1.    #1  
    RIP, MPx....can we have a moment of silence, please.

--------------------------------------------------------

Motorola MPx Will Never Be Widely Released
    By Ed Hardy | Editor-in-Chief
    Apr 18, 2005

One of the most widely anticipated handhelds of last year was Motorola's very innovative MPx.

This cellular-wireless Pocket PC's dual-hinge deign, which allowed it to be used as both a handheld and smartphone, turned heads whenever Motorola showed it off, which it did at almost every high-tech tradeshow in 2004.

However, despite all the customers who really wanted to get their hands on this device, Motorola kept delaying the release.

Finally, about nine months after the first announcement, it was released, but only in Asia.

Now DigiTimes is reporting that Motorola has canceled all production of the MPx.

In addition, Phone Scoop is reporting being told by a Motorola spokesperson that Motorola has dropped plans for a commercial launch of this device outside of Malaysia.

There are few details on why this happened. The only insight DigiTimes has to give is the fact that China is cracking down on unapproved devices using Wi-Fi, and therefore Motorola decided to not release this Wi-Fi-enabled device. However, this doesn't explain why the MPx wasn't released in other regions of the world.
    A Successor on the Horizon

As much as this news will disappoint people who were looking forward to the MPx, Motorola is already putting together a successor.

In February, Motorola's CEO said that his company is making a cellular-wireless handheld that will be a "super-slim version of the MPx."

He's been showing off a prototype of this device at tradeshows to impressed audiences.
    What Is the MPx330?

The DigiTimes report contains one other interesting mention. According to it, Motorola plans to cancel its order with Chi Mei Communication Systems (CMCS) for the MPx230.

This is the first mention of the MPx230, a Windows Mobile smartphone that apparently will replace the MPx220.

Unlike the MPx, it doesn't seem at this point that Motorola is actually canceling the MPx230. Instead, this company has decided to stop having its products manufactured in Taiwan, and this smartphone will instead be made at Motorola's own factories.
    You hear that????

It's the beginning of the end........again
    Good riddance to that BRICK!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Now DigiTimes is reporting that Motorola has canceled all production of the MPx.
    [...]
    There are few details on why this happened.
    Maybe Tundy started an anti-MPx website. http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoti.../happy/672.gif
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 04/18/2005 at 06:57 PM.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    You hear that????

It's the beginning of the end........again
    no, it was actually the end of the end which is the beginning of a new end... ....of the end .... again.
    Do I sense a NBC miniseries about these...."Revelations"??
    what a pity - another good idea layed to rest. I guess the best part of the Treo isn't the screen, or the Os, or Etc.- ot's the simple fact that it's here - now- and has been for a long time.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    On a seperate note (thus the additional post) remember the Ben Q ?

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000680040520/
    da Gimp

B-model - "it's here - now - and has been for a long time." Hear hear!
    Yep - Actually, I'm jealous of all the people who had the Treo experience before me (I jumped on the bandwagon w/ the 600, late I must add) 300 - talk about being ahaead of a curve.
    da Gimp

PHEW!
    I was soooo close to getting that piece of S. I read the reviews and all the complaints were similar to the problems I had with the Motorola T720, but this was supposed to be thier "smart phone". *snicker*
    Well, the Treo is here and the Motorola isn't.

If it turns out to be better, we'll all buy it!
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    On a seperate note (thus the additional post) remember the Ben Q ?

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000680040520/
    I remember back in december when I was thinking about getting the 650 there were many people here aggressively saying to hold off for the benQ smartphone, that it will annihilate the T650. I guess we'll have to see how well that HP Treo clone fairs now.
    Yeah - and HP seems to hold the greatest competition for the Treo as a consumer. They've been in the field longer, and have delivered a number of quality products.

Does the next Treo stay after the business clients (and fight Blackberry), or lean further toward the general public? Or do we finally see the 'line' of Treos.

I have no idea, but as long as atteps like the MPx and the Samsung i550 never see the light of day (in the US) Palmone is going to have a sure fire hit.
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    no, it was actually the end of the end which is the beginning of a new end... ....of the end .... again.
    "I suddenly find myself needing to know the plural of 'apocalypse'."
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.