1.    #1  
    I had Chatter and a number of other applications installed on my Palm. I wanted to remove all the extra applications, so I did a hard reset.

However, when I synced after the hard reset, it reinstalled all my applications. How I do I control what applications get backed up/installed on a sync?
    A hard reset erases everything, which is automatically restored on your next hotsync. I am assuming you don't have Uninstall Manager (www.northglide.com). You can delete an app by using the delete function in the main Applications window. When you hotsync next, it will be deleted from your backup. You can also use a more sophisticated backup program, like BackupBuddy for Windows (www.bluenomad.com) which lets you select which files to backup and which ones to restore individually if you want.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  3.    #3  
    i did the hard reset so i could manually re-install only the programs i wanted. i did not realize it would automatically reinstall them.

is there anyway to reset the "application backup" feature?
    You could always rename the directory named after your hotsync ID in the PalmOne folder, then it will start from scratch.
    Cingular Treo 650
  5.    #5  
    My Palm is now associated with the original User ID. How do I unassociate it and use it with the new ID?
    You dont have to. When you hard reset and hotsync on a "clean" Palm Desktop install, it will prompt you to select a user ID from a list or create a new ID. You can create an ID with the same name as your old ID, since your old ID info is not accessible to the system anymore (since you renamed the folder).
    Cingular Treo 650
  7.    #7  
    after the hard reset, it asked me what user name to use, I said use the original user name...marc

i then created a new user name marc2. without have to do another hard reset, how do I have my palm sync to marc2 instead of marc?
    My new 650 was crashing a lot after the initial Hot Sync. I had many apps from my 600 that were initially installed into the 650. Finally, I did a hard reset and deleted all apps from my computer and then reinstalled them one at a time into my 650. Left out some offending apps and now no problems [for] now....
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by thebland
    My new 650 was crashing a lot after the initial Hot Sync. I had many apps from my 600 that were initially installed into the 650. Finally, I did a hard reset and deleted all apps from my computer and then reinstalled them one at a time into my 650. Left out some offending apps and now no problems [for] now....
    that is exactly my problem and what i am trying to accomplish.
    Well, if your Palm's name is Marc, then I have read about some utilities out there that let you change your ID on your Palm, but I wouldnt recommend that. If your PC thinks the ID is Marc2, it will expect a Palm device with that name (Marc2), otherwise it will recreate Marc as a separate ID in your PC.

You also want to be careful changing hotsync names, as any app you bought that is authorized on your hotsync ID will not work on the new ID.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by marc1
    after the hard reset, it asked me what user name to use, I said use the original user name...marc

i then created a new user name marc2. without have to do another hard reset, how do I have my palm sync to marc2 instead of marc?
    Ya got ahead of your self. Go into your desktop PalmOne [or whatever you called it] directory...look for the folder name "Marc" and click on it. Click on it again and change the name of the folder to "MarksOldCrap".

Now hard reset and go as you did before. It will look it the PalmOne directory for "Mark" and not finding one it will create a new one.
    But if you do what you suggest, don't you lose all the contacts and the appointments in your calendar as well? How do you restore those (if you never did a hot sync before)?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600guy
    But if you do what you suggest, don't you lose all the contacts and the appointments in your calendar as well? How do you restore those (if you never did a hot sync before)?
    Those are in DAT files that can be copied over once the sync name thing is resolved. That why the old folder is renamed and not deleted, so the data can be saved.
    Cingular Treo 650
    In DAT files? That is only if I do a hotsync right? Here is the exact issue. I think I have a corrupted contacts database causing problems with other programs that use the contacts. I have decided the best would be to do a hard reset and reinstall things. However, I'd like to not have to redo every one of my contacts (which amount to a few hundred). I have not hotsynched for months. Is there a way to save my contacts (on my SD card with my back up program or something) so I won't lose them and can restore them after a hard reset? I believe your answer is only if I do a hot sync. Isn't the "old folder" you are talking about the old hot sync folder? If you rename that folder, how would you restore the contacts and appointments from it anyway?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    You can export your info into a file that can be imported later on. I personally dont use the Palm Desktop for that reason - the utilities and options available for Outlook are more prevalent because Outlook is infinitely more popular than the Palm Desktop. The DAT files are the data files the Palm Desktop creates with your data in them. Theoretically you can just copy them out of the directory and put them back in once you've reinstalled. You can also export the files (like into a comma delimited file or something) and then import them once you reinstall the Desktop. However, if there is a record in there that has corruption, you may be bringing the corruption over when you transfer the file. Exporting and re-importing is one way of "cleansing" the data the hard way. You may have to scan the import file to make sure you dont have any wacky looking values in one of the fields.
    Cingular Treo 650