1.    #1  
    hotsync problem I've tryed everything
    error message unable to initiate hotsync operation because the port is in use by another application
    please help
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I went crazy for days with this problem as I see many have. I finally got it working and working well. I can Hot Synch from 30 feet away! Herre is what I did:
    First on the PC, I went to the device manager and found what COM port my Bluetooth Adapter was using.(I have a Microsoft adapter). It was COM 4.

Then I went to properties on the receiver and updated the drivers. There was an update.

Then I closed out of all that and went to my Control Panel, Bluetooth Devices and Added a device. The wizard then stepped me through that. I decided to establish my own passkey so later on the Treo I could add it as a Trusted Device. When done with the Wizard you can click on the COM ports tab which should confirm to you what Port you are using and make sure it is Incoming.

Now, on the desktop system tray, click on the Hot Synch icon and go to setup. Make sure the local tab has the correct COM port and has "as fast as possible" checked. Click again on the icon and make sure Local is checked. You can also check local usb but don't have it plugged in during a BLuetooth hotsynch.

Now on your Treo, go to Home, Bluetooth, Setup devices. The wizard is pretty good and should take you through all the steps required. Remember the passkey code you used on your pc.
    That should do it. I'll cross my fingers for you.
  3.    #3  
    what if I'm using a usb cable and not bluetooth?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I went crazy for days with this problem as I see many have. I finally got it working and working well. I can Hot Synch from 30 feet away! Herre is what I did:
    First on the PC, I went to the device manager and found what COM port my Bluetooth Adapter was using.(I have a Microsoft adapter). It was COM 4.

Then I went to properties on the receiver and updated the drivers. There was an update.

Then I closed out of all that and went to my Control Panel, Bluetooth Devices and Added a device. The wizard then stepped me through that. I decided to establish my own passkey so later on the Treo I could add it as a Trusted Device. When done with the Wizard you can click on the COM ports tab which should confirm to you what Port you are using and make sure it is Incoming.

Now, on the desktop system tray, click on the Hot Synch icon and go to setup. Make sure the local tab has the correct COM port and has "as fast as possible" checked. Click again on the icon and make sure Local is checked. You can also check local usb but don't have it plugged in during a BLuetooth hotsynch.

Now on your Treo, go to Home, Bluetooth, Setup devices. The wizard is pretty good and should take you through all the steps required. Remember the passkey code you used on your pc.
    That should do it. I'll cross my fingers for you.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    USB should work fine. You have to make sure you have Local USB checked on the Hot sync icon and also when you hot synch, the Treo should show Cradle/Cable under the icon.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I may have misunderstood your question. If you are using the USB cable, the Bluetooth connection will not work. Just wanted to confirm.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrnd
    USB should work fine. You have to make sure you have Local USB checked on the Hot sync icon and also when you hot synch, the Treo should show Cradle/Cable under the icon.
    I'm having the same problem and I've set both to the USB cable. Any other ideas?
    Anybody?
    Uninstall and re-install Palm Desktop
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Would that make me lose all settings in my Palm Desktop? Such as notes, calendar events, etc.?
    Quote Originally Posted by oggle
    Would that make me lose all settings in my Palm Desktop? Such as notes, calendar events, etc.?
    have you tried wetting the contacts on the cable ?
    Ciao

Ettore
    That is not the problem. I am positive. It keeps saying the port is in use by another application. I think it started happening after I installed my webcam.

So if I uninstalled Palm Desktop and re-installed it, will it keep my existing data still?
    I encountered this problem with a USB connection to my Treo 650 and a soft reset did the trick.