1.    #1  
    Hey folks. I just noticed that my Sprint contract expires in six days. I have been thinking about adding on a second phone.

I was wondering if any one has tried to get double discounts by signing a two year contract and asking for the 18 month loyalty rebate (or whatever it's called).

If someone out there has been successful at this let me know. If this works, I will pass my 600 off to my wife and get a new 650.
    Well, the 18 month rebate requires that you sign a new two-year agreement, so no, you can't double-dip. I think you are getting confused on the rebates available. You get an instant rebate when you are a new customer or are adding a new line of service, and they offer you the 18 month mail-in rebate for upgrading phones on existing lines of service.
  3.    #3  
    I fall under both catagories though. Especially if I wait until the day after my plan expires.
    My contract is expiring - thus I will be signing a new two year agreement AND I will be upgrading to the 650.
    You will only be able to get the $150 mail-in rebate if you are going to upgrade your existing line. If you are going to add a line of service, you will get a $150 (or whatever they're currently offering) instant rebate. You can't get both unless you buy two Treos, and you'd still only be getting one rebate per line if you do that.
    For instance:

Upgrade current line of service. Pay $599 plus tax and receive a $150 mail-in rebate from Sprint. This requires that you have had the same phone active on your current line of service for 18 consecutive months and that you resign a two year contract.

Add an additional line of service. Pay $449 for the Treo. This requires that you sign a new two year contract on the new line of service.

These are different rebates that serve different purposes. You can't combine the two on a single line.
  6.    #6  
    Gotcha. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    Well, the 18 month rebate requires that you sign a new two-year agreement, so no, you can't double-dip. I think you are getting confused on the rebates available. You get an instant rebate when you are a new customer or are adding a new line of service, and they offer you the 18 month mail-in rebate for upgrading phones on existing lines of service.
    If you sign a new two year deal for your existing line you will get the $150.00 mail in rebate. If you then add a second line (new #) you will qualify for the instant rebate on that phone (new customer pricing). It sounded to me like that's what you want to do. If this is correct then you will get both ($150.00 back on the Treo, and new customer pricing on whatever phone you buy for the second line). If you meant could you qualify for both on one phone (the Treo for example) then MisterFuhrman is correct, you will not get both.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    That's exactly what I said. Reread my post. I'm also pretty sure he meant getting both rebates on one line due to his "Sprint Scheme" thread title.
    Last edited by MisterFuhrman; 04/21/2005 at 09:48 AM.
    So you can haggle and scam with sprint for 150 off or go to bestbuy.com or other online vendors and get 250 off. super.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius
    So you can haggle and scam with sprint for 150 off or go to bestbuy.com or other online vendors and get 250 off. super.
    Yup.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    So here's what I did...

I went to the SPCS website, business solutions, wireless phones, all wireless phones, treo 650. SPCS offers 20% discount PLUS $150.00 instant savings to business accounts.... I know, you don't have a business account... keep reading.

Print a copy of the SPCS web page that shows the discounts on the 650, take it with you to the Sprint store, (or you can call telesales - I was told I could get the 20% this way too, but I didn't want to wait for my phone - telesales told me to go to the store with a copy of the 20% discount) explain to the store CSR that you want a Treo 650 you qualify for the $150.00 instant savings (18 month upgrade), and that telesales told you that the store would honor the 20% savings as on the website (you don't have to make a big deal about the business account, but my store figured this out, and honored the discount anyway, as telesales told me they would, there IS a discount option in the computer for a 20% for PERSONAL ACCOUNT customers too!!!).

You will get your treo 650 for $329.00. You can also ask (if the store doesn't do it, call in later to customer care) for a $10 unlimited vision plan (rather than the $15 they like to charge)... THEY WILL GIVE THIS TO YOU TOO IF YOU ASK! (this saves another $60/year)

I have explained this procedure before, and have been told by several other forum members that it worked perfectly for them... I have yet to be told it DID NOT work. Let me know how it goes for you.

You can still add a second line, and they will give you $150.00 off the new line (since you already have the 600, I'd ask for a credit to your account - I don't think they'll give you a rebate since there isn't a purchase of a new phone)

GOOD LUCK!!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Well I tried this below and neither the store nor telesales would give me this additional discount. All I am getting offered is the $150 18-month handset discount. Just got off of the phone from them in fact.

IV

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhas
    So here's what I did...

I went to the SPCS website, business solutions, wireless phones, all wireless phones, treo 650. SPCS offers 20% discount PLUS $150.00 instant savings to business accounts.... I know, you don't have a business account... keep reading.

Print a copy of the SPCS web page that shows the discounts on the 650, take it with you to the Sprint store, (or you can call telesales - I was told I could get the 20% this way too, but I didn't want to wait for my phone - telesales told me to go to the store with a copy of the 20% discount) explain to the store CSR that you want a Treo 650 you qualify for the $150.00 instant savings (18 month upgrade), and that telesales told you that the store would honor the 20% savings as on the website (you don't have to make a big deal about the business account, but my store figured this out, and honored the discount anyway, as telesales told me they would, there IS a discount option in the computer for a 20% for PERSONAL ACCOUNT customers too!!!).

You will get your treo 650 for $329.00. You can also ask (if the store doesn't do it, call in later to customer care) for a $10 unlimited vision plan (rather than the $15 they like to charge)... THEY WILL GIVE THIS TO YOU TOO IF YOU ASK! (this saves another $60/year)

I have explained this procedure before, and have been told by several other forum members that it worked perfectly for them... I have yet to be told it DID NOT work. Let me know how it goes for you.

You can still add a second line, and they will give you $150.00 off the new line (since you already have the 600, I'd ask for a credit to your account - I don't think they'll give you a rebate since there isn't a purchase of a new phone)

GOOD LUCK!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nukular
    Well I tried this below and neither the store nor telesales would give me this additional discount. All I am getting offered is the $150 18-month handset discount. Just got off of the phone from them in fact.

IV
    WOW!!...

That simply sucks... did you walk into the store, or just call 'em?

I know most people here (and I have had the same experience in the past with lesser projects) that you can get COMPLETELY different answers from two different CSR's, both at the store and especially on the phone... But my first try out, both telesales and the store CSR offered (and of course I bit at the store). I've explained this before, in older threads (here's an example):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=71953

and was told of success.... see post #7 from gatorfan, I also remember being PM'd by another member who wanted my phone # just in case he had a problem, he got the 20% discount too.

You can see from this thread, there are even better deals than this that people have gotten... maybe it's just dumb luck (since I have no good luck, this would be as close as I'll ever get!). I guess you'll want to try another store if you have several in your area like I do, or go back to the same store and hit up a different CSR, or call a different telesales person.

I am sorry for the trouble man, I'll stop recommending this idea like it's an obvious working deal.

Thanks for the heads up!
    I'd do this. Walk into an "all carriers" brick and mortar. Let the knowledegable salesperson do all your arguing for ya. Here's what will happen. Ask the guy how much a Cingular new Treo will cost ya.....should be about $299 or less as that's what Amazon is selling them for. Then have the salesman call Sprint to ask about porting your number because Sprint won't match the $299 price and watch the magic happen.

Of course, tell the salesman you want to stay with Sprint up front and let him do the job for ya. I was with AT&Tingular when I walked in to the store....they cancelled my old account and started up a new account so I could get all the new customer discounts. And I got a better phone number in the process....this one is actually in the same area code and is very easy to remember.
    Why not buy a 650 from the treocentral store for 289. Sign up for a new plan, then once you receive the phone go into a store and add a second line and upgrade your plan. I would think that they would also be able to switch your old number from the 600 to the 650. This way you get the treo for 289 for signing up a new account. You would have to make sure that you put the new account under your wife's name in order to get the new customer discount.

I am planning on doing this, but I am a brand new customer.