1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have two 256mb SD cards and am cursed with having iTunes. I do not want to pay bank for an iPod when I have 500mb of card space and a perfect 600. Is there an app I can buy to make this possible since the songs are in Apple's damn format?

-Nick
    I think the only thing you can do with aac files is burn them onto a CD and then rip them off the CD with a program that let's you use mp3 format or ogg.

I use Musicmatch. There are lots of others. Do a search here.
    Any songs you ripped from your own CDs can be converted in itunes to mp3 format. Go to prefs for import and set to mp3. Select songs you want to convert and select Advanced -> Convert selection to MP3

If you bought these from itunes store you need to brun CD and re-import as mp3.
    You probably don't need to waste CDs by actually burning them. iTunes converts the files from AAC to WAV format before burning, if you use a virtual CD program as your "burner", you can probably re-convert them back to MP3 without using a CD.

This is one example of such a program, there are others:
    http://www.virtualcd-online.com/

Let us know how it works.. I think many people have this same issue.

cheers,

John
    OK, tried to figure it out but it looks like others have done it already...

http://easilyamusing.com/Comments.asp?BlogID=2632

enjoy (but don't steal music!!)

cheers,

John
    No need to rip anything, however if these are tunes you purchased from the iTunes music store you can't convert them to other formats from within iTunes.

If you use JHymn to remove the DRM and you can then convert the songs to any format you wish from within iTunes.

http://www.hymn-project.org/jhymndoc/
    The problem with jhymn is that the next version of iTunes breaks these un-DRM'd songs. So unless you kept the original, you're up the proverbial creek.

Burning and ripping is a permanent solution to rid yourself of the DRM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    The problem with jhymn is that the next version of iTunes breaks these un-DRM'd songs. So unless you kept the original, you're up the proverbial creek.

Burning and ripping is a permanent solution to rid yourself of the DRM.
    I'm not sure what "next version of iTunes" you are referring to but I have been using it and it predecessor for nearly 2 years and have never had a problem. There was a problem with iTunes version 4.7.1 that lasted about 3 days before the unidentified "atom" was found.
    Regardless, JHymn automatically makes a back up of your original provided you READ THE HELP FILES that come with it. Further, Jhymn only resamples your audio files once while burning to CD is a minimum of twice, once for the burn and once for the re-rip.
    Last edited by InfiniteWill; 04/17/2005 at 06:34 PM.
    It's been a while, and it was a previous version (only called Hymn at the time). Yeah, it was again "fixed" with another version of the software, but I'm not interested in a back and forth between apple and a thir party where one keeps topping the other.

I'm no audiophile, and with mp3s at 96 kbps on the Treo, losing a little bit of quality isn't going to make a bit of difference, especially when I know I'll never have to worry about DRM again with the new .mp3 (with no tracking tags, or any remnance of the DRM).
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    It's been a while, and it was a previous version (only called Hymn at the time). Yeah, it was again "fixed" with another version of the software, but I'm not interested in a back and forth between apple and a thir party where one keeps topping the other.

I'm no audiophile, and with mp3s at 96 kbps on the Treo, losing a little bit of quality isn't going to make a bit of difference, especially when I know I'll never have to worry about DRM again with the new .mp3 (with no tracking tags, or any remnance of the DRM).
    Can't disagree about 96kb being pretty distructive, is that the max for PTunes? I was merely looking at it from the time (burning and reripping a CD) and cost (wasting Blank CD's) when I can use JHymn. I agree about "hidden" might screw things up in the future which is why I always preserve the original.
    96 is a good balance between quality and size for me.

I use CD-RWs, so my only cost is time. And to burn/rip a CD probably takes a total of 15 minutes, about 3 or 4 of which I have to actively click buttons and whatnot. The rest is in the background.