View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with your Treo?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yeah!!

166 95.40%
  • Hell no!!

8 4.60%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I started out with a Treo 300 and have since upgraded through the 600 to the 650. Each device has been a big improvment over the prevoius one. There is no comparison from the 300 to the 650! A few weeks ago, I picked up my old 600 (now my wife's phone) and played with it for a while. It just doesn't compare to the 650 at all! The 650's screen and keyboard are sooo much better. The 650 is faster by a large margin. I still can't believe how much I can do with this device. A few: Contacts, Calendar, Memos, ToDo's, Documents, Email - all synced with both my Home and Work PC's. Then I have: web, FTP, IRC, SSH, VNC, DUN, GPS Navigation, Alarm clock, Stopwatch, Calculator (various).

With the help of ScheduleCare, my 650 configures itself to match my daily routine - changes volumes, brightness, vibrations, rintones, phone and BT on/off and much more on a scheduled basis.

As for resets, I have had my share. The majority have been related to BETA software that I'm testing. Others have been from versamail (prior to 1.08 firmware- none since) and a couple that I just can't explain. BT was initially a problem but that seemd to get resolved with the carkit update. Now, I have a daily reset *scheduled* at 3am just prior to my automatic daily backup with BBVFS. Since I started this routine, I've seen very few random resets. I think, just like a PC, these things need a reboot once in a while to clear out the cobwebs and if done in a controlled fashion there will be fewer unexplained problems.

There are a few things that I think could be better: More internal ram (64mb min, 128 preferred), BT 1.2 or at least enable voice dial via BT and the phone app lag is annoying but not a deal breaker by any means.

Thats it for now.

-X (A very happy 650'er)
    Last edited by Xathros; 04/18/2005 at 01:43 PM.
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Before buying the 650 I joined this board and started reading everyday. What I saw were MANY threads complaining about this and that. It worried me a little so I sent several PMs on SprintUsers to owners of 650s. Every reply was a positive one, saying I should go for it. So I went ahead and bought a 650, and I can say I am not disappointed in the least. It does everything I'd hoped for, it's the best phone I've ever owned for sure. I will be looking forward to future models in the Treo line.
    Last edited by Quantum_Man; 04/18/2005 at 01:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I have also solved many of my issues by reading this site.

My previous phone was a SE T68i, and I'll tell you, that was a peice of crap.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    ...and the Gator agrees with the Nole!
    Exterminate!

Palm Pilot-> Palm Pilot 1MG upgrade-> Palm IIIx-> Visor Deluxe-> Visor Prism-> Clie N610c-> Verizon Kyocera 7135-> Verizon Treo 600-> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Diamond
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum_Man
    Before buying the 650 I joined this board and started reading everyday. What I saw were MANY threads complaining about this and that. It worried me a little so I sent several PMs on SprintUsers to owners of 650s. Every reply was a positive one, saying I should go for it. So I went ahead and bought a 650, and I can say I am not disappointed in the least. It does everything I'd hoped for, it's the best phone I've ever owned for sure. I will be looking forward to future models in the Treo line.
    I've been around since the T300 but the cries about the T650 concerned me also.

So I posted a thread before buying where I asked folks their opinion. Most were positive about the device and really showed that there were more happy folks out there than the few unhappy owners.

Then I went and brought a T650. And all I've been able to say to myself since then is "why did you ever concern yourself with the cries of those who mostly harbor misplaced anger?" And since then I have fully enjoyed theads like this one that show most T650 owners are happy with the device. Since the angry cries often mislead people to think that the "few" who can't resolve their issues might be the "many" when they are not.
    NRG I couldnt have said it better myself
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    NRG I couldn't have said it better myself
    Give me the treo slider! (So long as it's no wider than current model). THAT would be the berries for a model 7XX and might even catch me looking.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    twas brillig
    Need information on Real Estate, Please contact me!!!
    www.TheMMTeam.com
    What's that saying about squeaky wheels again

Love our Treo 650s.
    Hell Yeah!!!
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    So we have a total of four (4) people that are making all this noise about how bad the Treo is on this site? Terrible.

128-4 in favor of the Treo.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Verngator
    ...and the Gator agrees with the Nole!
    LOL
    I have to agree with Darnell. The intensity with which some folks decry the Treo as being inadequate and imperfect because of no Wi-fi, etc surprised me. It seemed way out of proportion and over the top. It screamed,"I am pissed off with my life and I blame my Treo".

133-4 in favor of Treo 650 now. Haha!!
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    So we have a total of four (4) people that are making all this noise about how bad the Treo is on this site? Terrible.

128-4 in favor of the Treo.
    whats funny i was about to post something like this on sunday after i read a couple of my 650 did this and damn that, anyhow i found this thread and it rocks, NRG great going bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I see all these threads that state, "palmOne is terrible", "My Treo resets every day", maybe even "my Treo resets 5 times a day", "No Wifi", "not enough memory", "NFVS sucks", etc, etc. Now I am not going to say these problems are not real. Just that I personally have never experienced any of these problems, except the WiFi bit. With the WiFi issue, I see it as a non-issue, cause usually if I am near WiFi, I have got a laptop. So no issue for me! Resets seem to be a concern for some people, but, I believe these issues are self-made by the owner of the Treo. I have had my fair share of Treos in the past. A few of these are as follows pre-ordered the Sprint Treo 300 (had 2 these, one lost and one broke), 3 Treo 600s (2 lost and 1 "Network Issue" <--- A REAL PROBLEM), and1 Treo 650. Now all of these have worked flawlessly for me. Did the Treos do EVERYTHING I wanted them to? No, it took a few third party apps to get the Treos to do what I wanted it to do. No big deal cause I am a little more demanding of my smartphones.

