Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Your Treo has more RAM than the entire American military in WW II.... who cares? In 2005 21MB of usable memory doesn't go very far. I'm also realizing the audience here, talking mostly about playing movies on their PDA and finding that there is plenty of memory to do this so what else do you need?

Using Mapopolis or the PDA for any serious set of business applications really renders the Treo 650 a hassle unfortunately. I'm happy for many of you that you (or your parents) can buy you new phones every six months.

My main issue was on build quality. I'm obviously not going to get an unbiased discussion here with the exception of a few, especially given the ludicrous comments about how the RAM is more than enough. Enjoy watching your movies.
    Clearly you're not looking for unbiased opinions - but rather only opinions that agree with your point of view. If you were looking for unbiased opinions, you wouldn't immediately discount all the opinions that are positive about the Treo. I assume by unbiased you mean honest opinions - or is just honest negative opinions?
    Your Treo has more RAM than the entire American military in WW II.... who cares? In 2005 21MB of usable memory doesn't go very far. I'm also realizing the audience here, talking mostly about playing movies on their PDA and finding that there is plenty of memory to do this so what else do you need?

Using Mapopolis or the PDA for any serious set of business applications really renders the Treo 650 a hassle unfortunately. I'm happy for many of you that you (or your parents) can buy you new phones every six months.

My main issue was on build quality. I'm obviously not going to get an unbiased discussion here with the exception of a few, especially given the ludicrous comments about how the RAM is more than enough. Enjoy watching your movies.
    As far as the ram goes, yeah it's an inconvenience, but if you have PowerRUN it's a non issue. I think that app costs $15. I have my 2gb sd card completely filled and have a ton of apps loaded. PowerRUN says I have 22.3mb of memory left. I think the point some people are trying to make is that if you have some brain capacity it's not too difficult to work around the limitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Clearly you're not looking for unbiased opinions - but rather only opinions that agree with your point of view.
    I have to agree with this comment. My unbiased opinion is that the 650 has enough RAM for most typical circumstances, including most power users. Sure, more RAM would have been nice, but even with 64 or 128MB, someone's still bound to say "there ain't enough RAM".
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    ...Using Mapopolis or the PDA for any serious set of business applications really renders the Treo 650 a hassle unfortunately. I'm happy for many of you that you (or your parents) can buy you new phones every six months...
    ahhhh, we get to the heart of the issue. Since mapopolis is a hog, the treo is insufficient.

For the record, the last gadget my parents bought me was my 128K Mac, which I swore would be the last computer I ever needed - cost something like $3k.

So how is that relevant to this discussion, well, I ran every app with 128K. Since RAM is now alledgedly cheap, the same blame laid at the feet of the device provider can/should be laid at the feet od the app developer. They used to make this stuff run with 128K, let alone 32,000K (or there about, don't everybody start correcting my math).

This is a good audience, just not one that will fall for a shallow argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    The 650's 5-way has an inferior shape in the "down" direction in comparison to the 600, making it harder for my thumb to press, but that is a design issue. A quality issue with it is that the 650's 5-way feels very different (and weird) when pressing each side. Left and up feel fine. Right side feels soft and sticky, and down has a very short travel.
    My up button has a very short travel. I take it the 5-ways aren't all built equal?
    If you read these forums, it's clear that there are FAR fewer problems with the 650 hardware than the 600. Reports of people taking their 600s back for replacement 2, 3 even 4 times seemed commonplace. Not so with the 650. And there seem to be far fewer complaints from people who had to return their 650 even once, compared to the 600.

There may be design issues people don't care for in the 650, but the build quality and reliability is plainly better.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    If you read these forums, it's clear that there are FAR fewer problems with the 650 hardware than the 600. Reports of people taking their 600s back for replacement 2, 3 even 4 times seemed commonplace. Not so with the 650. And there seem to be far fewer complaints from people who had to return their 650 even once, compared to the 600.

There may be design issues people don't care for in the 650, but the build quality and reliability is plainly better.
    Hardware: Agreed, the hardware (sans the idiotic memory issue) is magnificent, but since it is so similar to the 600, in function and button type, it would be moronic not to get it right the 2nd time around, right?

Software: Speaking of moronic... PalmOne has certainly raised the bar, truly set a record for the worst backward step in software and firmware in an upgraded unit (600 to the 650) that the high tech world has ever seen. They had so many great stepping stones to build off of from the Treo 600. It is almost inconceivable how badly they have performed here.

Again... Hardware, wonderful... but that software? Arrrgghhhh.
    I had many 650's in my hand. believe me - each one is different - sharper/unsharper camera, crispier/not so crispy keyboard ... go figure. but am sure: the longer the assembly lines run the "more same" the pieces turn out.

a responsible P1 manager here in asia told me that they had far far fewer hardware issues with the 650 than with the predecessor. at least.
    I turned in my somewhat stiff 5-way and kinda iffy "p" key and got a new one.

I'd like to confirm what beel is saying above. Each Treo is built differently. Some better than others. If you're anal-retentive about $600 purchases, this matters (I spent full retail which is a huge part of the motivation to get the best one I can get).

The new one I have... the LCD screen is ever so slightly off kilter (doesn't line up perfectly straight with the border). Bugs me a bit, but really, I don't care. It works fine for now.

Overall, definitely not impressed with the build quality. Wish finally assembly was done in Japan and not Taiwan.
    I like my Treo 650...a lot actually! One small complaint regarding quality. The bottom portion of my 5 way rocker wheel is starting to show wear and tear around the upper edge. Maybe my fingernails are too sharp...who knows? The rest of my T650 is fine otherwise. I'm afraid it may start to get progressively worse. I've even tried putting on some super glue around the edge, but this wore off. Even tried using clear nail polish, but this wore off too. Is it possible to replace the 5 way rocker wheel?
    All arguing aside...how is the fact that the Treo650 has 32 MB of ram a build quality issue? A design flaw (or oversight) maybe, but build quality? Is it fragile? Does it break frequently? This seems to be the crux of your argument.

Bash the device and company all you like...it's your prerogative, but please keep your facts straight. You might find that if you argue intelligently, you can have an intelligent argument....but what do I know, I'm sure in your eyes I'm just another PalmOne kool-aid drinker...
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I bought my 650 at the local Sprint store in March for full retail. It had been working perfectly up until this past Saturday when the touch screen quit responding to input. It still worked fine if you used the 5 way and keyboard but the touch screen is a huge reason to have the thing in the first place.

I took it into the Sprint store yesterday and they said they had to "order" me a replacement unit even though they had new ones in the box at the store. It won't be here until Wednesday afternoon! On top of that, the tech did a hard reset to try and get the screen to function again and now I can't get past the initial setup screen where you have to tap it with the stylus.

After a few months of getting very used to having my Treo at all times, 3 days seems like an eternity
    Quote Originally Posted by bebrewer
    I bought my 650 at the local Sprint store in March for full retail. It had been working perfectly up until this past Saturday when the touch screen quit responding to input. It still worked fine if you used the 5 way and keyboard but the touch screen is a huge reason to have the thing in the first place.

I took it into the Sprint store yesterday and they said they had to "order" me a replacement unit even though they had new ones in the box at the store. It won't be here until Wednesday afternoon! On top of that, the tech did a hard reset to try and get the screen to function again and now I can't get past the initial setup screen where you have to tap it with the stylus.

After a few months of getting very used to having my Treo at all times, 3 days seems like an eternity
    Wow, I would have insisted on the new one after they hard reset it...I'd never leave without at least a functioning phone.

Gotta stand up for yourself with the CSR's otherwise they abuse the heck out of you.
    - Albert Einstein
    Checked out about 7 brand new, fresh out of the box Treo 650s at the Sprint store... all of them had screens that were slightly misaligned.
    Quote Originally Posted by BENJMNS
    Checked out about 7 brand new, fresh out of the box Treo 650s at the Sprint store... all of them had screens that were slightly misaligned.

How?
    - Albert Einstein
    Just check the edge of your LCD screen and see if it runs truly parallel to the actual screen edge of the body. It's very subtle, but noticeable. Not a deal breaker, but could be an annoyance.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BENJMNS
    Just check the edge of your LCD screen and see if it runs truly parallel to the actual screen edge of the body. It's very subtle, but noticeable. Not a deal breaker, but could be an annoyance.
    misaligned by what standard ?

If they are all misaligned in the same way by the same amount, maybe the expectation is misaligned. If I remember correctly, the 600 had this issue. It may be based on how the screen is designed.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Just to update this thread, ironically I did get a 650 as I was upgraded for free. Here are my conclusions regarding the hardware:

1) Build quality is quite good and similar to the 600. It feels lighter and I'm not sure if the material is different but it is comparable - I think the cheap side buttons and floppier keyboard (not necessarily a bad thing) make it appear worse than it is.

2) The plastic buttons on the left side are pitiful. They are easily pressed by accident or anything else (including your case.) I have no idea why they were changed. The rocker switch is not so comfortable to press and feel like you are pressing the right button. A bad downward step for the sake of style and it doesn't look good. Not a dealbreaker, just an observation.

3) The placement of the microphone on the bottom of the phone is better than it was before but probably best in the front (easier to put on a case.)

4) The keyboard buttons are a little floppier and perhaps a bit easier to type. I think they will last despite their seemingly flimsier initial feeling. They may be better than the 600.

5) The new accessories that one has to buy (why, why???) are horrible. They are all "yank out" types without any buttons to safely remove the adapater from being stuck into the phone. They are accessories waiting to break and be replaced. Pathetic.

6) The speaker and volume are noticeably worse even though they look the same.

7) 5 way switch is slightly inferior.

8) The 32MB or RAM is what it pathetically is. No true workaround and I'm making do with what I have (and using realaudio in ROM as the MP3 player to save space and dumping my favorite player...)

Overall I'd say that the build quality is similar and comparable after having the phone for a while. Other than the memory issue, the overall build is an acceptable upgrade sans the accessories.

What really irks me is the way the software and placement of buttons now. Making the right telephone button both a "turn on network" and a "hang up" call button has me hanging up on people accidentally regularly when I try to revive the backlight to see something. Shortcuts are now not shortcuts and require extra keypresses to do anything.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    So if i read this right, about a month ago you hated it because of poor build quality (vs the 600) in your opinion. Now you think it's similar roughly a month later.

Give it another month. You should love it by then.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast