Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Engaget has two articles about the much ballyhooed Treo Killers the BenQ and the Motorola MPX on the following link:

http://www.engadget.com/page/2/

Looks like we will have to yet again wait for the next generation of Microsoft Smartphones to oust the Treo.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  2.    #2  
    Opps, the BenQ article got moved to the next page:

http://www.engadget.com/page/3/
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    The article on Motorola states that the MPX has been killed - Treokiller, Hah!
    Yeah... History keeps repeating itself. Most so-called Treo "killers" get announced but never get released. Says A LOT about the very tough set of compromizes that have to be made while still producing a usable product. We all know the Treo is far from perfect, but apparently this is a lot better than what others can do.
    While I agree that the BenQ P50 has been delayed so long that it hurts, I do think it is still an interesting device. If they finally manage to get it released around July 2005, it will still have specs that are as good, if not better, than most of the cutting edge devices being released. My understanding is that the screen is not quite as nice as the T650, but the 1.3MP camera, WiFi, memory, and processor are all still pretty cutting edge. The one big negative I heard was the keyboard not being backlit. This bothered me enough that I contacted the BenQ sales office in the US. They took a day to get back to me, but I did hear back from them 20 minutes ago, and the rep assured me that the keyboard is in fact backlit. Expected arrival date is still July 2005. Expected price is still around $800. No carrier contracts at this point.

Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by kirson
    While I agree that the BenQ P50 has been delayed so long that it hurts, I do think it is still an interesting device. If they finally manage to get it released around July 2005, it will still have specs that are as good, if not better, than most of the cutting edge devices being released. My understanding is that the screen is not quite as nice as the T650, but the 1.3MP camera, WiFi, memory, and processor are all still pretty cutting edge. The one big negative I heard was the keyboard not being backlit. This bothered me enough that I contacted the BenQ sales office in the US. They took a day to get back to me, but I did hear back from them 20 minutes ago, and the rep assured me that the keyboard is in fact backlit. Expected arrival date is still July 2005. Expected price is still around $800. No carrier contracts at this point.

Ian
    With all the "complaints" about the Treo's build quality, don't people wonder WHY these "Treo Killers" are either killed or delayed over and over?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    1.3MP camera
    1.3 MP is cutting edge?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kirson
    ..but I did hear back from them 20 minutes ago, and the rep assured me that the keyboard is in fact backlit. ...
    any good sales rep worth their salt will "ensure" you that your pet capability will be included in the next release.....
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I think that it is a great story that the T650 ships now and we are recieveing incremental improvements. P1 should add 802.11g and true 3G in all next versions. The constant improvement model may be frustrating for some but does net beter products over a longer period of time. P1 is trying not to boil the ocean.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft
    Engaget has two articles about the much ballyhooed Treo Killers the BenQ and the Motorola MPX on the following link:

http://www.engadget.com/page/2/

Looks like we will have to yet again wait for the next generation of Microsoft Smartphones to oust the Treo.
    Phones that never existed aren't DOA, their vaporware.
    more vaporware - Samsung i550 / 505
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I was really looking forward to getting my mitts on the MPx, but the price ($1200) kept me from really trying. I figured that when it's finally released in the U.S., the price will be more in line with the Razor and I'll jump all over it. Oh, well.....
    Dude,

Glad to see a conservative Treo user every once and a while!!!
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson

IF and when it really comes out it might be interesting, although I note that the forum already posts some reservations about various aspects of it.

AND, if you dislike the 650 antenna, you will really hate that one
    Looks to be about 2 feet long with the sliding keyboard.

No camera

Still bluetooth 1.1

No GSM model

And biggest negative - Doesn't exist yet, so we don't even know if it "works"
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Looks to be about 2 feet long with the sliding keyboard.

No camera

Still bluetooth 1.1

No GSM model

And biggest negative - Doesn't exist yet, so we don't even know if it "works"
    http://www.3dnews.ru/documents/news5...ungi730_03.jpg

Is it just me, or doesn't this look like a camera with flash? And FYI, it's the same size as a 650.

Additionally, an 850 model is on the way, and the BT will most likely be upgraded.
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    I'll be following that one. While I won't hold my breath, but I'll be following this one. Thanks for the link Ocean18.
    More cool picts of the i730 with comparison of HTC.

http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3497.html
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Phones that never existed aren't DOA, their vaporware.
    I've had to say it before around here and I'll say it again: the MPx DOES EXIST!!!! Just not in North America. I have a production unit, as do many, many others. Just take a look on HoFo. And as a former Treo 300 and 600 early adopter (and a fairly satisified one at that), I have no problem shouting from the highest mountain top that I adore my MPx. Yes, the lack of RAM stinks. But with about 20 minutes of registry tweaks, it becomes pretty much a non-issue. I've had my MPx for about two months now and I've had one crash. I can honestly say that I averaged many more than that per each two month period in the 2 and 1/2 years I owned my Treos. Of course, much of that was because I was constantly loading and unloading apps, using many, many hacks, etc.

And before everyone starts in again, I'm not Treo bashing at all, here. As I said, I was a happy Treo owner. With the development of the 300 and 600, Handspring really brought the whole idea of a converged device to the masses and made the concept popular. However, when it came time to make a decision on my 600, I just wanted something different in terms of form factor. I was severely dissapointed when the 650 details were leaked and the form factor was essentially unchanged. At that point, I decided that if I was going to spend 500+ on a new phone, it had better be something new which reallly got my pulse racing. With that goal in mind, I've yet to see a phone with better form factor (and wow! factor) than the MPx.

The MPx may not be for everyone, but it certainly is NOT vaporware.

Now, if Moto can just work out the kinks and get it right for the RazBerry . . . that would really be something.

David
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast