Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know there's a lot 650 fans on this board and I was also once fanatic about the phone. But given my headaches and the 3 defective phones I got from Palmone, I've had it!

Sorry, I have to vent on this board but I just can't take it anymore. This is my 3rd Cingular 650 and I will no longer do any more RMA's. The return process is nothing but a nightmare and I really don't think they got their QC together.

The first two had a ringer problem where the ringer would stop working. Spent hours and days playing around with it, doing d-a-m-n hard resets and trying to explain to those fools at those mega call center at god knows where.

Added with the absolutely horrific CS I had with Palmone sales and their off-shored technical support, I won't be buying Palm for a long time.

I am still trying to get my money back from first defective and second defective phone. They forced me to buy a new one in return to get the first one returned and refunded. I have yet to see $$$ back.

Enough is enough.

For you fanatics, good luck and hope you won't have to deal with them. Thank god I bought this POS w/ AMEX.

am not a fanatic, but bought third party apps already like snapper and even though ending up with 6 treos I'm ok now. with hotsync setting up of a new device goes like a breeze.

you're - as me - on the very unlucky side, but there are properly working devices out there! problem is: the treo has no real competition. you wanna hold one of those pda-bricks to your head? perhaps the SE P910, maybe I keep an eye on its successor, the P1000 ...
    actually I think the reason there are so many pissed people out there (like me) is that PalmOne set our expectations much too high (especially if you were a 600 user) and have sold us a phone that cannot be relied upon. I guess I am a high end user, so the 650 is supposed to be my central platform for email, contacts, diary, notes etc. its critical for me that it always works (like a car - imagine if it failed on most journeys! - but at least there is a choice of other cars!) and Palm sold me a device insinuating that it is so. other issue is that there currently is no competition - always a bad thing.
    I have a Treo 600 that I purchased through AT&T and I am now on the Cingular network. I have absolutely no complaints. Everything works as it should. No sync problems, no looping resets, don't need to reset. I just load on to my Treo what I need and don't mess with downloading every freebie out there.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sklim1
    ...For you fanatics, good luck and hope you won't have to deal with them. Thank god I bought this POS w/ AMEX.

sorry you had a bad experience - P1 CS is poor at best.

Good advice using a preferred cc. When you return, make sure you get sig confirmation. I had to return one to Cingular and never got a credit - called the cc company and provided the tracking number (showed the item was signed for) and I was done....
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    " No sync problems, no looping resets, don't need to reset. I just load on to my Treo what I need and don't mess with downloading every freebie out there"

see that's where this just isn't right with the 650. the whole selling point behind palm os is that you should be able to "customize" it with your choice of thousands of different applications.
    so you buy a treo and find out, well you can install apps, but just not too many.
    not great for a phone that's supposedly a t600 successor.
    and you have to go through 6 $600 treos before you finally get one that works? geez, man.
    I don't know, I went and asked a sprint store rep if he gets reports of issues with the 650, and he claimed they were a breeze, and if there were any at all they were due to "software", and that the 600 was riddled with problems, not this one.
    misleading, Id say. he just wants to make the sale I think.
    I don't know, as bad as I want this phone, I think the 600 may be a hellluva lot more stable. its unfortunate, I was so close to taking the plunge.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    As long as the demand is out there. Companies will rush cool devices. But who can blame them. But there are some obvious problems with the Palm OS that should have been addressed(It's 10 years old!). Like No native MP3 ringtone support. Sure this is marketed as a business phone but please. You gotta compete. I'm not buying any more Palm items either. I only bought my Treo cuz I'm a fiend and need the coolest gadgets out there. The Treo's coolness is dropping everyday and I just figured it would be 6 months to a year before my:

PPC
    EVDO
    WIFI
    Bluetooth
    3.5 stereo jack
    megapixel camera
    qwerty keyboard
    antenna free
    dropable(won't wait for this but it would be nice)

device came out.
    Last edited by juice; 04/19/2005 at 07:22 AM.
    Can all of you who have given up on their Treo and Palm one do me a favor.... Please leave. These are pointless posts. And it doesn't help to call people that like their Treos fanatics. You're not wanted here anymore.

-BT
    Ditto BIGtrouble77. Just as these whiners charge those of us are "Treo fanatics" or "Treo fanboys" they are trolls plain and simple. Hundreds (perhaps thousands) have given the Treo thumbs up on this and other boards, and are satisfied or very satisfied with their Treos. One of the toughest critics, tundycentral, set up an anti-Palm petition site and got barely 100 signatures in three weeks of ranting.

If it doesn't work, return it. If you can't stand it, move to a better solution (GOOD LUCK). If you need help getting it working better, come back.

There are TOO MANY success stories around here to make your POS claims credible. I'm beginning to think there are certain people who could....oh well, let's not go there.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Mine is fine and yes as stated earlier in this post - watch for crappy software installed. These casue most problems - just use the stable ones and don't mess around so much - every once in a while do a voluntary hard reset and start over - works for me in case I get some resets, etc. Cheers, Fred
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Another thread illustrating the classic case of user error. If the device is too difficult for you to use, just return it and get something that's more "your speed."
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    actually I think the reason there are so many pissed people out there (like me) is that PalmOne set our expectations much too high (especially if you were a 600 user) and have sold us a phone that cannot be relied upon. I guess I am a high end user, so the 650 is supposed to be my central platform for email, contacts, diary, notes etc. its critical for me that it always works (like a car - imagine if it failed on most journeys! - but at least there is a choice of other cars!) and Palm sold me a device insinuating that it is so. other issue is that there currently is no competition - always a bad thing.
    I agree with you, the T600 was a much better device, and it's stability/functionality really makes the T650 look bad..
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    The T600 was NOT a stable device 6 months after its release. It really wasn't stable until the second firmware wich like it not happened after P1 was responsible. Since P1 purchased the treo from Handspring the device has done nothing but improve.
    ^^ Too bad they couldn't do that for the T650
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    The T600 was NOT a stable device 6 months after its release. It really wasn't stable until the second firmware wich like it not happened after P1 was responsible. Since P1 purchased the treo from Handspring the device has done nothing but improve.
    Not at all true. Have had the T600 since the first week of it's release. Handspring isn't the problem, PalmOne's premature release of the T650 is.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Not at all true. Have had the T600 since the first week of it's release. Handspring isn't the problem, PalmOne's premature release of the T650 is.
    I wasn't blaming handspring for anything. I was merely pointing out that P1 is improving the development. People constantly refer to P1 putting out a second generation device when in reality this is thier first gen. The 650 is only thier version of the 600 wich is far more advanced.
    There's a poll "are you happy with your 650" thread with 97% of reponders saying "Hell yeah !". That ain't bad. The main problems seem to be:

1) hardware issues ..... much more on earlier sprint model than on later Cingular.
    2) overanxious users who tried to "push" their programs from their 600 to the 650
    3) overanxious users who loaded 111 programs on their Treos on "Day 1".

People who want stability should stay off the "bleeding edge". To most IT Managers for example, any MicroSoft OS is still a beta until Servcie Pak 3 comes out, yet there are people lining up at midnite at CompUSA to buy copies. If you bought XP like this, don't be disappointed when your peripherals don't work or your fav program don't work as it's going to take MS, the hardware vendors and the software vendors about a year to get the kinks out. If you are like Joe IT Dude, waiting for SP3, then you are just about ready to venture into a Treo 600.

I wonder how many of the "Hey I just ordered my Treo 650, ...my order number is 0000003, who's with me" posters have turned into posters of "this think is poopoo".

Ya wanna be on the "bleeding edge", expect to bleed. Ya don't want to bleed, wait for the Palm's service pak 3 equivalent and give a chance for software vendors to figure out all the new NTFS and OS5.x quirks.

The alternative is to take advanatge of the technolgy now, use what works, be responsible on how you load things (wait 3 days and use as a phone first, always install from "scratch" - no hotsyncs from old install, no more than 1 program per hotsync and use Uninstall manager) and uninstall what doesn't work. Yes, there will still be the occasional "lemon" but reports here show that people have been satisfied when asking for replacements.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I wasn't blaming handspring for anything. I was merely pointing out that P1 is improving the development. People constantly refer to P1 putting out a second generation device when in reality this is thier first gen. The 650 is only thier version of the 600 wich is far more advanced.
    No, the T600 was revolutionary for it's time. The T650 is, to little to late, and in need of real testing and updating.

Hi-Res (Good)
    Bluetooth V1.1 (Junk)
    Camera (white balance)
    Replaceable battery (ok)

Far advanced, how so ? This isn't a $600 step up from the T600, hardly so.
    My new laptop is not a $1500 dollar step up from the one I bought last year either.

In fact its only improvements mimic that of the 650
    faster processor
    better screen
    Ok there is one thing I did get bigger hard drive.

However these improvements caused my battery life to down.
    now that I think about it... BIG DUMB STUPID PC COMPANY what the Hell were they thinking releasing this piece of junk?!?!?!?
    The value is what you perceive the value to be to you.

T600 to T650 trade up no more than $150.00.
    Last edited by dlbrummels; 04/19/2005 at 02:46 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast