Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know someone else posted about this, but I thought I'd share my experience. I have a renters and auto policy with State Farm. Although they don't publicize it, they have a policy called a Personal Articles Policy. This is basically for anything you carry on your person.

I went in today with my receipts for my Treo 650, bluetooth headset, and a $400 Kodak camera I bought in 2004. They copied the receipts, and gave me the plan: $30/year. Yeah, that's right. All 3 items. And, I can add other items later on; just fax them the receipts. Also, the best part, no deductible. Way cheaper than Cingular's insurance would have been.

I hope this information is beneficial to some people. You don't have to be a previous State Farm customer to benefit. Take care.
    Hmm I have Farmer's homeowners. I'll have to call my agent and ask if they offer anything like. I also have AAA Auto, I guess it's worth inquiring with them as well about an add on plan like this.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I've known about this for some time and never thought to post info about it. I did the same by adding it to my State Farm plan. In fact, my agent was the one who suggested it! It's a great rider plan for me. Relatively, inexpensive yearly cost and no deductible.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    For me State Farm is saying that my phone isn't covered under Personal Articles and that my renter's insurance would cover it but there's a $500 deductible. Pure BS! I'm trying to get to the bottom of this now.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    After digging in further with my State Farm agent, they replied -

"I just spoke with our underwriter, and yes we will cover the phone under
    a PAP because the phone is value over $400. Let me know if you are
    interest and we can start on the application. I need to have a copy of
    the receipt. "

However, my company has a 50% discount with Cingular and so I paid around $275 for mine. Crapola!
    My SF source says you MAY have to have a homeowners (or renters?) policy to get this as an anti-fraud measure. But claims on the PAP don't affect your those policies and wether or not you have to have it seems to be up to the agent.
    Pete
    I have State Farm.....I'll check this out.

Thanks!
    I also did this. The plan covers anything as a "personal article". My plan was $3 per $100 coverage. I put my treo, myfi, bt250, laptop, memory card etc... for around 150 a year, no deductible. It doesn't matter what you paid, you declare the value in terms of replacement cost. Because many buy phones at a one-time discount, yet replacing would be more.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ampedover
    After digging in further with my State Farm agent, they replied -

"I just spoke with our underwriter, and yes we will cover the phone under
    a PAP because the phone is value over $400. Let me know if you are
    interest and we can start on the application. I need to have a copy of
    the receipt. "

However, my company has a 50% discount with Cingular and so I paid around $275 for mine. Crapola!
    State Farm never mentioned a minimum of the items worth to me, so that's weird. I mean, I added my Bluetooth headset, which was $79.99. In any event, here is a copy of the brochure. Hopefully this can help someone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I added my girlfriend in case she ever decides to leave me. Statefarm will give me 400$ in hooker money.
    that was funny, can i please get the number of you agent. i'd like to join state farm also.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    One thing to consider is that if you make a claim for your phone it goes on your HOME OWNERS policy. A 1% increase because of claim history the next tie you renew could cost you a lot more that the phone is worth over a couple years. You guys might want to ask about that. A I'm not sure that it will cover the Treo that was dropped in the sink or thrown against the wall by your girlfriend after she saw a verichat pop-up chat request with the screen name "Up4anything" and the message said "meet me NOW!"
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    This is a saparate policy, not a rider on your Homeowners' policy. It's been stated that you don't even need a HO policy with State Farm, so how could it possibly affect your HO premium?
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    This is a separate policy, not a rider on your Homeowners' policy. It's been stated that you don't even need a HO policy with State Farm, so how could it possibly affect your HO premium?
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I have a computer rider on my renters insurance that convers my Treo. They'll replace or repair. They fixed my powerbook when I dropped it. It's a pretty good deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    What's the deductible?
    I dunno if that was directed towards me, but for my plan it's none.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Your renter's insurance deductible is $0? That must be a little pricey.

Well, now I'm getting the brush off by my State Farm agent. They won't reply to my emails about coverage under the PAP for items I bought under this magic $400 number. Don't have a chance to call them during work hours. Anyways, mnr602 made a good point about the replacement value of the item which would be the original price of $550. Might have to find another State Farm agent as everyone else seems to be having better luck than I.
    I'd find another agent if your agent is blowing you off. Each agent is essentially competing with every other SF agent for your business, so they'd have incentive to treat you well.
    Pete
  19.    #19  
    For the record as was mentioned, this is a standalone policy that you could walk of the street and get. I HAPPEN to have a renters policy with them, but they are totally separate. As for the agent blowing you off, you need to walk in and ask for this. Like I mentioned before, they don't publicize it and will prob not give info on the phone about it. As I showed you all in the brochure, it's an actual policy and they have to honor your request for it. It has a $0 deductible which is the nicest part.
    My agent at first said that there was a deductable but then called back that there wasn't. I just don't think she knew anything about it and had to read up. She says the premium for $2700 worth of stuff will be $44 a year. She says the minimum is $30.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast