1.    #1  
    I have a Motorola HS850 headset which refuses to work with my treo (GSM Cingular). It also will not work with my friends Sprint Treo 650. After going to the cingular store today the salesperson informed me that the only headset that would work with a Treo is a plantronics one ... however a quick search on these forums shows that at least a few people are using this combo (HS 850 and a Treo 650).
    what gives ... the salesperson reasoning was that the treo only supports a certain type of profile which the headset doesn't .. this seems like bs to me. Is there something i need to do to get this working or is my hardware defective.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    are you sure you paired it and entered the passkey on the Treo?? I use the hs810,same model with less batt life, and it works fine. It does only support the headset profile not the handsfree profile.
    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/bl...atibility.html
    Quote Originally Posted by lukatmyshu
    After going to the cingular store today the salesperson informed me that the only headset that would work with a Treo is a plantronics one ...
    Ask this braindead individual if the Treo Wireless Headset has a shot of working with the Treo.

1. Are you following all the directions for "pairing" ?

2. DId you enter the correct "code" ?

3. I found I had to hold the button down for 12 seco9nds instead of the 8 stated in the manual to initiate the pair.
    I have an HS850 and it's working perfectly with my 650.

You're either not following the directions correctly or your phone/headset is broken somehow.
    yep hs850 works great with my 650 ( as did the 810 i had before exchaning it for 850) and i use t-mobile with an unlocked gsm phone
    Please ignore the self-importants that claim you can't read or follow directions. There is most definately a problem with combination of the 650 & the 850, if you have run other bluetooth devices.

I used and disliked the HS820; lots of drop outs and it took forever to connect on a call. So I was really excited when I bought an 850 at a PalmOne store on my way through Atlanta Airport. I was never able to get it to pair and when I returned throught the airport, the store clerk was also unable to get it to pair and returned my money (great service!). However, just before I left, I tried the Cardio unit and it wouldn't pair either. Ah ha - not the HS850's fault then.

I had to catch my flight, so couldn't play with it any more, but I think the issue is I also use the ThinkOutside Bluetooth keyboard (love it) and TomTom Bluetooth GPS - totally awsome. After I returned home, I read a post about someone with a similar issue and someone recommended deleting all trusted devices and removing any files related to bluetooth (I would want to do more research on this before I started deleting files). Once local vendors start carrying the 850 or the Logitec mobile freedom HS, I will try it once again. Good luck and let us know if you get it working.
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    For the two posters above who claim the Moto 850 works with their 650, can you report if your HS850 auto-connects on outgoing calls? I know the original poster is asking about basic pairing, but when I read that people have the 850 and 650 "working perfectly" together, I get curious. If so, you are the only 2 folks at TC who have been able to make this happen. Thanks for any clarification.
    there were many that had the problem with outgoing or incoming calls NOT autoconnecting AFTER they installed the Sprint firmware update. But this is a TREO problem NOT headset problem.
    I have the HS850 and a Cingular T650 and everything works well for me. I did notice that after I got the Think Outside BT Keyboard, and paired the devices, if I left the Keyboard driver enabled, and the palm was "listening" for keystrokes, that the HS850 would not connect to the T650 for calls, whether outbound or inbound. When I disabled the keyboard driver, the HS850 would work again. If you have a BT keyboard, this could be the reason. Other than that issue, I haven't had one problem connecting with the HS850 to the T650.
    Newton 100 > Newton 120 > Palm IIIx > LG Phenom Express > Palm 505 > Treo 300 > Tungsten T > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750
    I have an HS 850 and if I dial from the phone I have to push the HS 850 button to make it connect. The same with an incoming call, when it rings, I hear it on the Palm and have to push the button on the headset. When a call ends, the headset seems to lose its connection within a few seconds, which is why you have to make the connect everytime you want to do something. Even if you make a call, hang up and make another 10 seconds later. I like the headset but this will get annoying because when I dial I forget to push the Motorola button everytime.
    Will the PalmOne Headset work better?
    Not that it matters, but i second mikeap's notions. I would like to see the page noted above by JayL updated with a "last updated" stamp on it. ( compatible ) none of the latest available units are on this list. Although the "headset" units are supposed to alert to incoming calls, the 850 i have isn't doin that. Returning this unit as soon as a suitable replacement is determined.
    mikeap....I just got my P1WHS two days ago, and since I have been using it, I can say that it is much better in terms of the connection and the auto transfer from the phone to the headset. It is also just as clear for me and my callers. The one negative that I have so far is that it has a little more static when away from the phone than the HS850. I think I will probably keep the new headset and return the HS850, but thats just my opinion.
    Newton 100 > Newton 120 > Palm IIIx > LG Phenom Express > Palm 505 > Treo 300 > Tungsten T > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    For the two posters above who claim the Moto 850 works with their 650, can you report if your HS850 auto-connects on outgoing calls? I know the original poster is asking about basic pairing, but when I read that people have the 850 and 650 "working perfectly" together, I get curious. If so, you are the only 2 folks at TC who have been able to make this happen. Thanks for any clarification.
    No,i do not auto connect. I am doing alot of pressing of the headset button in orderto connect on outgoing and incomming calls. It really doesn't bother me too much. I like the hs810/850 design with auto off when folding the headset. Actually, to be specific, i notice when the phone is off, and i open the hs850, it stimulates the phone and then auto connects on dialing out, but if the phone is already on and I open the headset then i need to press the headset button to connect. Fortunately, the dialing delay of the 650 allows me to connect in time

all in all i like the headset(hs 850) and will stick with it. My only complaint is that I would like a mute button( on the headset)
    Last edited by lite blue; 04/27/2005 at 10:34 AM. Reason: forgot something
    My HS-850 works fine but the volume is still low. Sounds fine in a quiet room, but even the noise in my car (witht he windows closed) is enought to make listening a strain. And yes, I have installed the patch. Is anyone else having this problem?
    After days spent trying various ways to pair the HS850 with the Treo 650 (Sprint, 1.08) I finally gave up and gave the HS850 to my wife. It works perfectly with her Motorola phone. I got the Treo Bluetooth Headset from Palm One. This works extremely well...not perfectly...but well enough...very occasionally a call won't go thru to the headset, but I have had no other problems, volume is good, very comfortable, etc...Sam
    Last edited by DocSam; 04/27/2005 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo
    I got my 850 today. Works great. Good range, excellent on/off feature (which is why I bought it) and it rings in my ear when I get a call. So far, it's the best one I've tried.
    What do you mean by the HS850 will only use the handset profile instead of the handsfree profile...will you tell me how to synch it as a handset instead of a hands-free kit?
    Worked fine before installing the 1.08 update

Now when I want to make an outgoing call with the headset, the first call I make will result in the headset connecting without volume.
    I then have to redial a second time (after pressing the multifunction button) to connect so I can hear the call. If I make several calls within a few minutes this only happens the first time I attempt to connect

The first time I connect people get the ring on their phone but they hear nothing. Why is this happening?

Very annoying

Any ideas?