Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This new media player has been showing up on recent threads. I've tried it on my 650 and it works great! .63 was just released with a lot of updates. Although it says unstable, it is more stable then 2.14 mmplayer. Here's the url for the most recent update and discussion forum (http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/)

Below is a review by Palmloyal.com (http://www.palmloyal.com/new/content/view/254/2)

TCPMP: New Free Open Source Palm OS Audio & Video Player

If you have been itching to play Video on your Palm OS device, but were not willing to fork over some cash - it's time to scratch. The Core Pocket Media Player (TCPMP) for Palm OS is a new video player that is not only free, but pretty stable. This product is so new that it is still alpha phase. Alpha is the first testing stage of a new program. The alpha stage occurs before a program becomes a beta version. Don't let the stage phase fool you, this product is very impressive.

This player is based on the same engine used in the Free BetaPlayer for PocketPC, and is written by BetaPlayer’s developer Picard.

TCPMP has not been official released, but it is already the fastest video player for the Palm OS platform. About 1.5-2 times faster than MMPlayer, SmartMovie, or any other player for Palm OS.

Even owners of slower devices such as the Tungsten E, Zire 71, Tunsten T and Tungsten T2 can enjoy full screen full frame rate video playback. No more tweaks are needed on Tungsten T3 or Tungsten T5 - it is so fast, that it easily plays any video , without over-clocking or pre-rotation.

This player is based on the same engine used in the BetaPlayer for PocketPC, and is written by BetaPlayer’s developer Picard.

TCPMP is very supports a large variety of formats. For example, this is the only player for the Palm OS, that can play .OGM (OGG media video) and .MKV (Matroska) video formats. Of course it plays all of the regular video formats such as .AVI (DIVX/XVID). In addition to video, it plays the popular audio formats such as .MP3 and .OGG and other audio files.

A member of the DPUG and a Zodiac 2 owner was kind enough to share this find with us during out Breakout session. I have since then tested it on my Sprint Treo 650. With the exception of the 5-way navigator not working 100%, the program runs flawless. The app automatically reads compatible files from the /DCIM and / (memory card' root directory) directories and allow seamless scrolling between both Video and Audio files. It allows zooming, screen rotations, both Audio and Video muting, and playback speed adjustments.

Video that plays out of sync (requiring adjustments) on MMPlayer plays without a hitch. Read my lips "It's fantastic". I am sure that Magnus, the developer of MMPlayer, will continue to pour hours into development of his product (as he always have) to compete with the new kid on the Palm OS block.

Did I mention you get all of this for free?

It can be downloaded at http://tinyurl.com/5t3dd

The site is http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/ (It is undergoing some development so it may not be available for a few days).
    Last edited by tommccombs; 04/15/2005 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling
    I don't have a SD CARD yet, can someone convert a small pdb file for me to test out ?

Any help will be great
    This app really works great. Too bad it doesn't to WMV but I understand nothing does . Can anyone suggest a good converter? My video camera only records in WMV, so if I want to watch anything on my Treo, I'm going to need to convert.

TIA
    repost
    OMG this app is great! I am just not able to see how you open a particular file other than pressing the arrow keys and arrowing through every single piece of media on my Treo......lol... what am I missing here?

Bek
    I love it. Bye Bye MMplayer. No mor eencodeing for me yeah
    just wish I could bookmark. But, yeah, it is free
    keep in mind this software is still in alpha stage...not even beta yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    This app really works great. Too bad it doesn't to WMV but I understand nothing does . Can anyone suggest a good converter? My video camera only records in WMV, so if I want to watch anything on my Treo, I'm going to need to convert.

TIA
    Actually, if you have a Treo 650, the built-in player plays WMV files. Just drag the WMV over to the Quick Install program, and it will do the conversion for you. Of course, if you have a Treo 600 or earlier, you are pretty well out of luck. Pocket DVD Studio supposedly converts WMV files, but It does a horrible job at it.
    THIS IS AWESOME!! One question though? Anyway to clear the screen, or does an image of whatever you watched last, have to stay in the player viewer? Don't want to have to leave something inappropriate on the screen, then go to show my colleagues this cool new media player. *hint*hint*
    Still in the WAY Alpha stage, but is an amazing player, with no messups that I've seen. All media files must be in a first level directory like /Audio or /Video on your card, and you can only scroll through them--there's no GUI yet. But I'm sure there will be.
    This is really an amazing app (even more so that its free) but truth be told... compared to MMplayer Ive experienced quite a bit of asynchronization of the audio and video on TCPMP. Whereas MMplayer plays it flawlessly. Im not sure if its because of the way I encoded the video but there is definately a few seconds delay in the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    This is really an amazing app (even more so that its free) but truth be told... compared to MMplayer Ive experienced quite a bit of asynchronization of the audio and video on TCPMP. Whereas MMplayer plays it flawlessly. Im not sure if its because of the way I encoded the video but there is definately a few seconds delay in the video.
    I ran into the same asynchronization problems with TCPMP, but I narrowed the problem down to my encoding process. TCPMP so far has not had any problem for me yet with synchronization on properly-encoded videos.
  14.    #14  
    I've used Pocket DVD Studio for my movies and haven't seen any sync problems with the new player. A couple of others have had sync problems with non AVI files. You might report your issues here (http://corecodec.com/modules.php?op=...viewforum&f=25). Picard is very responsive.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommccombs
    I've used Pocket DVD Studio for my movies and haven't seen any sync problems with the new player. A couple of others have had sync problems with non AVI files. You might report your issues here (http://corecodec.com/modules.php?op=...viewforum&f=25). Picard is very responsive.
    Already reported. He says that he'll fix it in the next version.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    I ran into the same asynchronization problems with TCPMP, but I narrowed the problem down to my encoding process. TCPMP so far has not had any problem for me yet with synchronization on properly-encoded videos.
    Hmm.. I figured it might be from the encoding. Can you tell me exactly what you did to properly encode your files?
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Please be more detailed. Are you talking about AVIs or MP4s? It plays my AVIs perfectly but doesn't exactly sync the audio on short MP4s and can't play long MP4s at all.
    how do you convert something to mp4s?
    This player is amazing. Anybody knows if there is a newer version than 0.6.1 It would be nice to be able to select directories not the whole SD card. Please post a link.

Al
    this player is AMAZING. Its nice to be able to stop a movie and then go right back to the same place in the movie after exiting the program. GREAT! Took 1 minute to install, 1 minute to play a movie. Interface is simple and easy.

good job.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast