1.    #1  
    I'm very close to being in a position to buy a Treo 650 and replace my Tungsten T and Ericsson T39. After reading this forum for about a month it seems that there are NO good Treo 650s out there. Everyone is complaining and no one is happy. In fact, after reading the many threads here it's hard to believe that the 650 is still for sale and that Palm hasn't taken them all back. Between resets and low volume alone it sounds like the darn thing is unuseable.

So really, is it a good idea to send $700 to Palm? Is it just that people that have trouble post here and everyone else that has a good 650 doesn't bother?

Norman
    Quote Originally Posted by pcboy70
    So really, is it a good idea to send $700 to Palm? Is it just that people that have trouble post here and everyone else that has a good 650 doesn't bother?

Norman
    You've basically answered your own question. People don't normally post on a board, "Today I opened Contacts, and it works!!!"

It's not perfect, don't get me wrong, but what little problems I currently have are insignificant to me.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Which forum have you been reading LATELY? There are a number of polls that show the majority of the TC population is Very Happy with their 650. My answer is YES, buy the 650! ;-)
    Actually, if you look at most of the polls and posts lately you'd learn that many people love their treos. I've had mine for several months and never once had a problem that I didn't cause.
    ...After reading this forum for about a month it seems that there are NO good Treo 650s out there. Everyone is complaining and no one is happy. In fact, after reading the many threads here it's hard to believe that the 650 is still for sale and that Palm hasn't taken them all back....
    That's what happens when you read SOME of the threads and have selective memory.

Listen, two things - first, when you use words like "everyone" is complaining, "no one" is happy, etc., your post loses a bit of steam, not to mention irk some people (like me). I am not complaining, and I am happy, so there. You can alternatively use "almost everyone" and "almost no one", which would also be untrue but not as obvious.

Second, you come to a discussion board where the majority of people come to discuss their problems. How many active posters do you think are in this board? 100? 200? 1000? Now, how many Treos do you think PalmOne sold in the first SIXTY SECONDS of the thing going up for sale? About ten times that. Board users make us a very, very, very, very small percentage of Treo users overall, and even here not "everyone" is complaining.

/rant on

If you are so easily influenced by what you read in the boards, I honestly and sincerely suggest you keep your current setup, because a Treo 650 is going to make you very unhappy. It doesn't have enough memory, it resets all the time, NVFS is crap, the battery causes resets, the screen is this, the case is that, the stylus comes out, etc. etc. etc. The list of whines and complaints is endless. Save yourself grief and possible therapy, and stick to paper, pencil and an abacus.

/rant off.

Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Save yourself grief and possible therapy, and stick to paper, pencil and an abacus.
    Even a pencil needs sharpened!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The pencil tip breaks off, the writing is too dark, the writing is too light, the eraser smudges the paper, I hate yellow.... I guess I can whine about anything!!!!
    Cingular Treo 650
    I have the unlocked PalmOne version. I love, have almost no issues, and know plenty of other people that love theirs/no issues.
    Yes, earpiece volume is a litte low (lower than the 600,) but still plenty loud enough under normal noise conditions.
    Yes, the memory is a little inefficient, only a problem if you want to load it up with a TON of crap. I've got a lot on mine and still have room to spare.
    Both issues have been improved on the Cingular update an will be soon on the unlocked version.
    If it sucks, return it for a refund. But know that the perception that everyone is unhappy very exagerated.
    I'm very very pleased, and I think the 650 has less bugs/issues than the 600, which is only the two I just mentioned. It's not perfect, but it's still very good and worth it.
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/16/2005 at 12:07 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I must say that I've been mostly unhappy with the Treo 650. The Unbranded GSM volume problem esentially makes the phone unusable in any location other than a quiet room. Not outside, not in a store, not in the airport.

Aside from that, the unit seems to be relitively stable for me. Versamail isn't quite what it should be - but such is life. There are a lot of positives about it, but not being able to use it for one of it's main functions makes me forget all those other wonderful things.

The Sprint phones don't seem to have this problem - so maybe if you're a Sprint customer, the phone would turn out to be the best thing you've ever purchased.

With the Treo 600, I told anybody and everybody about how fantastic the device was. With the Treo 650, I wouldn't reccommend it to anybody in it's current state. And trust me - I *want* to show it off.

So - like somebody else said. Maybe try it. Just make sure you have the option to return it for 100% of your money back in the case that you are unsatisfied.

Just my two cents.

Ryan
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    If, in first 30 days, you have a bum Treo 650, just return it. I did -- my new Treo 650 works great.
    I'm very close to being in a position to buy a Treo 650 and replace my Tungsten T and Ericsson T39. After reading this forum for about a month it seems that there are NO good Treo 650s out there. Everyone is complaining and no one is happy. In fact, after reading the many threads here it's hard to believe that the 650 is still for sale and that Palm hasn't taken them all back. Between resets and low volume alone it sounds like the darn thing is unuseable.

Norman
    Best device I've ever owned. Could it be a little better refined? Sure, but that's not the end of the world. My basic requirement is this: Find me a phone that runs PalmOS, and out of the box does as much as this one. There are none. Maybe some PPC devices could come close, but as been stated ad nauseum, you'll lose much of your one-handed operability. For the money, there simply is no better device, no matter how much I've *****ed in other threads. I mean look at one of your posters in this thread. MikeC is arguably one of PalmOne's biggest detractors, but he still says buy it, unless he's being facitious, which if that's the case he did a poor job of it.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I must say I am hooked on the Treo system, with its easy access to stocks, weather, news, sms, web, pictures, etc, in it's compact form. Of course though I hate the problems. Nothing else seems to fit the same shoes in terms of function so I guess I am hooked with the tech issues until something else better comes along.......at the moment, nothing compares to it.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  13.    #13  
    Thanks to everyone that put their two cents in. I used "everyone" and "all" because I wanted to make a point and get everyones attention - and apparently I did. I read almost all of the post here (and on other sites) and have been a Palm user since the very first model. I'm not new to Palms or computers in general and have seen many defective units produced by some of the biggest manufacturers. It just struck me as odd that "most" posts here are complaining about things like low volume or multiple resets and how they make the phone "unuseable". Then I read about returning the phone for the fourth time and still not getting one that works. It makes one think that it's a real crap shooot.

As an outsider (one that hasn't bought a 650 yet) it seemed that most people in this community weren't happy. The answeres I got were the biggest selection of positive words I've read here. It's hard to understand why ZBoater has anything to do with the 650 at this point - given how he feels about it.

That said, I will most likely buy a 650 in mid May and hope for the best. I certainly don't expect perfection - buy why shouldn't I? After all, if my refrigerator worked like most 650s here I'd be eating out most of the time.

BTW, I'm well aware that most posters to forums like this aren't happy. Someplace there must be a place were people that are having a positive experience can share that with others.

Norman
    ...It's hard to understand why ZBoater has anything to do with the 650 at this point - given how he feels about it.
    He he he, I was being sarcastic. I have been accused of being Head Palm Apologist for defending the Treo 650 so much. Your post just "got my attention". I am really happy with my Treo. No, really.

That said, I will most likely buy a 650 in mid May and hope for the best. I certainly don't expect perfection - buy why shouldn't I?
    You might want to check out a couple of posts I've made for new Treo users which may give you some ideas and insight into how to approach your Treo experience. Since you are an experienced user you may already know 90% of what is in the threads, but maybe they will help ease your transition a bit.

Newbie Cingular Treo 650 FAQ

Treo 650 Troubleshooting 101

Good luck and hope to see you join the 650 family soon!!!
    Last edited by ZBoater; 04/16/2005 at 05:56 PM.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    "Treo 650 and replace my Tungsten T and Ericsson T39"

I did exactly that two weeks ago, with an unlocked 650. It hasn't been without its flaws (mostly covered above), but I'm glad I switched.
    - pc
    i had a defective t650 at first (the external speaker did not work), but once i got my new one, i am so happy i did.

my treo is the best thing since sliced bread.

(teehee)
    Just got mine through Best Buy PSP. The lady upgraded me for free and just returned the 600. Had it for 3 days. Love it. I think its worh every penny. Sure the sound is a little weaker and might be slower to dial from the contacts list, but the screen and keyboard and speed on the web more than makes up for it and I have also just tried the bluetooth with my 2005 prius and it works great. Still playing and learning but very happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Best device I've ever owned. Could it be a little better refined? Sure, but that's not the end of the world. My basic requirement is this: Find me a phone that runs PalmOS, and out of the box does as much as this one. There are none. Maybe some PPC devices could come close, but as been stated ad nauseum, you'll lose much of your one-handed operability. For the money, there simply is no better device, no matter how much I've *****ed in other threads. I mean look at one of your posters in this thread. MikeC is arguably one of PalmOne's biggest detractors, but he still says buy it, unless he's being facitious, which if that's the case he did a poor job of it.
    Well, since the posted was deleted, we will never know.

I am hardly one of Palm's biggest detractors, I have bought more than 300+ Treos...I am just pushing them to make it worth the premium charged.

I have always been a supporter of you; I see you cheered my banishment. I was abit disheartened, but c'est la vie. Cheering people being banned for no reason other than moderator whim is all good...until they come for you.

And yes, I am serious, I like the 650 and think you should get one if you can get it cheap, and you know what to expect. (everyone can now get off; the pile on is over).