1.    #1  
    Now that it is Spring and pretty sunny out I've taken for granted how I can use my T650 with no viewing problems at all. With prior Treo models sunlight on the screen didn't work so well .
    Last edited by darnell; 04/19/2005 at 10:54 PM.
    Yeah - I hated the 600 in the Sun - what a differance w/ the 650. I love waling down the block, typing in a "to do" or maybe IMing w/ Verichat. how sweet it is
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I have a VERY difficult time viewing my screen in the bright Florida sun!!
    Quote Originally Posted by radiostationguy
    I have a VERY difficult time viewing my screen in the bright Florida sun!!
    600 or 650?
    It's a 650. The display gets really washed out the second I step outside. It makes it very difficult to do anything having to shield the screen with my hand or something so I can see what I'm doing.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Think maybe you have to ask yourselves whether another device is better for this kind of use.
    Personally I don't know of a device with a better screen for sunny surroundings than my Treo650 - in fact much better than my Tungsten T3.

Some GPS devices are made to perform well in direct sunlight. These devices actually becomes better in terms of readability in sunny surroundings - but the performance and color depth is poor using backlight.
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Does anyone find that using a screen protector in combination with a case that has a clear cover over the screen makes viewing the screen outside more difficult?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by radiostationguy
    Does anyone find that using a screen protector in combination with a case that has a clear cover over the screen makes viewing the screen outside more difficult?
    I have a clear case and it's difficult. Have to take it out of the case and it's fine.
    which cases do you guys have. Sorry to go off topic but I'm been waiting for that darn PacRim 650 case.
    I am using the standard Palm leather case with the clear plastic front. Perhaps the plastic creates additional glare on the screen, but it seems counterproductive to have to remove the phone from the case to be able to use it outside, where oddly enough, you are more likely to drop it, hence the original purpose of the case, protection. Are there screen protectors that offer some glare reduction properties??
    I use the anti-glare Boxwave screen protector under the PalmOne Form Fit with plastic. It helps. :-)
  12.    #12  
    So I think we've established that the T650 screen is great in sunlight. Those having problems are actually facing issues with their screen protectors. Personally I've had a T300, T600 and now T650. I've never ever used a single screen protector and never ever had a damaged screen either. I use the Piel Frama case from my old T600 which has no screen protector, so I see the actual screen in direct sunlight. I guess this is one more plus for flip cases .
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Yeah 650 is good in the sun, i thought the 600 was usable in the sun as well. Have your tried the treo 300 in the sun? Now that was a pain, I would have to create shade and squint to use it. The creater of the teo 600 did specifically address viewability in the sun since it was so bad with the treo 300. And now our treos double as flashlights :-)
    I'm very happy with the 650 in direct sunlight. I do find that sometimes removing my sunglasses makes the display more readable.
  15.    #15  
    Yea ink883, I remember the T300 days. And the T600 was an improvement, but the T650 blows them all away!

The T600 could be used in sunlight if you kind of held it the right way and had good contrast settings. But with the T650 I find that I don't have to worry about the angle or settings at all.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Agreed.

Now i need an app what will just display the whole screen in the color of my choice (flashlight app), and maybe cycle and strobe colors for cool effects
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    which cases do you guys have. Sorry to go off topic but I'm been waiting for that darn PacRim 650 case.
    I have the Innopocket Aluminum for the 650. Isn't the PacRim the same but with the keyboard accessible? I'm used to just flipping open the case when I need to use it, regardless of location.
    Well, I use the screen protector because I have heard soooooo many stories of scratched screens and the like. I must confess, this is my first Palm device, and I find it better than sliced bread. I do however, under my current configuration, find viewing very difficult in bright light, even when the brightness is turned all the way up. I don't know how delicate the screens really are. If the protector isn't really needed, I would be glad to use it without.
  19.    #19  
    To me the screen protectors are one big racket. But that's my opinion because in 8 years of owning various Palm/HandSpring devices I never ever experienced a scratched screen and have never used a single screen protector.
    I also use a screen protector - not as much for scratches for keeping the screen clean. With the prtector it's easier to clean the screen. When it get's bad -through it out.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.