Not Enough Memory and Resets
    . . . . . . )snip_

BT DUN
    It was the bastards at the phone companies that deprived your stock Treo of BT DUN not palmOne. But alas, "Shadowmite" stepped up and addressed this problem for us. Which I think all Sprint 650 owners should give him a round of applause. So this issue is addressed no reason to cry about it anymore.

Phone lag when dialing number

(snip)

Hello

Great post NRG

I love my TREO 650.

I read through all the posts in this thread before adding mine. I will equivocate and say that AFTER the 1.08 update, I am a happy multi TREO 650 owner/user.

Before the 1.08 update I had three Pa1mOne (Sprint badge) TREO 650's that all were fun and useful devices but which sucked as "phones" even with the custom ROMs.

The update has made my phone pseudo complete duplex when it was not even close to being full duplex before. Since my 650's work as phones now I could almost NOT be happier.

I have purchased a Sandisk 2GB ultra II card that was shipped to me today so my laptop and iPod will be getting more rest these days.

Versamail after 1.08:

Versamail works now and although I acknowledge that there are other excellent third party choices it means something to me that email works out of the box and (correct me if i am wrong) but it is not fee based at all although it is also not a push system. I'm fine with that.

I have never had reset issues and I have 40 applications and utilities at all times sitting on my SD card. I have loaded each third party application one at a time and have taken my time adding more freeware utilities, shareware and purchased applications one by one.

I have found this forum to be very informative and have even been pleasantly surprised to find PM's answering questions about third party products I have asked over the past few months.

Battery drain issue:

I had terrible battery drain issues while using 1.05 and a Custom ROM and those battery issues are gone for now.

I hate to jinx this but the 650 works in recording studio control rooms (not the heavy soundproof isolation booths and live rooms) where most other phones including the TREO 300 could never hold an incoming call for more than a minute before dropping the call. The 650 works to accept calls, make outgoing calls and to check email as well as other data transfer chores in these less than desirable locations that are known to be weak Sprint PCS areas or locations.

I think the 650 is great and we all know there will be new toys on the horizon but I'm kind of used to that and if this device does what it does today-months from now without problems I'm fine with it. I'm disappointed with respect to the lack of wifi but I will look into the brick, (I mean sled) if it ever ships and for me, that will work fine and probably will keep my PowerBook 17" (laptop) in its case more often than not on the road.

I have said before that I feel there is room for improvement with respect to bluetooth implementation on the 650 and although I'm not counting on a bluetooth upgrade on this device, I see the potential for some improvement of the implementation if Pa1mOne cares to attempt this but 1.08 has helped my bluetooth headset issues as well. I am still told my Scala 500 sounds like crap but I don't sweat it anymore (since I can switch from the headset to the handset) and I'm finally hearing less static. I am also now told (post 1.08 update) that the 650 sounds OK and that says a lot since my clients got on my case about the newest greatest gadget sounding like crap as a phone for 4 months. I am also told at times that it sounds fine by the same people who said it sounded terrible before. I was not able to get a word in edgewise when someone was hyper (or into the conversation and put out energy) due to the lack of full duplex before, and now it is improved.

Again, I don't have random resets (1 unexpected reset since 1.08 update) and I do admit to using an alpha application and an ancient unsupported (an old AIM) that is not approved for the TREO 650. My point is that I do this at my own risk. If I start to have instability issues it will be my responsibility to remove potential offenders and or start all over and add third party applications one by one until my "software issues" are solved. I might have to ask a question here and I hope to receive some help when I do but I won't ***** and moan that my TREO sucks because I insisted on using a beta, alpha or outdated application I was told would not work but which I wanted to use anyway.

DUN:

DUN works for me. It seems way too slow but I have not tried it with my PowerBook in many locations. Yes, it is potentially buggy if one does not follow the procedure suggested by others on this board who were generous and posted suggestions for the sequence of starting and ending the DUN session.

Blaming the TREO for third party software that does not play well with others:

If I purchase a game that I liked years ago, install it on my shiny new desktop at home and then have issues with crashes, should I say my computer sucks? Should I complain about the manufacturer of the desktop? What if my computer is running all other applications just fine but this newly added old application (game) has not been updated to work on the newest operating system that I have upgraded to subsequent to having used the program years ago?

Anyway, I find it helpful to hear constructive criticism of a device I own. I like the idea of a list of suggestions for improvements but I'm also loving my TREO but in another thread I was reading something about build quality or lack of in the TREO 650. I disagree with that and the only thing I do hope for is some kind of minor foam for the back of the battery case so it does not rattle or seem loose. This is an easy mod I hope to see Pa1mOne issue in the same way Apple issued these for PowerBooks a decade ago.

I find that on a board like this, those with agendas will rip apart a product especially if they have NOT purchased it nor have upgraded TO it. I have had my issues with this device (outgoing sound quality) but have always admitted on here and in person to others that I love it and wanted it to work. It's working now and I voted "hell yea".

I liked my i300 which I think was way ahead of the curve. I liked all of my TREO 300's even when they broke. But I feel the 650 is more inviting to fully utilize to the user's and device's potential.

Thanks

Mike
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12