Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Do I need to worry about overcharging my Treo? I tend to leave it plugged in overnight - will this harm my battery or shorten its charge in any way?

Thanks
    Nope, there is a circuit that protects against overcharging.

CHARGE IT!!!
    )
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Also, the manual states that the batteries will last longer if you keep the phone on continual charge, rather putting the phone through charge<->drain cycles.
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Thanks so much
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingstylez
    Also, the manual states that the batteries will last longer if you keep the phone on continual charge, rather putting the phone through charge<->drain cycles.

I always wonder that .... are they trying to drain the batt and force use to get a batt or a new phone? I know for sure if you keep charging the reg cell phone batts, they die relly fast, within a year or so.
    It all depends on the type of battery. Older Nickel Cadmium cells (NiCads) lasted longer if you discharged them to near exhaustion and then recharged them fully in between uses. NiMH batteries are just the opposite. They have a limited number of discharge / recharge cycles they'll last through, and the fewer cycles they go through (by keeping them charged) the longer they'll last.

It also depends on the phone and charger - I wouldn't be surprised if many of the cheap phones and aftermarket chargers DO overcharge the battery if you keep them plugged in continuously.

Neither Palm nor Sprint is going to make a lot of money selling replacement batteries. Why do you think they'd bother lying about it? And don't you think they'd have been called on it by now, if they were lying?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    It all depends on the type of battery. Older Nickel Cadmium cells (NiCads) lasted longer if you discharged them to near exhaustion and then recharged them fully in between uses. NiMH batteries are just the opposite. They have a limited number of discharge / recharge cycles they'll last through, and the fewer cycles they go through (by keeping them charged) the longer they'll last.

It also depends on the phone and charger - I wouldn't be surprised if many of the cheap phones and aftermarket chargers DO overcharge the battery if you keep them plugged in continuously.

Neither Palm nor Sprint is going to make a lot of money selling replacement batteries. Why do you think they'd bother lying about it? And don't you think they'd have been called on it by now, if they were lying?
    Thing is the Treo uses neither NiCads or NiMh, it uses an Lithium Ion battery which lasts longer when kept charged, they have no memory effect.
    My bad. I wrote NiMH, but I was thinking Lithium. I guess I need my doctor to renew MY lithium prescription.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.