Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Any links to where I can get a decent USB Bluetooth adaptor at a good price? I would say no more than 15 bucks including shipping or/and tax.

Thanks,

Al
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Specific question.... I'm looking to EXTEND the range of my mac powerbook (has standard BT built in). It looks like the "Class I" USB adapters extend the range to 100 meters. I'm currently trying it with a CompUSA Class I adapter, but can't get it to work. Have folks been getting a range WELL beyond the 30 feet of "standard" bluetooth with a Class I adapter and treo 650? Thanks--
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    A couple of things...
    I use the 3com and TDK Systems USB adapters, and both work fine with the Treo 650. TDK is a bit better because it comes with a nice windows application that can sync GSM sim cards and backup data. (Sadly, tha DOESN'T work on the Treo 650)

On the speed and range, I rarely get more than ten feet before the signal gets too low. And whilst the max Bluetooth connection speed is 768k, the Treo seems to connect to my Bluetooth network at about 115k, never faster, sometimes slower. So hotsynching via Bluetooth is considerably slower than via a wired cable, though not as slow as via GPRS.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks. I somehow DID get it working (using a CompUSA Class I adapter). It is awesome. Range is MUCH greater than 30 feet now, and with reverse DUN setup (very easy with missing sync), I can now connect from third floor to first floor easily. And the speed is surprisingly FASTER than the verizon national access speed!
    Agree: I have the CompUSA Class 1 USB Bluetooth dongle (the one with the folding external antenna) and the range is quite exceptional. It is a tad larger than a typical dongle, but not as freaking huge as the Lynksys product.

Here's a link: http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...12330&pfp=cat3

There are tips around the Internet for getting it (and really ANY BT device) with XP SP2.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    I believe I found what I was looking for. As you may know I don't want the fancy stuff. I'm looking for an affortable solution and I found it. Newegg.com has the Zonet ZUB6101C Bluetooth for $8 bucks. Well it is $20 but with a $12 mail in rebate. I read that it works well with the Treo.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833130023

I'll post my experience here once I get it.

Al
    I got yesterday my Zonet Bluethooth USB drive and it works freaking good...... I'm amazed by how smooth it works. I would recommend installing the drivers from the CD eventhough XP has built-in drivers.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Any links to where I can get a decent USB Bluetooth adaptor at a good price? I would say no more than 15 bucks including shipping or/and tax.

Thanks,

Al
    I know it's too late for you, but if anyone else is interested Tigerdirect has one for free after rebate.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=C250-1158
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    Agree: I have the CompUSA Class 1 USB Bluetooth dongle (the one with the folding external antenna) and the range is quite exceptional. It is a tad larger than a typical dongle, but not as freaking huge as the Lynksys product.

Here's a link: http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...12330&pfp=cat3

There are tips around the Internet for getting it (and really ANY BT device) with XP SP2.

-Warr
    You guys are seriously getting decent connections upwards of 30ft with this one??

Also, Im not a huge fan of installing hardware specific software if the WinXP drivers get the job done just as well. Have you guys had the same luck using the Windows drivers over the software packages these come with? Any drawbacks?

Thanks a bunch guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by durex
    You guys are seriously getting decent connections upwards of 30ft with this one??

Also, Im not a huge fan of installing hardware specific software if the WinXP drivers get the job done just as well. Have you guys had the same luck using the Windows drivers over the software packages these come with? Any drawbacks?

Thanks a bunch guys.
    I'll try to get a tape measurer and see exactly how far the distance is.

As for the drivers, if you have Windows XP SP2, then you MUST use the drivers that come with the dongle. You may also have to manually point any "microsoft USB Bluetooth devices" found in the hardware manager to the new Bluetooth drivers too. There are many websites that talk about what you need to do with Bluetooth and Windows XP SP2 - google it to find out.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Ha. thanks.. i dont need exact measurements, just was always under the impression Treos get 15ft max with any BT connections...

As far as the driver stuff, do they allow you to simply just use the driver or do you have to install a complete software package to get it to work

Thanks again for the info.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12