Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Its a shame. I used to look forward to adding this program and that program but with all the resets and such, I am content to just have it working. From time to time it resets when I do this or that, and I avoid those behaviors.

This has become an exercise in fear. What a shame. I now have gone more into the desktop applications of my computer, as I see much more stability there.

PalmOne had the opportunity to keep us in their midst with great software. I can't wait to leave this unstable ship. Of course the 650 competitors went under, so PalmOne still has a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    PalmOne had the opportunity to keep us in their midst with great software.
    You're complaining about software issues, but does P1 make the software causing your problems? Maybe it is time you took up the matter with the makers of this software you would like to try and have them test that their software works with a T650.

To me this is an issue for the developer of the software package. P1 only provides the platform. Its up to the developers to work within it.
    The Treo 650 as shipped has a lot of system bugs in it, that make the apps not work. Sometimes the developers can work around these issues (but they shouldn't have to), but sometimes they cannot.. the OS coudl just be broken, and is in a number of spots. Sure, apps have bugs too of course.. but OSes have bugs as well, and the T|T5 and Treo 650 have more than most other PalmOne devices have had. With my 650 it seams to more or less work as expected (and I put a lot of nasty and in-development software on there , but I know the OS bugs and how to avoid them.. but its still a bit odd when it just won't turn on once in awhile for instance. Thats purely an OS bug. Also, why does the device sometimes take 3-5 seconds to turn on, when an SD card is in, and nearly instantly when the SD card is out? OS bug. And crash or hang when you delete records from the PIM database from anotehr app.. OS bug. And.... one can go on and on Fortunately, some fixes seam forth coming, and theres some updates coming in the pipefor devs so we can work around some of the really bad issues. (It is very expensive to deal with this sort of thing, but the 650 and T|T5 are otherwise super sexy, so its worth doing workarounds for..)

jeff
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I agree, skeez. the 650 is a sweet looking device, although it certainly does have problems, which raises concerns along with enthusiasm equally.
    I think its only sensible to discuss the weaknesses as well as the strengths of such an expensive investment. but unfortunately, there will always be some who think that by doing this that one HAS to be a "treo hater" or something silly like that.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    When I upgraded from Windows2000 to WindowsXP was it Microsoft's fault that my W2K Epson Photo700 DJ printer drivers didn't work on the new platform?

The fact is that if you are an early adopter of any technology you will find yourself out on the cutting edge, no make that the bleeding edge. Not all new platforms are fully backwards compatable. That is a good thing. If you dont think that it is then just look at Windows95 and 98. Unstable bloatware, much of it to do with making it backwards compatable.

Dont wory; the OS bugs will be worked out, the developers will catch up, the device will stabalize. It is the cycle of life of any new platform/technology. The frustration is the price that you pay for being an early adopter. I use to stay at least one version back on all of my Windows OS for this same reason (an still do to some extent). For me that price was not worth the benifit of being an early adopter. With the Treo 650 my cost benifit analysis comes out pro Treo 650. But this is a choice that you all have to make individually. Could P1 have done things better, sure they could have. But what cutting edge tech product is there that you cannot say the same thing about, on some regard.

My 2 Cents,
    E44
    Quote Originally Posted by skeezixcodejedi
    Also, why does the device sometimes take 3-5 seconds to turn on, when an SD card is in, and nearly instantly when the SD card is out? OS bug. And crash or hang when you delete records from the PIM database from anotehr app.. OS bug. And.... one can go on and on

jeff
    I have not had any of those issues. I do not have this SD card slow startup issue folks have talked about either. Even with an SD card in my T650 starts up right away.

Enzo44 has already said it pretty well. With every new release things change. Old apps and hardware not tested on the new device might fail. It happens with all software and hardware matters.

For some reason though many folks enjoy pointing the finger at P1 instead of looking to device makers to patch their software to work with the changes.

Given all the various software on the market it has become much easier for folks to target one company P1 instead of looking to the multiple software makers that need to modify their code to work with the new device.
    And of course there would be less issues if the software makers made sure their apps were P1 certified.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Are you sure it's software related. Do you have BT activated? If so turn it off and see if your problems go away. Mine did so I swapped my Treo 650 out for a new one and have not had another lockup even with BT activated for a week straight.
    SprintPCS Treo 755p
    Darnell,
    I have read many of your posts and you must be the luckiest person in the world. Whenever anyone has a problem with their 650 you are always in there indicating your 650 has never had that problem and it not P1's fault, but the owners.

I do not have any third party applications on my 650 and have about 5 soft resets a week. The last one was triggered by Calender. But according to your logic that is my fault because I entered an appointment !

And before you tell me to send it back to be replaced, I am on my 4th unlocked 650!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Darnell,
    I have read many of your posts and you must be the luckiest person in the world.

Maybe I am and considering the issues I dealt with in the past with my old defective T600 I have paid my dues to finally have a working device .

All I can say for you is that I would not be a Treo owner if I were in your shoes.
    Plus, that friend of mine I mentioned in this thread has had his T650 for almost a week now and has not told me about a single issue yet. And he's already running PTunes daily.

So we must be 2 lucky guys. Then again most people don't have a reset in an average day. So maybe we are just "average" .

I also know a guy on his 4th T600 and he's so fed up he's not even going to try the T650. He's getting a PPC.
    This apparent anomaly among Treo users is very perplexing to me. I'm not a SW Developer, nor a Palm expert or that experienced with 3rd party apps for Palm devices. I am also, apparently, somewhat lucky in that I've had almost none of the problems many others on this forum and others have experienced with their T650. Mine is very stable (and hoping it continues) and I've loaded quite a few apps (albeit apps that apparently have proven to work well with the new OS).

But mine and other's experiences similar to mine are so different than the many others with problems. I don't know if anyone or any group of ones will ever determine the reasons for this. I must assume the problems involve both 3rd party app developemnt, Palm's rendition of the OS, and possibly the hardware manufacturing process. I cannot imagine any other plausible explanation for this.
    Well when I was here posting about all the issues in my old T600 there were plenty of happy T600 owners. So I think it is a combination of some software that does not work well with the T650 and there probably are some bad devices out there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Its a shame. I used to look forward to adding this program and that program but with all the resets and such, I am content to just have it working. ...
    I understand your "fear", but really, it is unecessary. Get yourself a good backup program and load away. Let me give you an example.

I was messing with my Treo650 (like I usually do) and for some reason Blazer stopped recognizing PHP files as a webpage (like from m.yp.com). Instead of rendering the page it would ask me if I wanted to download it to the card. Very weird. Screw it. I hard reset the sucker and restored my last checkpoint backup, which happened to be 2 days ago. It took me less than 2 minutes to remove the battery cover, hard reset, restore, do another reset and be back in business.

And I showed no fear while doing it....
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Crashes occur for many reasons and it isn't always directly attributable to software applications. I have just an absolute ton of software on my 650 and not all of is is well known or mature. I have had several 300's and several 600's and have had very few software problems with any of them (replaced under warranty or insurance for physical hardware issues -dropped etc). I have had resets occasionaly but I can say it is far less often than my much more expensive laptop. There can't be that much difference between phones where one works like a charm and another is crap. I always look deeper.
    I have had occations when my phone has had resets and I can always fix the problem. Databases get corrupted and since all the ram applications store their data in a database, all the standard applications can suffer. I used to paste all sorts of information into Outlook memo fields. Caused all sorts of problems. Someone suggested a Databook5 utility that scans the standard PIM app databases for corruption and can clean it up. I run it occasionally and it regulary finds currupted files. Sometimes stuff left over from an uninstalled application will cause problems. Sometimes the order that applications are installed makes a difference especially utilities that grab a PALM OS function. Install two that have overlapping features and . . .
    I have been a troubleshooter for many many years and I know that it is often not what you expect to find that is the real cause. The backup software suggestion is an excellent one. I use one to make a full backup immediately befor I install something. If anything goes wrong I can always take a step back.
    Adam West
    Quote Originally Posted by adamwest
    The backup software suggestion is an excellent one. I use one to make a full backup immediately befor I install something. If anything goes wrong I can always take a step back.
    By full backup does that include what's on the SD card?
    What software do you use?

Thanks
    A nice way to load new programs and test for stability is to use the Palm simulator as a staging area. This will work for most programs and you will see how well this new applicaiton will perform on the 650. You can get the 650 emulator by going to http://pluggedin.palmone.com and signing up. You can then download the 650 emulator.

Hope this helps!

Jeff