Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    I need to go ahead and send in my laptop receipt and add it to the policy and pay the little extra it may cost to do so...
    Just one warning for those with State Farm. This is the deal as I understand it. Even though a claim against you Personal Articles Policy won't affect the premiums of either your PAP or you HO insurance, it is recorded as a claim. it disappears off the record after 3 years. So for the following 3 years after a claim, if you tried to move insurance carriers, the new carrier would use the claim against you when figuring out your insurance rates. If you plan to stay with State Farm indefinitely, then it is an irelevant issue.
  3.    #23  
    We can all piece this apart for the next few days, but the bottom line is that we now have a company that will insure our Treo whereas we didn't have one before (at least with Cingular), and it's cheaper than the Cingular plan would have been with 0 deductible. I think we should all just take advantage of it. There are negatives to every insurance plan; that's the nature of their game. I say get it before they get wise to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    Like I mentioned before, they don't publicize it and will prob not give info on the phone about it.
    Well they may not shout it from the rooftops, but they do list it on their web site under "Other Insurance."
    http://www.statefarm.com/insuranc/addins/personal.htm
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Thanks for the post. I was under the impression it only covered stuff you could carry on you. But that listing says computers as well. I need to cover my new 2405fpw.

A big question. Will they cover devices that just die? Not due to physical damage but just go bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by puppyfriend
    Thanks for the post. I was under the impression it only covered stuff you could carry on you. But that listing says computers as well. I need to cover my new 2405fpw.

A big question. Will they cover devices that just die? Not due to physical damage but just go bad?
    I doubt it. But if it dies, report it as lost (or run over it with your car <g>).

Another thing to keep in mind: Not sure about state farm, but most insurance companies are getting really unhappy about paying claims. File too many claims, even for small amounts, and they'll cancel you. I wouldn't want to lose my homeowners insurance because I filed a claim for my cell phone.

I'd ask about their claim policies, and how a claim for the Treo will count, before signing up.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Well, after dealing with my current agent's BS for what the Personal Article Policy would cover and cost me, I called on some other agents and will be going to buying through them for $30/yr, $0 deductible just like everyone else.

Amazing! My own agent I have been with for 5 years (and now leaving) was completely unwilling to help saying they were at the mercy of their under-writer and that there would be a $500 deductible on the policy.

State Farm agents do not compete I was told so the new agent I called on was a little reluctanct to take me on but then agreed. To say the least I was grateful.

Just thought I'd share my experience...
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ampedover
    Well, after dealing with my current agent's BS for what the Personal Article Policy would cover and cost me, I called on some other agents and will be going to buying through them for $30/yr, $0 deductible just like everyone else.

Amazing! My own agent I have been with for 5 years (and now leaving) was completely unwilling to help saying they were at the mercy of their under-writer and that there would be a $500 deductible on the policy.

State Farm agents do not compete I was told so the new agent I called on was a little reluctanct to take me on but then agreed. To say the least I was grateful.

Just thought I'd share my experience...
    This is great to hear. I wanted to respond to the person who mentioned that they were worried about cancellation of policies. This policy is not related to your home owners. They don't cancel your auto insurance because your house burns down 2 or 3 times. They are separate, and from my experience they keep them as such. Now, I do have combined billing with my renters and auto, but that's as close as they get.
    Just called State Farms and they told me that they received a memo stating that PAP is no longer offered. She was going to check for me again and call me back (still haven't heard from her). If anyone can confirm/disprove this I'd be really happy. I am still trying to find a place that will insure this treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by lukatmyshu
    Just called State Farms and they told me that they received a memo stating that PAP is no longer offered. She was going to check for me again and call me back (still haven't heard from her). If anyone can confirm/disprove this I'd be really happy. I am still trying to find a place that will insure this treo.
    Yes, my State Farm Agent told me that they were no longer allowing cellphones to be added to the Personal Articles Policies. She seemed to recall seeing "something" recently. Went away to check and called me back in about 15 minutes to give me the bad news. Seems this might be correct info.

Earlier in this thread, someone posted a pdf of a PAP brochure which specifically listed cellphones. Further down, a link directly to the PAP section of thier web site makes liberal use of the word "may" and has no mention of cellphones.
  11.    #31  
    Well I will check to see if I'm still covered, since I signed the contract already.
    I just faxed over a list of items totalling $3100 (including my Treo 650) to my State Farm rep and asked for a quote on a PAP.

They quoted $35 a year with a $100 deductible, which is fine with me. Better deal than Sprint's $60 a year and it covers my dell notebook and iPod.
    Terret ... where is your rep located? I'd love to sign up with him/her right now
    Insurance is usually State Regulated, so you likely need to go with a local agent.
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by lukatmyshu
    Terret ... where is your rep located? I'd love to sign up with him/her right now
    I'm in Seattle, WA. If you're in WA I'd be glad to give you their name/number.
    I have State Farm and had no problem putting this on as personal articles. It was better then putting it under my homeowners and as stated in an earlier post, no deductible!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I just called and was told that they won't sell it to me without me having my homeowners or auto insurance with them. I was also told that if you have two claims in a short time they will drop you.
    I thought I'd post this just so everyone has some additioanl information regarding obtaining insurance for your Treo.

I've researched a number of insurers (independents, web insurance services, major insurers, etc.) in the last few weeks regarding obtaining coverage for both my Treo and my laptop. The best deal I've gotten is to go with State Farm and insure the items on a Personal Articles Policy. I am a current SF customer, so I'm sure that has some bearing on my policy. I asked my agent if there was something going on regarding State Farm no longer offering PAPs and he said no, as long as you have other coverage through State Farm; eg., Auto or HO. But they will no longer write a PAP for someone who does not have Auto, HO, or other coverage of some kind.

I got a PAP for my laptop, my T650, and my Moto v3. The cost is 1.25 per $100 of replacement value for the laptop and 3.50 per $100 for the phones. The phone coverage is much higher per $100 because State Farm considers phones very high risk items. The policy has no deductible, covers all peril including loss, and provides coverage for me anywhere in the world. The last part is a big deal for me beacause I often travel to international destinations. The rates I'm quoting are for Georgia, so they may be different if you live elsewhere, but I don't think so. I had to furnish a copy of original purchase receipt and statement regarding current replacement value as well as serial #.

I drilled my agent regarding what could potentially hapen in the event of a claim. He assured me it is not treated any differently than a claim on your auto or HO. All insurers base their coverage rates on underwriter standards, but then bump the rate up or down depending on your individual risk assessment and part of that is where you live. Since I have a very low claim history, my rates are very low. Someone with a higher claim history would likely pay more. Also, since I'm a long time customer of State Farm (20+ yrs) I have a no cancellation ruling in effect for my insurance coverage. In effect, this insures that State Farm will not cancel my insurance coverage no matter the claim size. However, I have to feel there is some small print in the contract somewhere that may override that if I filed for a really huge claim. Insurers are not stupid!

I now have both of my high cost phones fully insured for all types of loss or damge for $42 a year total. That's not a bad deal at all.

Other insurers I checked with broke down into these categories.
    1. Would not issue a PAP policy for the phones, but would for my laptop.
    2. Would not issue a PAP for either one.
    3. Would issue a PAP for the phones, but the cost was in excess of $30 per $100 value and some in excess of $50 per $100 value or higher. Annual fees.
    4. Would only issue a PAP if you had other coverage with them; eg., Auto, HO, Life.

Most fell into Categories 1, 2, or 4.

According to my agent if you have coverage with a HO policy through any major insurer you should be able to get a PAP policy for your phone (assuming it's a high dollar item such as Treo). However, he did say some insurers place restrictions on availability of a PAP for some items if you only have a renter's HO policy.
  19.    #39  
    Thank you for the clarifications. This should be great news for Treo Owners. Since I had to get Renters Insurance anyway, and it was inexpensive, this PAP was a perfect addition. I plan on adding my laptop today (I've been holding the receipt in my wallet for a week forgetting to stop in). Even if the insurance was just for once and they cancelled you, paying $35-$45/year sure beats paying $500 for another Treo.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12