keyboard and I really like it... especially the neat touches like the small holes on the side to put your stylus (that was smart

Now that I can type and edit things on my palm using the keyboard (basically as a laptop replacement) I need to find a prg to edit the documents in the palm and in a format that I can easily work back and forth between word and the palm...

I've tried smartdoc, pedit and I will try isilo... but what do you guys think? I want to make this as painless as possible, so that I'll be more inclined to use it...

thanks!

Art
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    I'm in the same boat as you (getting ready to buy Stowaway)
    and need a good word proccessing program.

Let me know what you decide as I haven't tried Pedit or any of the others.
    I use a Visor DX
    Therefore I am cool!
    You might try Takenote, from Landware (www.landware.com). It has a great conduit to your desktop that automatically converts the files to a Word doc format. The other nice thing is that if you drag a Word doc to the conduit folder, it's automatically converted and transferred to the Visor the next time you synch.

Of course, this program was free for us Gotype users...

4.    #4  
    I looked at takenote, but I refuse to pay 30 bucks for something that comes for free with the keyboard... I may buy the keyboard just for it... I like the idea of the "Send to" conduit for takenote, but I'm not sure it's worth 30-40 bucks compared to the other programs...

Art
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    I recommend pedit. The learning curve is a bit steep, but it makes every day using it a day with a new discovery. It is by no means a word processor -- you won't find that for a Palm, yet -- but it is an excellent text editor designed to minimize the need for your stylus while you are using a keyboard.

BTW, the author is CONSTANTLY improving this program. I am on his beta list and I download a new version 3 or 4 times a week!! (Not for bugs, for new features!) This program was first introduced early this year, and there are already several 100 cool features in this editor. He is VERY responsive to ideas from users.

tyler

[Edited by tyler on 09-24-2000 at 12:39 AM]
    bioart:

I have been using the Takenote demo and it is NICE. The conduit was very easy to use. Now I have the dilemma of do I buy the Gotype and get Takenote free or do I buy the Stowaway and get Takenote seperate.

Where's my magic 8Ball from my childhood?
    I use a Visor DX
    Therefore I am cool!
  7.    #7  
    As an update...

I gave in and registered peditpro I liked the software quite a bit, and the support from Paul seems to be top notch...

Though the other options were appealing, pedit seemed to be more complete, especially if I want to use it as a laptop replacement... now, if only I could get my Samsung phone connected to the visor while using the keyboard at the same time... (I guess the test board from efig kinda allows this, I think

Art
    Originally posted by kalaban
    Where's my magic 8Ball from my childhood?
    There's still several available... The Oracle is my favorite
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    MARKEAGLE:

Thanks for the link! I didn't know this existed

[Edited by kalaban on 09-26-2000 at 05:42 PM]
    I use a Visor DX
    Therefore I am cool!
    STOP! I'm telling you, the GoType keyboard is cramped. The Targus StowAway Keyboard is a Full size keyboard. I see ZERO difference in the feel of the keyboard as compared to your Desktop Keyboard. However, there is a MAJOR difference in the look and feel fo the GoType. I have used them both, and I bought the StowAway. Hands Down, it FAR surpasses the GoType.

For those of you considering the purchase of the GoType keyboard becuase you get free software with it, please, oh please! Spare yourself! I would have paid $150. for the StowAway. IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!! AND IT ONLY COSTS $100.00!!!!!

tc.

[Edited by ASPGuy on 09-27-2000 at 03:37 PM]
    tc.
    Both the Stowaway and the Gotype are excellent products. The Stowaway for its coolness and size, the Gotype for its durability and hotsyncing support. There's not reason to passionately flame one or the other.

BTW, I own the Gotype and I love it. There's more space for stickers on the keyboard cover.
    If a conduit it all that you need, I use docinout, It's free and if you can just cook book the instructions it will convert any test document to a palm and do data bases and spreadsheets too. I've only used the text convertor and it's great....all you do is simply right click on any text document and it will convert and install it on your palm device! (BTW I have a stowaway keyboard and only gave $70 for it at Staples....remember they compete with the web, just find the cheapest price, print it out and they will match it without shipping!) Good luck
  13.    #13  
    I cant find a reference for docinout... where can you get it?

Thanks!

DocInOut v2.51 (for PalmPilots using the Palm OS 2 and above)

Copyright 1999 Skip Bremer. All Rights Reserved.

This program is freeware for non-commercial use only and absolutely no warranties or guarantees are provided.

The latest version can always be found at http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Foothills/1307/

good luck Josh

Better yet try
    http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/te...00Z98&b=zdpalm

[Edited by jbowma4 on 09-29-2000 at 06:44 PM]
    PEDIT!

Nothing compares to Paul and his dedication to the development. The functionality (which I look for in all applications) is supreme.

Paul, if you ever do read here... Thank you.
    I just saw something called Megadoc from Palmgear.
    It's $18.95 and cheaper than Pedit, Takenote. Has anyone used this?

My Takenote demo is running out and I WILL not pay $30.00 for a text editor.
    I use a Visor DX
    Therefore I am cool!
    I tend to be one of those guys who does all kinds of research and then picks the best product on the market at that given point and time and then thinks that it's the best there is. Can you identify?

I'm telling you, at this point in time, SmartDoc is THE best on the market. Documents to Go would be nice, if it didn't install 4 (count them, 1, 2, 3, 4) text editors, AND if it would allow one to edit a document. SmartDoc does jus that. It alllows you not only to read doc's, but to edit them too! Unfortunately, one does have to have a third part editor, (like Documents to Go), to sync with your desktop. But STILL! SmartDoc is AWESOME!

tc
    tc.
    Originally posted by kalaban
    I just saw something called Megadoc from Palmgear.
    It's $18.95 and cheaper than Pedit, Takenote. Has anyone used this?
    This was released a while ago. Several users reported problems with errors and resets which is why I suspect it was removed. Now it's back...

I tried it today and guess what? Every time I went to use it, I got a Fatal Error that required a reset. After the third attempt, it went bye-bye. It might be a good editor/reader package IF they ever get the bugs worked out.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Looks great, but takes some getting used to regarding the interface. For example, how do you get back to where you started from? Not intuitive.

Also, when using the StowAway keyboard, it won't recognize the first charachter on a new paragraph.

One last thing, the font size is nice in that you can made a word or phrase a different font size, BUT when you try to make it go back, it MAY or MAY NOT allow you to do so.

tc
    tc.

Markeagle:

Guess I won't be trying Megadoc. Thanks for the info and prevention of some resets!
    I use a Visor DX
    Therefore I am cool!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast