Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not necessarily better, but nowhere near as bad as it seems by a consensus of posts on this board. I almost never even tried it myself based on all the posts.

First let me give you a little background on my usage of email on my T650. I have SBC Yahoo! DSL internet at home which somes with a standard POP3 email, of course. I use Yahoo Mail (not Outlook) most often as the desktop application to access emails daily. My Inbox at any given time has 150-200 emails in it.

Back to Palm world...

This is where in a few ways, I prefer Versamail. The first and foremost is the SPEED of checking email. I always hated how Snapper seemed to "scan" each and every email in your Inbox before it could download the new ones. 1..2..3..4..ugh.

Secondly, the auto sync doesn't hijack the whole unit (turn on screen, slow email check, full screen unavailable) while it's operating, i.e.Snappermail.

I do miss being able to move my emails to the SD card, but I realized that I don't really have a need to archive MBs of emails on my Palm. At home on a desktop, sure, but not on my Palm.

There are surely PROS and CONS with every choice, but for my $ (in this case $0.00), I will stick with Versamail until Snapper can speed up their email accessing, and send it to the "background".

Comments? Also, please share your experiences with both and YOUR major reasons for choosing one over the other. Alos, enlighten me if there are features I've missed in Snapper based on my post.
    I use Versamail exclusively. I tried the demos of Snapper and Chatter. Chatter caused all sorts of frequent resets. Snapper just sat there, trying to connect to my IMAP server for about 5 minutes before I gave up. I also prefer the Versamail UI to the other two.

Sure, it has some bugs and limitations, but based on my experience, so do the others. Most importantly, it works for me and gets the job done.
    Heh, trolling for comments just for fun? Somebody always starts the versa vs. snapper vs. chatter every month or so.

I always tell people to start with Versamail since it's free and built in to the ROM; if you don't like it for interface or stability reasons, move to Snapper (ultra stable, POP, enterprise) or Chatter (IMAP). About half stay with versa; about 30% go with Snapper, and the remainder use Chatter and make fun of the rest of us for having to wait for our emails...

I happened to settle on Snapper since I was one of those for whom Versa kept resetting my Treo, and we don't have an IMAP server at work.

I think they all have evolved to the point where they each have advantages, there isn't a clear hands down winner for all circumstances.
    I think you're 1 of about 3 people who recommend Verasmail, LOL! I am like you were at first. I too am afraid to use it due to all the reset posts, although it was OK when I read the welcome emails from Cingular. Does it allow IMAP access? And can you reply to email? Sounds like your computer has to be on to use it(which I hate)? I would have preferred Snapper(or another program like it) because it connects directly to the server. And are you unable to delete your trash as others have mentioned? Thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    Heh, trolling for comments just for fun? Somebody always starts the versa vs. snapper vs. chatter every month or so.

I always tell people to start with Versamail since it's free and built in to the ROM; if you don't like it for interface or stability reasons, move to Snapper (ultra stable, POP, enterprise) or Chatter (IMAP). About half stay with versa; about 30% go with Snapper, and the remainder use Chatter and make fun of the rest of us for having to wait for our emails...

I happened to settle on Snapper since I was one of those for whom Versa kept resetting my Treo, and we don't have an IMAP server at work.

I think they all have evolved to the point where they each have advantages, there isn't a clear hands down winner for all circumstances.
    Actually, I'm glad he posted. I was wondering something similar, if Versamail could do the email job alone. So it does allow IMAP? Does it fetch webmail with IMAP access? Thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz

Trolling? Is that what my post looks like to you? Re-read it with a clear mind. Maybe you spend too much time on the board and now you're jaded?

You could have kept your first 2 sentences to yourself. You had a decent post outside of that. Thanks for the other 80%.
    I do like how Versamail displays rich text (specifically from gmail). I sent a test message to versamail, snappermail, and chatter, and versamail is the only one that displayed the colored/italic/different size characters properly.

Am I missing something? (disclaimer, I don't use versamail, i use snapper. i love chatter but i don't have faith in it's stability right now...)
    I'm pretty happy with Versamail as well.

Just wondering though, do any of the other e-mail programs allow advanced reply options -- where your reply message would say "on April xx, 2005, John Doe wrote:" and then give the quoted text where each line is preceeded with ">" marks?)
    Lady Treo, let's clear up some misconceptions about Versamail.

1) It works fine with IMAP. It even connects with SSL, which one of my servers requires. I have over 10000 messages in one of my Inbox, and it still works fine. I have it set to download only messages which were new in the last 3 days. It usually takes less than a minute to download new mail.

2) Yes I can reply to email. I can even send the reply.

3) VersaMail works independantly of my computer. My computer does not have to been. It connects directly to the mail server.

4) I have no problems deleting my trash.

Anything else? Oh, yeah, I had occasional crashes at first, but the Sprint 1.03 to 1.08 upgrade fixed them. Now Versamail is rock solid for me.
    helo der guys
    palmone agent here.... we recomend versamail to customers... it is easy to use...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I think you're 1 of about 3 people who recommend Verasmail, LOL! I am like you were at first. I too am afraid to use it due to all the reset posts, although it was OK when I read the welcome emails from Cingular. Does it allow IMAP access? And can you reply to email? Sounds like your computer has to be on to use it(which I hate)? I would have preferred Snapper(or another program like it) because it connects directly to the server. And are you unable to delete your trash as others have mentioned? Thanks!
    I don't use or know about IMAP using Versamail. I just emptied my trash with no problem.

Strangely enough, I actually LIKE SnapperMail (as I said in my OP) and have purchased a registered version. I had every intention of loading and using it again (coming from T600 to T650). I only ended up using Versamail on "accident" (sort of), after the 1.08 update.

My new focus now with the Treo650, I'm focusing on Keeping Things Simple...since it seems so fickle, and I honestly like simplicity in my gizmos.

I'm sure if Versamail (or any program for that matter) begins to cause frequent crashing of my Tre-Tre...I'll have a different opinion. http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ons/icon14.gif
    I like versamail as well over snapper. I mean snapper is cool dont get me wrong, but i find versamail looks a lot nicer
    versamail is rock solid for me & I am able to empty the trash
    Actually, those were questions I wasn't sure about. Thanks for the info, Doc!

As for crashes, I'm on Cingular so I don't know if the crash problem was fixed or not on GSM.

from day one I gave been using versa with little to no problems .. I never used any other clients and right now I don't feel a need too..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    I have used Snappermail for a long time and I like it a lot. However, I didn't like the long downloads and the constant turn ons of my screen and the lack of push mail. So I went with Chatter. My first 3 days were a nightmare and had resets 5 times a day or more. Then, I found out the problem and fixed it. However, I still was having resets 3 or more times a day. Later on Marc fixed lots of bugs and Chatter became more stable. I belive the last 3 betas have been really good.

For now, if I had to recommend a rock solid mail application I would say Snapper Enterprise. But if I'm asked for a great one with lots of features and awesome customer service, then I would say Chatter.

Marc is doing a great job and if you have the time to test the betas and send your bugs reports then go with Chatter. I love testing new versions and sending my comments.

Al
    I use and like Vaersamail. I download (POP) e-mails, leaving them on the server. After deleting the junk mail etc, I empty the trash, pick "Both" and on the next connect, VMail deletes those messages from the server.

Everything works like it should.

However, I wish VMail displayed images in HTML e-mails....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I also use and like versamail. 1. it's free 2. it has a very clean interface 3. it does what I need it to do (fetch email on an "as I need it basis").
    What needs to be fixed,,,,,1. the timeouts on some "gets",,,,2. I cannot get auto synch to work,,,since day 1. 3. I would also like the HTML in emails....
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Does Vmail allow you to download attachments?

Snapper does and that is a big thing for me.
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by llarson
    Does Vmail allow you to download attachments?

Snapper does and that is a big thing for me.
    Yes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast