Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Not sure if it is my computer, but everytime I click on the link to enter the contest, no pop-ip window/registration window pops open. I do have Macromedia Flash installed.
    u might have a pop-up blocker installed?
    I' do but I thougt I disabeled it. I'll try on another computer.
    Yep. It's my laptop! It's must be corrupted somewhow! I'm gonna have to re-partition the drive later, etc. In the meantime, I'm entering as many times as a I can on the desktop!
    Just closed, right on schedule
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I was entering the contest until the bitter end!
    I spent a little over an hour today (spread out over the day) doing this. Now comes the waiting
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Wow im glad I read this thread. Makes me feel a bit more normal after spending a good portion of my day sitting in my university's Law Library filling out that contest form. Good luck to everyone who entered.
    I entered 12 times and thought that was a lot. Sounds like I may have entered the fewest times out of everyone.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    I entered 12 times and thought that was a lot. Sounds like I may have entered the fewest times out of everyone.
    I only entered twice, if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.
    The 50 percent discount would be nice.
    I WON!!!!!!
    Just kidding...entered about ten times...
    We'll see what happens. Did they say within 72 hours?
    Holy Cow I got all excited and **** for you.....

hahaha

Seriously I did.
    I entered about 15 times and as soon as I got to work checked this link to see if anyone received anything yet....Since I didn't get an email saying I won and since nobody has listed anything here....I guess I'm still "in the game".
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I mentioned this over on MyTreo.net, so I'll mention it here too.
    If you win the Treo and plan on selling the "free" treo. Remember that on next year's IRS tax filing that you will be claiming the value of the treo as income.
    If the prize is $600, you just got $600 income. Depending on your income, deductions, etc, you could end up paying $200 of taxes for this prize.
    PalmeOne or the prize company will submit this to the IRS and send you a form stating this, and you will have to cliam the "street value of the prize" as the IRS forms reads. I just went though this on my taxes with a trip we wond last year.

I'm pretty positive the coupons will not need to be claimed as they are coupons, not prizes and therefore have no value.
    Having said that, I think I'd rather have a 50% coupon. I already have a Treo, but I could really use other stuff on the store for 1/2 off.

Just mentioning this so you don't get blindsided in April '06.
    All that said and done, wouldn't it still be fun to win!?
    Actually, you're getting taxed no matter what.

When you win a prize worth over 600$. The issuing agent of the prize is supposed to file a claim with the IRS stating it is giving you a prize valued over 600$. The IRS will tax you for it. If you decide to sell the item on ebay or through the paper etc you don't necessarily have to report it as income because it is initially reported as income when you won the prize and due taxes woud be assessed. So even if you deicded to keep the treo you still owe taxes on it.

Assuming that palm one will file the claim for your winnings with the IRS.

I found this out when I won a suzuki motorcycle.. LOL I thought it was just a heres the keys buddy, gas it up and get the hell out of here. hahaha then I found out I owed like 1,290 in taxes and fees assessed from this winning. Thankfully I was perfectly fine with paying 1290 for a 12,000$ motorcycle

If I ever decide to sell it. I won't need to pay taxes on it because I already paid the tax on it to begin with. Unless I sell it for more then the prices of tax I was assesed for initially. However, If the item has a market value for 600$ and you decide during this year to sell it for 300$. You only have to file with the irs the 300$ minus selling costs provided you have reciepts that someone purchased it. So it sometimes is better to sell your prize then to keep it because it depreciates in value alot quicker and so does your tax unless you keep the item. You then pay tax on the initial market price and not current resell value.

Note: Some state tax laws allow the state to tax all sale transactions even if the item has been taxed before. So check applicable laws if you are going to be dealing with alot of local transactions. From what I gathered, Unless they prove you to be making a business out of selling. They don't usually enforce the taxes due. I work at the hawaii state tax department and so far we havn't chased anyone down for selling a motorcycle, car etc from time to time yet we do hound on the guys who sell soda's at a public events or run lunch wagson etc. Simply because they are pushing a business persona even though the guy who sold the bike/car made more money for his one time sale.

It's a screwed up world but we live in it. C'est la vie.
    Last edited by Darkflame; 04/20/2005 at 07:24 AM.
    see this is why I love canada..when you win something its tax free..be it the loto or what not..but of course that's if its won in canada. everytime I hear about someone winning these powerball lotos I snicker a little thinking of how much they have to lose to taxes. and I think it was last year when oprahs guests all got a caR ( people in the audience). while everyone was saying..lucky them etc...i was thinking how much taxes to be paid. a week later a follow up story came out saying that each winner owed approx 5k in taxes.

written on my treo 650
    I bet the treo prizes r all the refurbs they couldn't entirely fix..
    hahahah
    oh yeah..i entered 3 times..one shot with three different emails

I hope one of you guys win...especially if its someone who enetered like once..no offence of course to those who enetered 10E(your age) hehehe.
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    see this is why I love canada..when you win something its tax free..be it the loto or what not..but of course that's if its won in canada. everytime I hear about someone winning these powerball lotos I snicker a little thinking of how much they have to lose to taxes. and I think it was last year when oprahs guests all got a caR ( people in the audience). while everyone was saying..lucky them etc...i was thinking how much taxes to be paid. a week later a follow up story came out saying that each winner owed approx 5k in taxes.

written on my treo 650
    Winning money isn't too bad because even thoug you pay taxes, let's say that you won 1,000,000$ and the tax assessed was 20%. that leaves you with a 1,000,000 check to pay 200,000$ in taxes on. so you walk away with 800,000$..so you may not have won 1,000,000. You won 800,000$ heheheh not too bad. What sucks is when you win assets for prizes. A car, a house, a trip etc because the taxes assessed still require cash. You can't tell the irs to cut a room off the house or take 3 days off the trip heheheh you get stuck with a bill. Imagine my excitement when I got a brand new bike then the fustration that I might not have been able to afford the taxes on that bike. Made me wonder for a moment if I won a asset or a liability.

Best bet is if you can't afford to pay the tax on the items you won. Sell it. You only pay taxes on the value of the sale. Not the market price. just make sure you have the reciepts to prove you sold it in case they question you.

For those who win treo's just tell the irs that the units keep rebooting and don't work properly therefore decrease the market value by 80%. then you only owe change on the unit
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    i entered 3 times, 3 different email addreses.

re: the type the word thing to show you are a real person. A lot of websites are using this, but has anyone else run into a word they couldnt make out? "is that an "a"".
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by stylez23
    i just wanna win anything really wouldn't matter to me.. if i got the free treo i'd give it to my dad

so, if you win and give it to your father, does that mean you have to pay taxes for it and then your father has to pay taxes for it too?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast