1.    #1  
    Recently, I've been using Versamail for one of my pop accounts just to test it. May have been a mistake. The program works fine; ie, sends, receive, etc. After about a week I decided to delete messages and my problem reared its ugly head. I've read somewhere on here that msg deletions are problematic, but I've read everything I can find and cannot locate my issue.

I've deleted all but 3 messages, one of which if I attempt to open will immediately crash my Treo. I've followed all the instructions I can find regarding deleting the MMIDcachex.pdb files on the Treo and the other msg pdb on my Treo and my backup folder, renaming Versamail folder and including deletion of messages_database.pdb.

After a Hotsync all is fine until I resetup my mail account. When doing this the Treo seems to recognize much of the account setup, which may be okay, but after setup and I perform another hotsync, the 3 messages are again installed on my Treo!

I cannot figure out where they are being stored to cause a reinstall. I suspect somewhere in the Backup folder, but not sure. I thought deleting the messages_database.pdb file on the Treo and in backup would eliminate them, but it doesn't. I've deleted every message related pdb file I can see that would cause this, but to no avail.

I've even setup another pop account, deleted the original account and perform a hotsync and all is fine, the messages are not there. But as soon as I setup the original pop account again and perform another hotsync the 3 messages again reappear.

Can anyone tell me where these messages are being stored so I can delete them permanently?

Thanks
  2.    #2  
    I may have found a clue to this problem if it helps anyone determine a solution for me on this. Using Filez I've located a file that appears to be in ROM. It is MessageStoreLibrary. File type is libr and it has 3 records. I'm not positive that this file is where these messages are located, but I suspect it.

I think I've read that you cannot normally delete files in ROM. The attributes checked on the file are Read Only and Resource DB.

I'm no expert on using Filez or another file manager, but is it possible to unmark the file as Read Only, check Backup; then use a text editor of some kind to edit the file on my desktop after I hotsync?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    You can not delete files from ROM with any file manager program. You can replace the ROM by updating it like the new Sprint 1.08 or with one of Shadowmites ROMS. I would suggest a hard reset if no one else has any ideas. And then restore all your files accept for anything versamail related. The versamail app in ROM will create the files it needs again. I don't believe that it is storing you message ifo that is causing your problem in ROM. But that is just my gut feeling.

I'm not much help, but my post will bump you thread back to the top.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    I don't believe that it is storing you message ifo that is causing your problem in ROM. But that is just my gut feeling.

I'm not much help, but my post will bump you thread back to the top.
    Thanks for your reply. Additional research of mine confirms what you said about removing or changing files in ROM, but I'll be darned if I can figure out where these messages are coming from.

The only way I can keep them from reappearing is not re-setup this pop account. I've even set it up with a different name, but as soon as I select the mail account from the drop down list, do the setup, then sync, they reappear. My Treo is Cingular and the drop down list shows BellSouth, SBC, & Earthlink, all partners of Cingular. It makes me suspect that messages in this version of Versmail are somehow stored in ROM until deleted, which if true is not a good thing.

For the time being I will just keep the app setup since it cannot be removed, but not use it and convert to Snapper Mail, which I've read is a good mail app for the Treo.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Check out the PalmOne Support Knowledge Library at Solution ID: 36541.

Quoting from the article: "VersaMail crashes or resets Treo 650. When you launch or use VersaMail, does your Treo 650 reset or crash? This could be happening because one of your VersaMail databases has become corrupt."
    "Delete the corrupt VersaMail databases. To address this issue, you can remove the corrupt databases from your smartphone. This method works if any of the databases in the instructions below have become corrupted; it may not work if other databases are corrupted."

There's a step-by-step procedure that I used succesfully when I had a problem similar to yours, and further things to try if this doesn't work. Good luck.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by emen8
    Check out the PalmOne Support Knowledge Library at Solution ID: 36541.
    I probably did not make it clear in my original post, but the Palm solution is exactly what I've following (several times) to resolve this issue. However, as I said it does not clear the messages I originally received in that they will reappear when I setup the mail account again.

Versamail is somehow retaining these messages after deleting all the files listed in the solution on both the Treo and the desktop, but I've not figured out how.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by v3treonut
    Versamail is somehow retaining these messages after deleting all the files listed in the solution on both the Treo and the desktop, but I've not figured out how.
    As an added note, I realize that a hard reset will likely resolve this issue, but I've decided not to take that step yet.

My (un)solution for now is just not to use Versamail. The corrupted messages have occurred 3 times even with my limited usage of the app; hence the 3 msgs I cannot delete. So even if I fix it, it's very likely to occur again. I'll just use another email app.
    This happened to me. If you have a corrupt file in any directory, you can read the other directories fine, but when you try to read anything in the directory with the corrupt file, it resets the treo.

The solution I used was when I selected the directory with the corrupt file I immediated did a manual select all followed by erase to get rid of all the files to the trash. Then did the same thing in the trash. You have to be very fast or the reset happens. Once the file is erased all is well.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    The solution I used was when I selected the directory with the corrupt file I immediated did a manual select all followed by erase to get rid of all the files to the trash. Then did the same thing in the trash. You have to be very fast or the reset happens. Once the file is erased all is well.
    I'm not sure if you are referring to using a file manager program like Filez or other or if you're referring to selecting the email message in Versamail and attempting a delete.

Through various trickery, I was finally able to delete 2 of the 3 corrupt messages that are causing Versamail to crash the Treo, but no luck with the 3rd one. The big problem for me is that I cannot find where the message is stored! I'm pretty convinced that it is somehow stored in ROM until it's deleted. I cannot find any other explanantion for it. I've deleted every RAM file that's even related to Versamail on both the Treo (using Filez) and in my Backup folder as well as deleting (renaming) the desktop Versamail folder and the message still reappears when I setup the account again.
    You said they come back after a hotsync - have you deleted the Versamail caches on your PC in the backup directory? I think if there is a file on your PC that isn't on your Treo, the hotsync will restore it.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Dang, I was just going to profer that exact solution.
    That is where the files are coming from, more than likely.

Look under the Palm desktop/palmOne folder and look for something akin to your user name (not exactly the same name though). If you haven't deleted all of your files on your handheld yet, you should be able to rename that directory, and a new one will be created on HotSync without losing all of your backed up data.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbobman
    Dang, I was just going to profer that exact solution.
    That is where the files are coming from, more than likely.

Look under the Palm desktop/palmOne folder and look for something akin to your user name (not exactly the same name though). If you haven't deleted all of your files on your handheld yet, you should be able to rename that directory, and a new one will be created on HotSync without losing all of your backed up data.
    I've done exactly all of that. I've deleted all related files in RAM on the Treo; ie., asc3, asc4, messages.db, and several other suspect ones as well as files in the backup folder (including the MultiMail ones and messages.db) on the desktop and renamed the Versamail folder (as well as deleted it). All to no avail.

One would think the messages are stored in one of these files, but I'll be darned if I can find it!
    I've done exactly all of that. I've deleted all related files in RAM on the Treo; ie., asc3, asc4, messages.db, and several other suspect ones as well as files in the backup folder (including the MultiMail ones and messages.db) on the desktop
    did you delete all the MMIDCache[0-7].pdb files in the backup folder? I would double check that each file you delete on the Treo you delete the corresponding backup in your backup directory (12 files total for me).

Quote Originally Posted by v3treonut
    I've deleted all but 3 messages, one of which if I attempt to open will immediately crash my Treo.
    Are these messages still on your mail server? or did you delete from there too?

Those are two other ways that I could see the messages getting back into Versamail. I don't know a lot about how the ROM works, so maybe I'm way off here, but it doesn't seem likely to me that any mail messages would make there way into the ROM.

Hope these two things help.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    ROM is Read Only Memory, so you would be correct, geneld. (There are way around this, of course, but Versamail/Documents to Go wouldn't have that level of access.)

The bad info is coming from the HotSync, if there has been a Hard Reset. It could be an attachment that has gone bad, or the DB corruption.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.