1.    #1  
    I am a new Treo650 user on Cingular. I have been with AT&T/Cingular for years and the coverage is fine. I work for a tech company-Control4 that makes home automation equipment and consider myself computer literate. Several people have had 600 and 650's at my company and liked them. Recently a few others have begun using the Siemans SX66 and rave about them. The 650 is my first PDA/Smartphone and I do like it. I still have some time left on my trial of the 650 (I think) and am wondering if I should get the SX66. Some differences I observed:

1. WiFI on the SX66. It was commented that if one is somehow out of cell coverage, then a WiFi network may be available. This is also a benefit for home networking. As a sied note, we will have drivers to let you use the SX66 as a home control interface. I think this is cool.

2. Windows Platform. For multi-media this seems to kill Palm. Media Player 9 (wish it was 10) is great. What about stability? also, native WIN Aps like I use on my laptop are all right there. No cross platform converting needed.

3. Screen larger. Maybe only needed for multimedia?

4. Form factor and size. While they actually are similar in size, the Treo because of its design seems trimmer. The SX66 seems a bit clunky looking. I am not a wearer of phones on my belt rather it goes in shirt or pants pocket or I just carry it. I have read that the keybooard on the SX66 is not as good. Having come from the one-thumb world of text messaging, I am relearning how to type with both on the Treo.

5. I have heard conflicting reports of whether the Cingular SX66 has a camera/video camera and speakerphone. I am using the Bluespoon AX bluetooth which is great and was easy to configure on the Treo.

Any other thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat. I've had the 650 for about 2.5 weeks but my local Cingular store has yet to get me the SX66. The SX66 does *not* have a camera. I think I'm going to stick with the Treo for a few reasons. First, I found a workable VPN client (Movian). Second, it just looks more phone-like which is like for some odd reason...it seems a LOT smaller even though it's just a bit. Third, the keyboard is better - the handwriting recognition on the SX66 I used in-store was WAY too slow to be functional so the keyboard is key. Finally, I like the Palm apps that are out there and think many/most interface better with Office than the PocketPC - Docs2go, for example, can open and edit native office files and I don't think pocket office can.

Now if they could just get the earpiece volume increased!
    It really comes down to personal preference when choosing a smartphone. Each has its pluses and minus. The best thing to do is to try both in person and make your own decision. You may want to do a search on this board as well, as this topic has been discussed several times before.

You may also want to check out this Microsoft employee's blog as well. He had gone through several smartphones and finally settled on the Treo 650. Again, this is purely a personal decision. What works for him may not work for you.

Good luck.

http://blogs.msdn.com/omars/archive/...26/402476.aspx
    The SX66 doesn't have a 3.5 stereo jack. It's got a crap 2.5. And no camera. Boring... Oh yeah and no EDGE either.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    If I were to go the PocketPC/Cingular route I'd opt for an unlocked Imate P2k or whatever it's called. Same as the Siemens but with a camera. No edge though...but my "edge" connections ain't all that fast anyways!
    I have both the Treo 650 and Siemens SX66.

I really enjoy using the SX66 for web surfing. I find that it's pretty fast even though it doesn't have EDGE. I like the larger screen. I spend a lot of time using it to read during my bus commute home each day from work.

I really like the 650 as a phone. I have a hard time, mentally, using the SX66 as a phone so I use the 650 more for phone calls.

Both the 650 and SX66 have good and bad points. As others have said, it's personal preference.

If you have any other questions I'll be happy to try and answer them for you.
    I saw the PPC-6600(it's cousin) today. I was disappointed to tell you the truth. Not the quality I expected, flimsy. Treo 650 is more solid. JMO though.

But I had wanted the SX66 badly until I picked it up. It's cousin anyway, but they probably have similar feel.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I am using the 650 now, along with an iMate JAM, both have respective strengths & weaknesses. I ditched the SX66 b/c it took Siemens forever to patch the ROm, the B/T stack was so unstable when I bought the unit before last Christmas, and the original battery just couldn't keep up (though there're after-market alternatives now).

IMHO, the JAM is probably one of the most stable PPC-based phone devices out there, especially after my upgrade to 128M on board and the extended battery. However, I am still undecided betwenn the 650 & the JAM but one thing I know is that the sliding mechanism on the Blue Angel series will not hold up from personal experience.

In the end, the Palm/WinCE thing is a personal choice....
    Without EDGE it was dead to me