Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Another option is to go with the Blackberry connect client for Palm OS. The BB client software appears to be finished, and you should probably ask your BB salesperson about it.
    Hasn't been released in the US yet and there hasn't been a firm date announced. However, it is popping up overseas. The interesting thing is the documentation on the PalmSource website shows it will only do email and limited calendering. Interesting to see what the final release will look like.
  2. #22  
    FYI, TigerShark ... if you were on my LAN running that, I would shut you down. So, I hope for your sake, you don't work for the same folks I work for ... :P

    I consider Personal Business Connect a security risk. If I can't manage it, and you're doing something I haven't authorized (especially something akin to remote access) then you're a security risk and I would do everything in my power to at the very least, shut you down ... and get you fired if I didn't like you ... :P

    Don't get me wrong ... I understand the need ... but I have to weigh risk ... control mitigates risk (if the person knows what they're doing).
  3. #23  
    GoodGuy: I would've figured if Blackberry feels the need to do IM, that you guys would follow. From a reality standpoint, if my enterprise IM vendor would offer a Palm client, this would be a non-issue ... or maybe you folks could partner with such a company?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mishap
    GoodGuy: I would've figured if Blackberry feels the need to do IM, that you guys would follow. From a reality standpoint, if my enterprise IM vendor would offer a Palm client, this would be a non-issue ... or maybe you folks could partner with such a company?
    You make a valid point. With the recent announcements from RIM, it may very well be something we are looking at. IMHO, we have other areas to address, ie, support for Notes and other enhancements to GoodLink, that outweigh the need for IM.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    IMHO, we have other areas to address, ie, support for Notes and other enhancements to GoodLink, that outweigh the need for IM.
    Tell that to my IM users ...

    I personally think that having access to email like this makes it less important ... but they'll argue at me all day if I'd let them.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Another option is to go with the Blackberry connect client for Palm OS. The BB client software appears to be finished, and you should probably ask your BB salesperson about it.
    I thought BB client for Palm was still a ways off. Can you direct me to any information on it?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilkins
    I thought BB client for Palm was still a ways off. Can you direct me to any information on it?
    The only info I have seen is here: http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/mailblackberry.html
  8. BamaATL's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by mishap
    FYI, TigerShark ... if you were on my LAN running that, I would shut you down. So, I hope for your sake, you don't work for the same folks I work for ... :P

    I consider Personal Business Connect a security risk. If I can't manage it, and you're doing something I haven't authorized (especially something akin to remote access) then you're a security risk and I would do everything in my power to at the very least, shut you down ... and get you fired if I didn't like you ... :P

    Don't get me wrong ... I understand the need ... but I have to weigh risk ... control mitigates risk (if the person knows what they're doing).

    mishap, you jump to conclusions too quickly. Reminds me of my IT guys. It must be in the genes. I never said that I was running anything on my company network. It is running on my personal network and is not syncing corporate mail. So you can chill a bit. My company uses Goodlink.

    My only point was that there are options out there that you can use to sync your corporate mail if your IT department will not provide a solution.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilkins
    I thought BB client for Palm was still a ways off. Can you direct me to any information on it?
    Here is a link to BB Connect on Treonauts. You can see some pictures of BB Connect in action. Keep in mind that this article is a couple of months old, so one would assume that we are beyond the beta testing phase.

    Good luck.

    http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/02/bl....html#comments
  10. #30  
    Relax, TigerShark ... I used emoticons ... I just didn't use the rights ones to translate to the board ... :-P

    But yes ... it's probably in the genes ... I only brought that up because corporate LANs would frown on it being there.
  11. #31  
    My company uses BBerry, and won't allow me to do any re-direction of corporate email that would let me use chatter or snapper, but they do let me use the software from Seven.

    GoodGuy, someone asked earlier, is there anyway for an individual to use GoodLink rather than have to get an enterprise solution that would require my IT department to make the time and money investment? My IT department does not support my Treo, and are not very nice about it either.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilkins
    If you have your work email redirected to a personal server and then to Chatter how do deletions and filing of messages you do on the Treo get synced back to your work server, or donít they?
    They don't. When I get back to my work PC I download all my email from my Exchange server onto my hard drive anyway, file what I want and delete the rest.

    Quote Originally Posted by kwilkins
    Would I be able to use Chatter with my work exchange server without having to go the redirection route?
    If your Exchange server supports an IMAP connection from the outside, yes. Most corporate IT servers dont because of strict IT security policies, not technical limitations.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  13. #33  
    I have spent a great deal of time experimenting with my treo and available email options. I wanted blackberry like performance for my business and personal email. When I was waiting for the 650 to be released I was sold on the idea of Activesync. I have an Exchange account at work. I use hotmail for personal email. I would change from hotmail to FastMail if I didn't have to notify a million people and web sites of my new email address. Activesync is a huge dissappointment. Here's what I have setup and it works really really well.

    I'm using Chatter and I have a FuseMail account that I use with Hotmail. I setup IMAP access on my Exchange server and use Chatter for it also. I use Hotsync over Vision to sync only Contacts, Memos, and Tasks throughout the day. I still use VersaMail to sync my calendar but only because it rarely changes. I should try adding it to my Hotsync over Vision. Make sure you turn off backup on the Hotsync manager. It took awhile to set up but it is very quick and I get both personal hotmail and business email almost instantly.

    Good Luck!

    I forgot to add I hotsync with my computer at home and I do need to keep it running during the day with outlook 2003 open and connected to Exchange using RPC over HTTP.

    I realize this won't work for everyone but it works very well for me. Whatever solution you use I would bet it will involve using Chatter.
    Last edited by scsanden; 04/20/2005 at 10:38 PM.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by rziems
    My company uses BBerry, and won't allow me to do any re-direction of corporate email that would let me use chatter or snapper, but they do let me use the software from Seven.

    GoodGuy, someone asked earlier, is there anyway for an individual to use GoodLink rather than have to get an enterprise solution that would require my IT department to make the time and money investment? My IT department does not support my Treo, and are not very nice about it either.
    rziems...

    Not yet.

    Hang in there.
  15. #35  
    Hey kwilkins, you should check out our product when you get a chance. It allows full syncronization of Email, calendar, contacts, notes and tasks without the need of a middleware agent/server. Just hotsync the prc, enter your OWA url and account info and your ready to go.

    It's called NexChange Corporate and it comes in three flavors:
    Corp Lite - Cal, Contacts, Notes and Tasks
    Corp Pro - Adds email to Corp Lite
    NexMail - Just the email client
    You can download and check out the beta here: http://www.nextworks.com/download.htm
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    If you are expecting the Treo650 to give you a Blackberry-like experience in keeping synced with your Exchange server, you are in for a big dissapointment.

    One of the biggest draws of the BlackBerry is its always on, instant email and its SUPERIOR Exchange sync functionality provided by the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). Pound for pound, the Treo650 runs CIRCLES around the Blackberry, but with BES behind it the BlackBerry it too strong (for now).

    I have achieved BlackBerry-like performance using the Chatter email client (www.chatteremail.com) and an IMAP compatible server. I have all my work email redirected to my personal server and it gets pushed to my Chatter client almost instantly.

    On the calendar front I am not sure, but there are several options out there. The problem is very few IT departments are willing (or able) to explore these options.

    Good luck!

    does chatter work with AOL also>? I have an AOL account.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtdionne
    Hey kwilkins, you should check out our product when you get a chance. It allows full syncronization of Email, calendar, contacts, notes and tasks without the need of a middleware agent/server. Just hotsync the prc, enter your OWA url and account info and your ready to go.

    It's called NexChange Corporate and it comes in three flavors:
    Corp Lite - Cal, Contacts, Notes and Tasks
    Corp Pro - Adds email to Corp Lite
    NexMail - Just the email client
    You can download and check out the beta here: http://www.nextworks.com/download.htm
    Since NexChange uses native the palm databases, we could use the same standard palm apps we're using now correct? Are the results of running NexChange EXACTLY the same as running a Hotsync as far as Calendar, Contacts, Notes, & Tasks?
  18. #38  
    scsanden, yes you can use the sam standard palm apps. The results of nexchange are VERY similar to that of hotsycn with the inclusion of email in the pro version.
  19. #39  
    So, it's 7 months since the last post. BB connect is coming in "early" 2006. GoodLink is available now, but as good as BB Connect?

    What's currently the best solution for an unsupported Treo in a BB corp world?
    For fun & profit & Christ,
    TWF in Chicago
  20. #40  
    Will someone please explain to me once and for all what a Blackberry-Palm alliance is going to do for me? New email shows up in my email box every 5 minutes with my current program. That's fast enough for me. I haven't looked into it, but I could probably set it up for even more frequent delivery. What will be different with BB? I'll get my emails up to 4 minutes faster? BFD.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions