1.    #1  
    So I broke down and bought the GlobalSat SirfIII unit and TomTom 2004 bundle from Semsons. $274 with overnight shipping.

First of all, it is awesome. The unit is much smaller than I imagined. I keep it in my console and the Treo still connects to it and it to the satellites no problem. When I leave the car it shuts off after 10 minutes of no BT connection. The reroutes, after you leave the designated route, are almost instant. There have been a few new housing developments that are not on teh mapset, but hopefully that will be corrected by the upcoming release. If a call comes in while you are navigating the screen shows the normal incoming call screen and you have the option of answering the call. If you answer it you cannot continue to see the navigation. However, once you hang up you can hit the TomTom icon and it takes you right back to the navigation screen without missing a beat (unless your call was longer than 10 minutes then you have to turn the GlobalSat back on for it to reconnect).

Okay, now to my question for anyone who has the TomTom software. How can you plan a route that runs across more than 1 mapset? Do you just plan the route and then switch maps when you cross the border? Also, how much detail is there in the major roads map? I need to plan a trip from Chicago to Denver and am trying to figure out the best way to use TomTom for that.
    Thanks.
    you've hit on my exact problem. I know there must be a way to plan trips across maps but i sure haven't found it yet.
    Does anyone know whether this issue (a trip that "crosses" maps) may be addressed in Navigator 5?
    Looking at TomTom's Go version of Nav. 5 (http://www.gpspassion.com/pics/TomTo...l/whatsnew.htm), it looks like you would need new maps.

One option would be to use one of the major roads map, then switch over to the detailed when you've crossed the border.

The only issue I've come across with TomTom is that it gave up calculating an alternative route from Seatle WA to a city in California (forgot which one I tried) via Key West, FL, using the major maps. Not really that big of an issue, though.
    Here's the answer I got from their support line.

When traveling from region to region, you are only allowed to plan a route within that region. Once you cross the border into another region, you would have to switch maps and then re-calculate your route to the next region. With the upgrade to Navigator 2004, you will have Major Roads of America (strictly interstate highways). You can use this map to travel cross country however this map does not give you full detail of the city/town you are in. If you would like a more detailed map when visiting a certain city/town, you would then have to switch to the single/regional state map(s) it is in.

So it looks like you have to recalculate every time you cross a region/state boundry depending on the map you have installed.
    So going ftom Tulsa, OK to the grand canyon via taos, I'd have to have the OK map then change to the AZ/NM map at the OK border then coming back I can use the major highway maps. Kind of a pain that you have to use their choice of areas and can't just load the states you need or even the whole US if needed...
    Quote Originally Posted by cmccarter
    Here's the answer I got from their support line.

When traveling from region to region, you are only allowed to plan a route within that region. Once you cross the border into another region, you would have to switch maps and then re-calculate your route to the next region. With the upgrade to Navigator 2004, you will have Major Roads of America (strictly interstate highways). You can use this map to travel cross country however this map does not give you full detail of the city/town you are in. If you would like a more detailed map when visiting a certain city/town, you would then have to switch to the single/regional state map(s) it is in.

So it looks like you have to recalculate every time you cross a region/state boundry depending on the map you have installed.
    So going ftom Tulsa, OK to the grand canyon via taos, I'd have to have the OK map then change to the AZ/NM map at the OK border then coming back I can use the major highway maps. Kind of a pain that you have to use their choice of areas and can't just load the states you need or even the whole US if needed...
    I am using the latest version of Navigator (4.42) and have Major Cities of America loaded. I previously thought it contained only interstates also, but at least for Denver (where I live), it shows just as much detail as the respective state map. My dad lives in a suburb of Chicago and the Major Cities map was able to route me from my home in Denver to his door. The same was true for a friend that lives in Mountain View, CA. If you're going from one major city (maybe not even that major) to another, using this should be fine instead of dealing with the overlapping map issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    I am using the latest version of Navigator (4.42) and have Major Cities of America loaded. I previously thought it contained only interstates also, but at least for Denver (where I live), it shows just as much detail as the respective state map. My dad lives in a suburb of Chicago and the Major Cities map was able to route me from my home in Denver to his door. The same was true for a friend that lives in Mountain View, CA. If you're going from one major city (maybe not even that major) to another, using this should be fine instead of dealing with the overlapping map issue.
    There's two sets of "Major" maps, one that has just the major roads, and one that has details for major cities in addition to major roads. Just a warning when you try to install them: both of them use the same name on the card, so one will overwrite the other. At least it did in my case.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Should point out that there significant differences in the major cities map and the regional ones. I live in Chicago, and there's an exit off the Kennedy near where I live that it not on the Major Cities map. When I route using this map, I always get odd directions when getting close to home. The exit is on the state map and I always get accurate routing when using it, however. Also, my brother lives in a south suburb of Denver that TomTom provides poor detail for. He's in Highlands Ranch, and on the Major cities map, his entire subdivision isn't even shown, but it is on the Colorado map.

I find the detail to be very good for the state maps, but somewhat spotty for the Major Cities map. All in all, though, I find the TomTom software to be ~very~ good. I bought and tried to use Mapopolis and had very poor results. I found slow routing times, crashes (sometimes at very inopportune times, such as after missing a turn and needing to reroute) and a somewhat clunky interface. I'm very pleased with the results and performance of TomTom and am looking forward to the version 5 update.

I did get some dissapointing news from TomTom today, however. I asked about 'Plus' services being compatible with CDMA devices (I use Sprint) and was told that it will not work. The response was a little odd, but I fingure it's a language thing (being they're located in the Netherlands, I believe). I'll copy the info I got from them below;

>At the current time CDMA-enabled devices are not supported by our products. It has >more to due with the limited amount of data used with the CDMA products as well as >the overall cost associated when using that particular service. The GSM/GPRS devices >are more widespread and we can not yet confirm whether CDMA-enabled devices will >be supported in the future.

>Kind Regards,

>TomTom USA Customer Service
    Limited amount of data? The bandwidth of CDMA 1x vs GPRS is something like 153kb/s vs 171kb/s.

I can maybe understand issues if they're talking about their Go products communicating with a CDMA phone vs a GSM phone over bluetooth. They're aren't a lot of phones for CDMA that have bluetooth (and have it enabled for network access).
    In reference to the PLUS services -- I was poking through their website and didn't see anything indicating that the traffic monitoring, etc. being available in the States. Does anyone have info to the contrary?