1.    #1  
    Don't install many apps...

I haven't reset my Treo in days and it's because I've streamlined my applications to only what I need. Even though I still get tempted to try some cool apps for the most part I don't use them anyway. So I know it's obvious but for any newbie Treo/Palm users keep your apps to a minimum and you'll have a more stable Treo. Right now all I have installed is

Directory Assistant
    Mreset(which I haven't needed to use yet thankfully)
    Keygaurd Time
    Led Off
    Pocket Tunes
    Phone Technician

Can't wait for my PPC, EVDO, megapix cam, antenna free, 3.5 audio jack and qwerty keyboard device. Whenever that will be...
    Last edited by juice; 04/18/2005 at 07:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    lol i have about 80 apps on mine using z launcher and most on the 1gig card, with 14.7 in ram with multiple mail apps and i have very little resets, the only reset i get is when i get new mail notification and the little star in the left corner blinks, when i hold the center button down on the 5 way i get a soft reset, thats all. I use adgendus, snapper mail, versamail, have lots of other stuff as well. I dont understand why so many people have probs. Im on my FIRST and only 650 purchased in dec 04 sprint model with the 1.08 upgrade.

Hmmm go figure i got a great one!
    mt
    i also really experience very sporadic resets only using verichat (and they always address the problem with a quick update!). i have a ton of other apps running in addition.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgmt
    lol i have about 80 apps on mine using z launcher and most on the 1gig card, with 14.7 in ram with multiple mail apps and i have very little resets, the only reset i get is when i get new mail notification and the little star in the left corner blinks, when i hold the center button down on the 5 way i get a soft reset, thats all. I use adgendus, snapper mail, versamail, have lots of other stuff as well.
    mt
    You don't get resets on SMS with Agendus? I tried using it for a week and every freaking SMS I got the Palm would reset and I'd lose the SMS. And I was using the latest Agendus too.
    Well that's just great news/advice!!!! Buy a Treo and don't put any applications on it. I can't think of a better way to get your money's worth.

Come on!!! I've got over 50 apps ranging from a small IP subnet calculator to FileMaker Mobile and get no resets whatsoever.
    The advice is perfectly sound captain. What juice said was "don't install MANY apps" if you're a Treo newbie and want to remain relatively reset free. The truth is that the VAST majority of problems reported here are caused by some combination of 3rd party app conflicts and corrupt files left over from previous app install/crash/delete.

If you're a more experienced user and can discern between stable/reliable apps and those that aren't and get away with having scores of them on your device, good for you. But don't hack on the advice for those less experienced.

Ivory...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory
    The advice is perfectly sound captain. What juice said was "don't install MANY apps" if you're a Treo newbie and want to remain relatively reset free. The truth is that the VAST majority of problems reported here are caused by some combination of 3rd party app conflicts and corrupt files left over from previous app install/crash/delete.

If you're a more experienced user and can discern between stable/reliable apps and those that aren't and get away with having scores of them on your device, good for you. But don't hack on the advice for those less experienced.

Ivory...
    Sorry Ivory, but I just got my first Treo/Palm 2 months ago. So I guess that would make me a "newbie"...a newbie with lots of apps and no resets at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    You don't get resets on SMS with Agendus? I tried using it for a week and every freaking SMS I got the Palm would reset and I'd lose the SMS. And I was using the latest Agendus too.
    Iambic fixed this like 2 .x revs ago. Don't understand why you still have this problem. I am using 9.03 with no SMS related problems (others, yes, but nothing to do with SMS).
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    The thing that made most of my resets disappear AND freed up quite a bit of memory (got rid of a lot of old unneeded files I assume) was building from scratch. I originally synch'ed from my T600 and constantly had to move to things to my SD card. After rebuilding from scratch I have ~13MB free and very few resets.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    My T650 had been stable since purchasing it in November. Just before the firmware update, I began to get upwards of 10 resets a day. While the phone was stable, ANY third-party application would cause Memory Under-chunk errors. I tried downgrading, and upgrading to customized ROMs along the way, to no avail.

I brought the unit to the Sprint store, and the tech deemed that nothing was wrong, after running 'diagnostics' (after I'd done a hard reset). The resets continued once installing my first app. Fortunately, I got a nice tier-2 tech on the phone, and he confirmed that there was a RAM (hardware) issue. I'm waiting for my replacement to arrive.

I'd be interested in knowing whether anyone has had a similar experience.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    Iambic fixed this like 2 .x revs ago. Don't understand why you still have this problem. I am using 9.03 with no SMS related problems (others, yes, but nothing to do with SMS).
    yes correct there was some issues but iambic solved them with the update chk it out like he said works great!
    mt
    I have to go with those who say go easy on the apps. The available memory is already low, although no one wants to admit it. I personally don't plan on adding anything other than what I need. Exception might be if you're running most off the SD card. Also, I'd say make sure the apps aren't beta, but fully tested.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chunk
    Well that's just great news/advice!!!! Buy a Treo and don't put any applications on it. I can't think of a better way to get your money's worth.
    I know isn't it a shame. But to be fair if I load up my PPC with many apps it gets unstable too. Take the good with the bad. I probably should have rephrased my post to something more like.

Try loading up your Palm with whatever apps and after you hard reset numerous times to figure out which combination of apps will be stable you'll be ok...
    In the Windows world, if someone has random reboots they try and figure out what they installed last and check for conflicts. If the app is found to be the cause they blame the maker of that application. With the Treo it seems folks install stuff, start having reboots and suddenly want to blame P1 . P1 didn't make the faulty app that can't work with the new device properly.

Maybe P1 needs a "Treo Certified" stamp like the "Windows XP Certified" apps? But that would require more app makers having a pre-released Treo to work with. Given how P1 (and esepcially the service providers) hate leaks I don't know how doable this is.
    Palm has a certified developer program. You'd be surprised what percentage of apps we hold near and dear to our heart are NOT Palm certified.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Palm has a certified developer program. You'd be surprised what percentage of apps we hold near and dear to our heart are NOT Palm certified.
    Maybe when helping folks in the future we should ask them "are all the apps on your T650 P1 certified?" . That might help folks realize an application might be causing their problems and encorage more use of the certification program. If customers start demanding it then more developers will join it.
    I agree in principle, but the fact is as long as people are willing to develop hacks and freeware in response to customer demand and/or PalmOne incompetence, these things will flourish. I hope the PalmOS matures enough to a point where it is robust enough to withstand misbehaving apps, like a protected mode. In the meantime, we keep dispensing common sense and hoping people take responsibility for their actions when loading up their Treo with the latest screen saver....
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Jumping in a little late here, but...

I think the key isn't limiting the number of apps, it's limiting the apps that like to run background tasks. For example, I use verichat, but always-on mode is off. If I want to chat, I have to stay in verichat. Email auto-check is off. I check it manually by running Snapper and triggering a check. PocketTunes background play is also off.

Yeah, it's limiting, but PalmOS 5 has no memory protection. The *second* I turn on background tasks, my 650 falls apart. With everything off, it's pretty solid.

Just my $.02
    Captain,

"If you're a newbie and want to remain reset free go light on apps."

and

"I am a newbie with lots of apps and no resets."

are not mutually exclusive statements. Just because installing lots of questionable apps has a decent chance of causing problems, doesn't mean that it will cause problems in every case.

Debate teaches that example is a useless way to prove a point because you can almost always find an example that proves or disproves any statement. Good for you that you're stable, enjoy. But don't steer others down that path with the false sense of security that because you did it, it must work for everyone and every app combo.

Ivory...
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    mtgmt,
    I tried to PM you but your inbox is full....

Is that the boxwave skin that you have in the pic?

If so, how do you like it? Does the belt clip hold well with the rubber back?

Thanks
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro