Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I used to have a Treo 600 and loved it, then my company switched over to Blackberryís and Iíve been on a 7290 for 6 months. Itís a horrible phone and I miss all the applications and functionality of the Treo. Now Iím drooling over the 650. However, Iím in love with the Blackberry wireless syncing and donít want to give that up. We have BES versions 4.0 so everything (email, calendar, tasks, memos) is constantly updated between the 7290 and my Outlook.

We have Exchange 2003 server and I believe it came with activesync that will work with the 650. Can anyone tell me what will be wirelessly synced with the 650 and activesync? Does it work the same as Blackberry and if not what would I be giving up?
    Great question. I look forward to an answer.
    VersaMail ActiveSync does the calendar and email inbox (of course you can send outbound email as well). When it works it does it very well - nice compression (doesn't take forever to sync), nice handling of attachments, etc.

However, I (and quite a few others) have had troubles with ActiveSync errors - I actually stopped using it after a while and went back to HotSync.

I'd recommend you getting the phone, trying it out aggressively during the 2 week free-return period, and if you're happy, go for it.

As an aside, I use the WebPro browser to get to my Outlook Web Access - definitely painful compared to a true local email client, but it works okay for light (non-attachment) usage!
    If you are expecting the Treo650 to give you a Blackberry-like experience in keeping synced with your Exchange server, you are in for a big dissapointment.

One of the biggest draws of the BlackBerry is its always on, instant email and its SUPERIOR Exchange sync functionality provided by the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). Pound for pound, the Treo650 runs CIRCLES around the Blackberry, but with BES behind it the BlackBerry it too strong (for now).

I have achieved BlackBerry-like performance using the Chatter email client (www.chatteremail.com) and an IMAP compatible server. I have all my work email redirected to my personal server and it gets pushed to my Chatter client almost instantly.

On the calendar front I am not sure, but there are several options out there. The problem is very few IT departments are willing (or able) to explore these options.

Good luck!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    The Blackberry does 1 thing very well, it syncs with Exchange wirelessly. No other device can touch it when it comes to that functionality. I personally only know 1 person whose company uses Goodlink and not Blackberry. The company that I work for currently has over 1200 BBs and are planning to expand.
    Although some report ActiveSync to be working with the 650, many on this board, including me, have had nothing but problems with it.

I use the Imap client and sync my calendar via hotsync.
    At my last employer where it was necessary to have email pushed to my device, I was saddly dissappointed with Versamails so called sync. However, my fix to that was (if you're using Sprint) is using their PCS Business Connection software. It does require that you have a PC with Outlook running the account always on, but it worked flawlessly. It uses gotomypc I believe for VPN access to the PC and basically syncs up all of your email, contacts, calendar and even a folder of your choice on the PC. It allowed me to have all of my exchange emails pushed directly to the phone almost instantly. It never crashed and I never had a problem with it. Warning: it won't work if it's installed on a SD card though.

Good Luck.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    If you are in Canada on the Rogers network (Which you probably aren't) get MyMail. It's free, provides true Push Email (not pseudo-push like many people have) and provides effortless synching of Schedules, Calenders, Contacts, Etc.

It Is Great. I Love It!

Blackberrys now have absolutely nothing going for them over a Treo.

Here is a small quote from the Rogers MyMail site:

Access your existing office (Microsoft Exchange or Lotus Notes) and personal (POP3) e-mail accounts in real time from your Rogers Wireless device.

Read, reply to, forward, delete and compose messages on your wireless device quickly and easily.

Receive and view attachments (on select wireless devices)

If receiving corporate e-mail, you can wirelessly access your calendar, contacts, and conveniently schedule/reschedule appointments.

All tasks performed using MyMail automatically synchronize with your desktop, in real time. It is absolutely effortless, no cables or infrared sync-up when you return to the office.

Access e-mail while traveling in Canada and roaming with our GPRS partner networks worldwide

Be accessible to new business, customers, suppliers and colleagues while on the go
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater

I have achieved BlackBerry-like performance using the Chatter email client (www.chatteremail.com) and an IMAP compatible server. I have all my work email redirected to my personal server and it gets pushed to my Chatter client almost instantly.
    If you have your work email redirected to a personal server and then to Chatter how do deletions and filing of messages you do on the Treo get synced back to your work server, or donít they?

Would I be able to use Chatter with my work exchange server without having to go the redirection route?
    GoodLink provides identical functionality of the Blackberry on the Treo. ActiveSync has many serious drawbacks. One, it is not push, but rather scheduled-pull. Sent and deleted folders do not sync wirelessly. From an IT standpoint, the security model of EAS is horrid at best. If you use notes and tasks, they do not sync with EAS. The ability to provision the phone and update the application over the air means absolutely no cradling required with GoodLink.

ActiveSync is nowhere near an enterprise solution.
    GOODLINK on a 650 beats the hell out of a BB.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Will Goodlink work for folks without an enterprise software (example, folks who just want to have the BB push email functionality without using Fastmail/Chatter setup).
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    IF your IT department will support it...which mine won't...they are BB zealots!
    C'mon Palmsource, get your a#$ in gear.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    ActiveSync has many serious drawbacks. One, it is not push, but rather scheduled-pull. Sent and deleted folders do not sync wirelessly. .

Do mail folders stored under the inbox in Outlook sync with ActiveSync? Meaning if I receive a message and file it on the Treo is it wirelessly files on the exchange server?

How often does ďscheduled-pullĒ work with ActiveSync? From the time a message arrives in my Exchange Outlook inbox how long before it hitís the Treo?

I am taking a look at Goodlink.
    I'm with GoodGuy on this ... GoodLink is great for any organization in an Exchange environment. I'm an IT guy, and if your IT folks knew about GoodLink, they would not be Blackberry fans.

When someone first mentioned GoodLink to me, I was just as cynical as every other IT guy ... but if anything ... it's a wake-up call to Blackberry.

My only two criticisms (for GoodGuy since he appears to work for Good): 1. Memory (which is more Palm's fault then Good's) and 2. Instant Messaging. Give me secure instant messaging to go along with my secure email and I'd say you would be unstoppable.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilkins
    Do mail folders stored under the inbox in Outlook sync with ActiveSync? Meaning if I receive a message and file it on the Treo is it wirelessly files on the exchange server?

How often does ďscheduled-pullĒ work with ActiveSync? From the time a message arrives in my Exchange Outlook inbox how long before it hitís the Treo?

I am taking a look at Goodlink.
    It is my understanding that sub-folders do sync wirelessly with EAS, but not delete and sent folders.

The scheduled pull is a user defined setting. So if you poll every 5 minutes, that is how often it will pull your mail. Short answer, using the above example, it will be 5 minutes before you get your email from Exchange. This is the biggest, IMHO, drawback to pull vs push.
    Quote Originally Posted by mishap
    I'm with GoodGuy on this ... GoodLink is great for any organization in an Exchange environment. I'm an IT guy, and if your IT folks knew about GoodLink, they would not be Blackberry fans.

When someone first mentioned GoodLink to me, I was just as cynical as every other IT guy ... but if anything ... it's a wake-up call to Blackberry.

My only two criticisms (for GoodGuy since he appears to work for Good): 1. Memory (which is more Palm's fault then Good's) and 2. Instant Messaging. Give me secure instant messaging to go along with my secure email and I'd say you would be unstoppable.
    Thanks for the kind words, Mishap. Regarding your criticisms, the memory issue is a major hurdle. The fact Palm released the 650 with only 32MB is beyond me and we are working on memory footprint of GoodLink.

Regarding IM, have not heard a thing as it relates to that. It may very well be on the drawing board, but I don't see it happening any time soon as I think our development team is more focused on refining GoodLink before releasing a new product, but then again, what do I know ?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    If you don't want to go the GoodLink route because your IT department will not manage it, you can use the SEVEN Networks software. For Cingular, this is XpressMail. For Sprint, it is Business Connect (I think).

There are multiple versions available. The one I use is the Personal Edition which bypasses the IT department altogether. It installs a monitor on your desktop machine and it handles syncing with your wireless device OTA.

I am a beta tester for SEVEN and have tested their Smartphone version as well as their Treo 650 version.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Oh... and by the way... it is free (other than your normal provider data usage)
    Another option is to go with the Blackberry connect client for Palm OS. The BB client software appears to be finished, and you should probably ask your BB salesperson about it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast