Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ssandhaus: I would say the attendant stole them from you, and that whole story about a forgotten items from another leg is BS to cover it up. The reason I think is that my sister had a very similar experience, I think on United, but this time they stole cash and an iPod mini and by a complicated turn of events she actually recognized the flight attendant that did it, with her iPod in hand. She couldn't do anything, and the cash and/or iPod were never returned or reimbursed.

Plus, as someone else said, they are not supposed to simply take items from a seat unless the plane is empty.

I have a special carrying bag I use when I travel, where my mp3 player and Treo go, and it stays clipped to my pants at all times, and keep a close watch on my carry-on backpack.
    i think you are screwed man, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    ssandhaus: I would say the attendant stole them from you, and that whole story about a forgotten items from another leg is BS to cover it up. The reason I think is that my sister had a very similar experience, I think on United, but this time they stole cash and an iPod mini and by a complicated turn of events she actually recognized the flight attendant that did it, with her iPod in hand. She couldn't do anything, and the cash and/or iPod were never returned or reimbursed.

Plus, as someone else said, they are not supposed to simply take items from a seat unless the plane is empty.

I agree that you need to write to the President/CEO ( he or she will have a staff that writes responds to correspondence.

Please indicate "no form letters in response to this personal and important correspondence" when you write to them.

check this out:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000160039150
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000420024071/

Flight attendants come out against lifting inflight cellphone ban

and

FYI unrelated to your case but the "stuff" is hitting the fan this week as well with respect to airline employees and stolen electronics.....

You can do a search for airlines dealing with lost or stolen electronics (mostly stolen)

Baggage Thieves Bagged
    JOE SHARKEY

Published: November 2, 2004

BAGGAGE THIEVES BAGGED After police staged a months-long undercover sting, five baggage handlers at Kennedy Airport were charged last week with stealing laptop computers, cameras, compact discs and cash from the checked bags of passengers, according to the Queens district attorney's office, which estimated the total value of the stolen goods to be $23,000. The baggage handlers who were charged in the thefts were employees of Swissport USA, which transports luggage and cargo from terminals to aircraft. Some of the stolen goods were sold to undercover detectives or on eBay, the online auction house. Since April, about two dozen employees of the Transportation Security Administration have been arrested on charges of stealing from checked bags at six airports.

and

from surfermag.com

Re: Delta
    I did get my digital camera ripped off by a POS baggage handler this Jan. When I called them, they told me that they were not responsible for cameras being stolen from bags that are not carry on. WTF? It's like an open invitation for those guys to steal
    I would have spoken to a manager at Delta, explained the situation, asked for the names of all the gate agents working on that day, at your gate, and during your departure date, and would have contacted them individually.
  5.    #25  
    Thanks for all the words of support and wisdom. I didn't know that nothing was supposed to be removed from the plane after boarding starts. That explains why the one person I got to talk with by calling Delta Customer Care kept asking me, "And this happened AFTER boarding started??" I couldn't figure out why this was so important.

Bad news is I never got the names of the flight attendants! The one who took the phone and iPod (an iPod Photo 60GB with about 4,000 legally acquired songs and books on it) was so confident that all we had to do was go to the gate in Denver and call Cincinnati that I never thought to write it down (note to self. . . etc.). She quickly dissapeared after that. I do have a good description of her though: Medium height, blond, young, pretty. That should help, right?

When I made to the front of the baggage I did ask to speak to a manager. The woman I was talking to said, "I am the manager." So much for that.

The CEO idea sounds good. I had already turned off the phone when I put it in the seat pocket. Still, when I arrived in Denver I did try calling it, in hopes that if it was still in the hands of the gate agent, I might reason with him/her. But the phone jumped immediately to voicemail. My next call was to deactivate the phone, which Sprint did in a hurry and by allowing me to talk with a person. Calling Sprint was one of the only times I actually got to speak with a human being on the phone that day.

The letter I sent to Customer Care at Delta yesterday includes many of the points listed by readers of my sad story. I told them that I considered this theft. I also mentioned that the Delta employee currently listening to my iPod not only has about $450 worth of hardware but also several thousands of dollars of music and audio books that he/she does not have the rights to.

I threatened legal action. I tried to file a police report after getting back to Denver but they won't take a report over the phone and said it is probably not worth flying back to Cincinnati airport to fill out because they may not be able to take a report if I don't know at least one name of a person involved. I told them that Delta could certainly find the name of the one blond flight attendant who was in coach on that particular flight but that wasn't good enough.

I'll keep people here posted when I hear back or, if I don't hear back, after I call the Delta CEO.

Sandy
    Quote Originally Posted by ssandhaus

Bad news is I never got the names of the flight attendants!
    said it is probably not worth flying back to Cincinnati airport to fill out because they may not be able to take a report if I don't know at least one name of a person involved. I told them that Delta could certainly find the name of the one blond flight attendant who was in coach on that particular flight but that wasn't good enough.
    Well I'm sure you know your flight information and probably still have a portion of your ticket. How hard would it be for Delta to look up who was working on that flight? Of course not hard at all.

And yea them collecting stuff after new passengers are on the plane does sound like total B-S. You've been robbed!

Hope you've got a good list of all the music/books that were on the Ipod.

Over $1000 of hardware plus well over $4000 in music and books is worth pursuing more aggressively than a few letters.

You mentioned in your first post:
    The guy in the next seat says that the flight attendant took them.
    Delta would have record of that person too and since seats are assigned no mistake can be made there in tracking down that person.

I think this all has the makings of a great case for you. I mean all the evidence is there. During legal action you could request the details like "who sat next to you and saw the theft" and "the name of the thief". I'm starting to think this is an easy case for you if you are willing to press it.

You might even want to talk with someone that can offer a more qualified opinion right now. Let's be honest, odds are Delta won't do anything and any time you spend waiting may not work to your benefit. Although Delta has to be given an opportunity to respond you should be prepared.

You were robbed and someone witnessed it. Unlike other folks' issues with stuff being stolen someone actually saw it in your case. A 3rd party witness that you did not know, so they have no vested interest in taking sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    O'hare has a very high theft rate. That's where my friend's camera was stolen.

Doesn't surprise me. Maybe the employees will open up a second-hand shop and I can buy my toys back at a good price.
    So I've sent them a bill for the replacement costs of the Treo and the iPod. We'll see if they respond in any way. To add insult to injury, when I purchased my Sprint Treo, they gave me a $100 discount for being a loyal customer (I think that means having my old Sprint phone for over 2 years.) When I replaced it yesterday, they charged me full price. I told them I'd take just the phone (since I still have all the software and accessories) but they said there was no way I could pay less than the $599.99.

That's my story.

Sandy
    I don't think Delta even has the funds these days to reimburse you!
    <br>
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    For those surprised at the airlines not being responsible for electronic items lefted on CHECKED baggage--60 Minutes did a story on this long time ago in which they pointed out the small print on the ticket policies says that the airlines are NOT responsible for electronics, jewelry, cameras, watches, etc. stolen from checked luggage!! The airline CEO whom 60 Minutes was interviewing wasn't even aware of that rule.

I had a friend who lost a camera from checked baggage. He baggered them so much that they finally gave in and paid for a replacement--but it took alot of energy on his part and a few letters to the CEO of the airline and his Congressperson.

NEVER put anything valuable in checked baggage!
    Yes, but notice they keep limiting carry-on size? My friend had no choice. They make it easy to steal, and I'll never understand why they never got reigned in with that loophole!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    You left $ 1000 worth of equipment around? In Miami that would last 10 seconds! Would you leave 10 $ 100 bills while you go to the lavatory? The flight attendant does have the right and perhaps the duty that Treo could be a bomb. Any package left unnatended should be suspect. Remember 9/11? Don't be leaving your stuff around the place!
    Well if the airline destroyed it, they need to say so!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    You may be able to turn on the phone's GPS through Sprint (used for emergency services to find you). Then they can locate your phone...if it ever gets turned on (battery probably dead by now).
    Wow, that's terrible.

Good luck.
    1 | 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    The flight attendant does have the right and perhaps the duty that Treo could be a bomb. Any package left unnatended should be suspect. Remember 9/11? Don't be leaving your stuff around the place!
    He would have had much better luck of the TSA took it. And they would have told him the deal if it was a security related matter. Because he would have been removed from the plan. (Or I hope he would have been!)

I've had my checked bag inspected by the TSA. They left a nice note saying they checked through my stuff. Nothing was taken. But then again I don't check anything in of value other than clothing. (In fact they folded my clothes up in the bag better than I had done myself . I'd like them to check me more often !) Can't say I've heard complaints about TSA folks stealing.

While I respect the security angle that's not why they took his stuff. Plenty more stuff in those overhead compartments could be a bomb. (Personally I'll worry more about 5 Muslim men running to the lavatory at the same time!)

I'm sure the Delta employees (who have always been the major source of theft) use that security angle in some of their pilfering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Geez, useless. You would think they have some system for lost and found items. Sorry to hear that man, I feel for you. If that happened to me I would be
    Ok...so they admit it is their fault but they won't pay.... Bad Form!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Dude. First of all I really, really, really feel for you. Second If that dang Treo had a damn 3.5 audio jack and some decent sound you wouldn't have lost your ipod photo cuz you wouldn't need one. Third you already covered what I said to do. File a poice report for theft. Dude it might be worth a trip to Cinci. Hey I'm only 4 hours away. Can I file it for you. I would do anything to catch a Treo thief... ****er.
    Please keep us posted!
    Sorry to hear about your losses I hope you get them back somehow.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I tried to file a police report after getting back to Denver but they won't take a report over the phone and said it is probably not worth flying back to Cincinnati airport to fill out because they may not be able to take a report if I don't know at least one name of a person involved.

that's a little odd - so if your purse was stolen as you boarded a plane you would have to fly back to the city to file a report ?? sounds like you got someone who doesn't want to do the paperwork - maybe call back on another day and try again...

as for the phone - is sprint aware it was stolen ? they can flag the ESN as stolen or fraudulent and will refuse to activate that phone again. If a police report is involved, they may even report the individual who attempts to activate it - call and ask for the fraud department for help on this.

You'd be surprised with the response you might get from the CEO's office. Just be persistent. One tip - sometimes the operators will not put you thru to the CEO's office but to a CS loop. Wait until about 6pm or 7pm and call back, use the dial by name feature and call the CEO's office directly. Sounds too easy, but you'd be surprised how easy it actually is....
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    I don't think Delta even has the funds these days to reimburse you!

LOL, good point!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast