Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 LastLast
    I installed the accellerator. I will be honest in that I do not see a big difference. It however supposedly reduces system calls which should help with overall stability. I just installed it tonight, so not a real valid opinion.
    I tried to install the 3 Picsel files and during my HotSync, I get this:

HotSync operation started 06/28/05 22:45:07
    - Install failed: C:\Palm\Marc\Install\Picsel_Browser_eng.prc
    Install synchronization failed
    Protocol Error: Read-only. (4009)

I also tried just copying the files on to my SD card and launching from there, but then I get "Unable to load database".

What am I missing here?
    http://marc.abramowitz.info/treo-650/
    Treo 650 GSM unlocked, firmware 01.71, software 1.20-ENA
    Cingular with MEdia Net Unlimited ($24.95)
    Does this really need at least 15mb of free RAM to run? I find that hard to achieve given the Treo's already small RAM!
    Where did you get that 15mb free to run from?
    I found a new service that you can use to view PDFs on the Palm. You need a graphics viewer (I know Acid Image Pro works). The way it works is you forward the attachment to an email address. From there, it is converted to TIF format and it is resent to you where you can view it with a graphics viewer. It can be run hosted from the provider or you can purchase the script and run it on your ow, provided you are running Exchange.

You can see a demo at www.ccs5000.com/demos. If you have any questions after viewing the demo, you can send an email to info@ccs5000.com. It shown running on GoodLink, but that is not a requirement (though HIGHLY recommended )
  6. cto
    Does anyone have the Picsel viewer software available? Please email me ort@pobox.com
    cto, read the past coupla pages of this thread
    OK, just so you know, Good already supports the conversion of pdf to a plain text view. I know this. The point is that many pdfs have graphics and tables and a text view of those pdfs is not always good enough or is not even possible. Some pdfs even have text stored in such a format that the text is not even extractable. So, for me with Good, I always try to do a text view first, but if I want to see how the Original really looks or if the txt view has no results, I use my pdf2tif conversion service.

I chose Tif because there is no such thing as a multipage jpeg, however a multipage tif format does exist. Otherwise, if I converted a multipage pdf to jpg, a single 14 page pdf would become 14 different jpgs. That being said, I then chose to work with acid image pro because it is the only app for palm that can view a multipage tif that I know of and supports pan and zoom.

So for me, until somebody writes a legal pdf viewer for the palm that is written in english and doesn't crash my device, this is the best solution I've found.

I have currently written this for exchange as an event sink. I really want to sell this service to businesses and install it on their exchange server.

However, I could just host the conversion service as I am now for a few people. For me hosting, I was thinking a minimum of 10 users at $15 per user per year (minimum purchase $150). That is the price with me hosting this solution.

Or if a business has an exchange server, I could help them install the exchange event sink on their server for $500. For an additional $500, I would give up the source code. This is a server side solution and is very stable.

If anyone is interested, send me an email to jcook@ccs5000.com.

I was thinking for the individual who was interested, I will do conversions for $25 a year and register 1 allowed email address (if you can get 10 people together to sign up at once, I will make the price $15 per user). I was thinking I could do this via paypal. We'll see.

I will put restrictions on the service tonight so this will no longer work without people first signing up and paying.

Thank you,
    Jeremiah Cook
    Cook Consulting Services.
    Where can I get UDMH?
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug172
    Where can I get UDMH?
    Google could help you out with problems like these from time to time, ya know??
    Quote Originally Posted by msabramo
    I tried to install the 3 Picsel files and during my HotSync, I get this:

HotSync operation started 06/28/05 22:45:07
    - Install failed: C:\Palm\Marc\Install\Picsel_Browser_eng.prc
    Install synchronization failed
    Protocol Error: Read-only. (4009)

I also tried just copying the files on to my SD card and launching from there, but then I get "Unable to load database".

What am I missing here?
    I'm seeing the same problem as msabramo....what's wrong?
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Could someone send a copy to JeremyFlatt@elitemail.org
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I'm seeing the same problem as msabramo....what's wrong?
    Err...nevermind...read the first page and saw that everybody was copying from card to RAM. I thought I tried that, but I must not have copied all of the files. I haven't tested out any documents with this (will have to wait 'til tomorrow as I need to hit the sack), but the navigational system looks superb. This RAM requirements are kinda ridiculous, though.

Could somebody spare me the time of reading through this thread's 400 posts and tell me what you guys are doing to fight the RAM issue?? Are there any solutions at all??
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliteoomph
    Could someone send a copy to JeremyFlatt@elitemail.org
    Thanks in advance
    They don't need to because it's already here. Look around for a lil' bit.
    Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I can't locate my initial response...
    I use Adobe Reader on my Treo 650 and have no difficulty viewing pdf files. Both text and images. Please someone clue me in. I don't understand the problem getting/viewing pdf's. My email prog is Snapper and the combo works seamlessly.
    So if someone sends you a pdf attachment with snapper mail, you can read it no problem directly? Is that what you are telling me? I didn't think this was possible. Graphics and all. Email me at jcook@ccs5000.com and I want to send you some test pdfs and we can discuss offline.

This is news to me. I thought the pdf had to first be converted with some sort of agent before you could view it.

Let me clarify that we want to view pdf's totally wirelessly, no hotsync, everything over the air wherever we are, in our car, on the bus, etc.

Is that what you are telling me. I don't think that is possible with the adobe product unless something was just released yesterday.

Jcook@ccs5000.com
    When I am on my Treo 650, my Adobe Reader version is
    v 3.05 build 20030828, what is yours?
    Sorry folks... I'm wrong. Had to hotsync before I could view the pdf's... Regret any confusion...
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    You can zoom in and out by double-tapping in the middle of the screen, holding the 2nd tap - move up for in and down for out.
    Thanks...I missed that in the manual.

I also read that to move to the next page you tap the middle of the screen and move to the left (as if you were reading a real book, you'd move the right page to the left)....and vice versa for the previous page. I couldn't get that to work until I re-read the manual...you must do that at the BOTTOM of the screen.

This app is friggin' amazing!! My only complaint is that this is the only time I have to use the stylus other than solitaire. But it's not really a complaint...I'm not THAT ungrateful. But we're all spoiled, that's for sure!!

THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS POSSIBLE AND CONTRIBUTED TO THIS THREAD...YOU ALL FRIGGIN' ROCK, DUDES!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by roppper
    Sorry folks... I'm wrong. Had to hotsync before I could view the pdf's... Regret any confusion...
    Was a hotsync required only once, for installation purposes, or every time you received another PDF email attachment?