Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Pabo - your post is a shining example of what I talk about rambling facts that bear no relation to the real issue....
    I like being a shining example.

... RAM is an essential in the phone, no matter which way you slice it and dice it....
    give the young man a gold star. RAM is essential and the Treo ships with sufficient RAM for all native apps to function effectively. Next question...

...I wondered how other Treo 650 owners felt about the build quality but from the responses here it's clear I'm only able to get truthful answers from about 25%...
    just for the record, those of us who disagree with an assessment you derived after 15 minutes of inspection of a retail store demo that was probably build 0.5 are now not telling the truth ? Uhhhhhh, maybe we just like the thing...

...I saw some new phones coming out in the future...
    I'll just let that one work its own magic....
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    just for the record, those of us who disagree with an assessment you derived after 15 minutes of inspection of a retail store demo that was probably build 0.5 are now not telling the truth ? Uhhhhhh, maybe we just like the thing...
    Actually I did the same thing Slinky did. I only tested the 6600 for a few minutes and just knew it might not be compatible with me. Maybe he knows what he wants, just like I know what I want. However, I just can't agree with him. Thanks to a 2nd visit to another Sprint store, I'm now considering maybe a 2nd Treo 650, instead of getting a PPC as the 2nd phone like I planned before. The 2nd PPC 6600 I saw today was just plain broken, making me wonder about durablity even more than the 1st time. No broken Treo 650s on display in either store, and I bet you they got handled just as much.

Sorry Slinky, but I still have to disagree with you about questionable build quality of the 650.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    ...The 2nd PPC 6600 I saw today was just plain broken, making me wonder about durablity ...

that's a valuable / valid observation ....
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    give the young man a gold star. RAM is essential and the Treo ships with sufficient RAM for all native apps to function effectively. Next question...
    Being a smart-a$$ is no way to go through life, son. The Treo could then ship with 16 MB of RAM too and still be enough to run native applications... too bad you can't store much of anything. Plus let us not forget how many items store files permanently in RAM rather than on a card. Oh yes, there is also the browser cache, your own internal databases that are stored for contacts, etc.

I guess you are a good example of keeping the buffoons happy. Put a Game Boy into the phone and you're convincing everyone what a great phone it is.

For the rest of you, instead of thanking Palm for making extra money off you by providing an inadequate amount of RAM, let them know (and their "marketing people" who may read or perform surveys) that you are extremely unhappy with the 32 MB of RAM that they put into the phone. Perhaps next time you will have less essential corners cut. If you don't let Palm know that you will have no customer loyalty and will move elsehwere, you'll continue to get shortchanged.

And anyone who tells you that putting 32 MB of RAM into a new PDA phone in 2004 and 2005 is sufficient isn't being honest with you and/or themselves and their opinion is not credible.
    Being a smart-a$$ is no way to go through life, son.

in your opinion. I for one think being a smart a$$ is the only way to go through life, son.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Actually I did the same thing Slinky did. I only tested the 6600 for a few minutes and just knew it might not be compatible with me. Maybe he knows what he wants, just like I know what I want. However, I just can't agree with him. Thanks to a 2nd visit to another Sprint store, I'm now considering maybe a 2nd Treo 650, instead of getting a PPC as the 2nd phone like I planned before. The 2nd PPC 6600 I saw today was just plain broken, making me wonder about durablity even more than the 1st time. No broken Treo 650s on display in either store, and I bet you they got handled just as much.

Sorry Slinky, but I still have to disagree with you about questionable build quality of the 650.
    I hope I'm wrong. I went in again today and those cheap plastic rocker buttons on the side really make me wonder. We'll see what the numbers are like eventually.

I'm glad that you did a checkup on the PPC 6600. I've always thought of Audiovox as the "Coby" of mobile phones.

I'm wondering when we'll see a PPC phone that is the Treo form factor. While I've been a Palm user since IIIx, I'm there if it's reasonably built and has reasonable performance. Some of the software is killin...
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    in your opinion. I for one think being a smart a$$ is the only way to go through life, son.
    Better to be a smarts$$ than a dumbf... you get the idea, pops!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Being a smart-a$$ is no way to go through life, son. The Treo could then ship with 16 MB of RAM too and still be enough to run native applications... too bad you can't store much of anything. Plus let us not forget how many items store files permanently in RAM rather than on a card. Oh yes, there is also the browser cache, your own internal databases that are stored for contacts, etc.

I guess you are a good example of keeping the buffoons happy. Put a Game Boy into the phone and you're convincing everyone what a great phone it is.

For the rest of you, instead of thanking Palm for making extra money off you by providing an inadequate amount of RAM, let them know (and their "marketing people" who may read or perform surveys) that you are extremely unhappy with the 32 MB of RAM that they put into the phone. Perhaps next time you will have less essential corners cut. If you don't let Palm know that you will have no customer loyalty and will move elsehwere, you'll continue to get shortchanged.

And anyone who tells you that putting 32 MB of RAM into a new PDA phone in 2004 and 2005 is sufficient isn't being honest with you and/or themselves and their opinion is not credible.
    Wow - so the fact that I have all the programs I desire loaded, am very happy with the way the Treo 650 functions and I still have nearly 16 Meg available has no bearing on whether or not there is enough RAM in the unit...........you know what they say, ignorance in bliss.....
    I bought my Treo 650 two weeks ago and am enjoying it very much...despite the negative post and bashing about the memory I've read for three months. My previous phone was the Sony Ericsson 910i and the only thing that I miss from it is the craftmanship of the case (that blocky rugged format). But since most of us throw our Treo inside a cover makes that whole point moot. Do I miss the 64MB of internal memory? Nah...I never have enough programs running to make it crash. Do I miss the "other" programs. No. Palm has by far the best programs in the Smart phone circle. Symbian OS phones are sluggish and feels very Java like. Also, the main appeal for non Treo users is the form factor. Even though the 910i had a flippable QWERTY keyboard, I never use more than 300 of the 1000 messages that is in my plan. But with Treo 650, I actually went over my plan and I started getting billed a nickel each! That's chump change but I thought that would never happened. I credit that to the ease of texting (sms or email) on the Treo. Excuse this rant but after two weeks of use, the pros of the Treo by far outweighs the cons.

What I don't understand Slinky is why you continue to bash the 650. State your opinion and be done with it.
    ...And anyone who tells you that putting 32 MB of RAM into a new PDA phone in 2004 and 2005 is sufficient isn't being honest with you and/or themselves and their opinion is not credible.
    I just moved eReader and SiEd to the card just for grins, and I now have 13.8MB free. Click on the link in my sig to see the laundry list (read - LONG LIST) of apps I have loaded.

But, what the heck, I'm a dishonest fool with no credibility, right?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    I just moved eReader and SiEd to the card just for grins, and I now have 13.8MB free. Click on the link in my sig to see the laundry list (read - LONG LIST) of apps I have loaded.

But, what the heck, I'm a dishonest fool with no credibility, right?
    None whatsoever Z....

The overwhelming reason apparently is that you are a "smart" user. (or "power", but I prefer smart). You work to make your Treo work for you. It is "supposed" to work out of the box. It should slice, dice and wipe your **** without any effort on your part.

The fact that you knew what you were getting into is also irrelavent.

ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Bwhahahahahaha. I tried the **** wiping feature but the Treo soft-reset in the middle of the action. It was not a pretty sight...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I guess you are a good example of keeping the buffoons happy...
    tsk, tsk, tsk - now I am a shining bufoon. When your argument lacks credibility, you can always result to insults.

I never understood why folks who have no stake in an argument (translated - don't own a 650) get so adamant about convincing the rest of us we're shining bufoons for just havin' fun.

Slink, son, you have yet to provide an argument as good as Treo Lady's insight that a PPC demo was already busted. I added the "son" part because that seems to get you revved up....
    Bwhahahahahaha. I tried the **** wiping feature but the Treo soft-reset in the middle of the action. It was not a pretty sight...
    Ouch! That's gotta sting!

Take care, Z... you're ok in my book!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

I hope I'm wrong. I went in again today and those cheap plastic rocker buttons on the side really make me wonder. We'll see what the numbers are like eventually.

I'm glad that you did a checkup on the PPC 6600. I've always thought of Audiovox as the "Coby" of mobile phones.

I'm wondering when we'll see a PPC phone that is the Treo form factor. While I've been a Palm user since IIIx, I'm there if it's reasonably built and has reasonable performance. Some of the software is killin...
    My dad's a plastics chemist. I let him know what you said and he thinks you wouldn't know cheap plastic from a cheap hole in the wall. Without cheap plastic, you wouldn't be typing away at your keyboard, now would you?

ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

I just moved eReader and SiEd to the card just for grins, and I now have 13.8MB free. Click on the link in my sig to see the laundry list (read - LONG LIST) of apps I have loaded....
    I moved them back into RAM. I was bored. Now I only have 12.8MB left. I dont know what I am going to do. 12.8MB after loading all my apps is just not enough memory. I wanted to watch the Lord of the Rings:Return of the King while listening to Hootie with PTunes in the background while sorting a 10,000 record database while downloading some MP3s from some website. Why can't this piece of garbage do everything I want it to do?????

[The preceding has been a public sarcastic announcement]...
    Cingular Treo 650
    I moved them back into RAM. I was bored. Now I only have 12.8MB left. I dont know what I am going to do. 12.8MB after loading all my apps is just not enough memory. I wanted to watch the Lord of the Rings:Return of the King while listening to Hootie with PTunes in the background while sorting a 10,000 record database while downloading some MP3s from some website. Why can't this piece of garbage do everything I want it to do?????

[The preceding has been a public sarcastic announcement]...
    You wuss...try programming the next Discovery shuttle launch on the thing, then we'll know you're a real geek....
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    You wuss...try programming the next Discovery shuttle launch on the thing, then we'll know you're a real geek....
    Forget a shuttle launch - go for a full lunar mission. The 650 has more computing power than any of the Apollo missions carried, so it should be but a simple task.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Shoot, its got more horsepower than my first 486 based laptop (and a heck of a lot more memory - ram or SD)!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Your Treo has more RAM than the entire American military in WW II.... who cares? In 2005 21MB of usable memory doesn't go very far. I'm also realizing the audience here, talking mostly about playing movies on their PDA and finding that there is plenty of memory to do this so what else do you need?

Using Mapopolis or the PDA for any serious set of business applications really renders the Treo 650 a hassle unfortunately. I'm happy for many of you that you (or your parents) can buy you new phones every six months.

My main issue was on build quality. I'm obviously not going to get an unbiased discussion here with the exception of a few, especially given the ludicrous comments about how the RAM is more than enough. Enjoy watching your movies.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast