Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i'm looking to learn more about headsets and possibly to invest in one. what kind of headsets do you all use, and do you recommend it? why or why not? what are the pros and cons?

thanks!
    I see you discovered that you can start threads in defferent sections.
    Not sure if you noticed, but you can search within them as well.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I see you discovered that you can start threads in defferent sections.
    Not sure if you noticed, but you can search within them as well.
    i'm not that much of an *****, but thank you for the compliment. (and if you read the entire thread, it was moved, and i still believe that it belongs elsewhere, but that's not up to me.)

for your information, i did a search and found many results. one single thread would be a nice place to put multiple REVIEWS of your particular experience with a headset -- with DETAILS.

i've seen plenty of threads that cover headset1 vs. headset2, but again, that doesn't answer my question: i want to cover a wide variety of headsets.

i've seen other threads that show polls that actually cover a number of headsets. however, there is little discussion as to WHY i should buy so-and-so and their pros and cons.

treocentral.com was a nicer community when i joined. i'm not sure why i bother anymore.
    I think it is probably because so many people are joining now, and either 1) Honestly don't know much about forums 2) Don't know how to use search or don't necessarily know what to search for. So may threads are popping up with seemingly redundant questions, that could be received differently if a more detailed request or question were provided.

I'll admit, the community still feels a bit unfriendly at times, but the longer I browse and participate on the board, the more I understand. People don't provide enough details on the requests they are making. Had you stated in your first post what you stated in your response to sxtg, perhaps you wouldn't have received the reaction that you did.

If you state up front that you're looking to put a definitive list of bluetooth headset reviews together in one thread, and that you've done searches for them, you'll probably be better received. Or perhaps, you could cut and paste some reviews to get the thread started, to at least show that you have put forth some effort and aren't just looking for everyone else to do legwork for you.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    Quote Originally Posted by tami
    i'm not that much of an *****, but thank you for the compliment. (and if you read the entire thread, it was moved, and i still believe that it belongs elsewhere, but that's not up to me.)

for your information, i did a search and found many results. one single thread would be a nice place to put multiple REVIEWS of your particular experience with a headset -- with DETAILS.

i've seen plenty of threads that cover headset1 vs. headset2, but again, that doesn't answer my question: i want to cover a wide variety of headsets.

i've seen other threads that show polls that actually cover a number of headsets. however, there is little discussion as to WHY i should buy so-and-so and their pros and cons.

treocentral.com was a nicer community when i joined. i'm not sure why i bother anymore.
    I wasn't trying to be rude... Although I am now having a hard time refraining.

If the info you are looking for isn't in the obnoxious amount of discussions, maybe you should post some specific questions.

There isn't much these relatively simply devices do...
    They either answer calls or they don't
    They either cut thru on dialing or they don't
    they either ring in the headset or they don't
    See the pattern? All of those anwers are discussed about almost every headset on the market.

I realize it would be a lot easier if you just post some request and then check back in on your lunch to find that some NICE TC member not only decided which headset would be best for you, but also ordered one with overnight shipping and prepaid return packaging just in case it wasn't quite right for you....
  6.    #6  
    thanks again dcsipe. i actually had this discussion over IM with another treocentral junkie, and he said that his longer posts on the forum are usually ignored, even if the posts were detailed and provided more information -- maybe people don't like reading a lot. i tried to be as brief as possible, but i suppose that was the wrong approach.

so now everyone has background into the question at hand, but at this point, the responses given by others in two threads i've made on these accessories don't really appear to be good places to post reviews, since both seem to have become battlegrounds rather than a true discussion regarding accessories and BT headsets.

so mods, feel free to delete this and the other thread, and if anyone wants to contact me regarding this inquiry, you can send me a PM.
    Most people (myself included) who actually tried several different headsets ended up sticking with the PalmOne Treo wireless headset. I cant think of anything new to say about it but if you have some questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tami

Wow!
    I must say that I completely agree with Tami.
    First of all, you will notice that I have been a TC member for several years, but rarely post. It is exactly the kind of response such as post #2 that prohibits me from doing so. Here we have a legitimate issue presented, and the response (which is ever increasing) is typically ...do a search you moron. I have a difficult time accepting the mentality that a poster who does not wish to directly answer a question instead feels obligated to flame the person who seeks information. My gosh, even some Mods have elected to engage in this sort of activity. See this... http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=81023.
    Isn't TC supposed to be a community of individuals who are primarily willing to exchange information, thoughts, etc. rather than engaging in condescending or inflamatory responses? It is obvious that some very knowledgable/helpful people (recall the likes of Mol, Alli, elysian, etc.) felt motivated enough to abandon TC for a more friendly, personable, helpful environment.
    I can say from my own experience that I will search for info until I find it or will give up and return another time with different search criteria rather than to post a question because posters on TC have shown me that one invites a flamefest (which will no doubt arise from this post) by doing so.
    Regardless, I feel compelled enough to comment on this kind of behavior on the TC forums.

Sheesh...
    Good points, but oh lord let's not revive the "Shadowmite in PopSci" thread again. He may have jumped the gun, but he did come back and apologize. Everyone makes mistakes.

You have to realize, you aren't going to change other people. If you aren't getting nice responses, you'll have to change how you present the questions. I may not like the way some things are responded to on this forum, but I can't find a better wealth on info on my Treo!

While not writing a book about what you're looking for, giving a few short, concise details, AND even letting the world know what you searched for, will probably help you out. At least then people will know that you're trying, and be more willing to help.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    dcsipe -
    Agreed. No intent/possibility to change anyone's behaviors.
    I have typically found TC to be anywhere from very informative to very entertaining (SV, purpleX, etc.) to downright disappointing (as my previous post indicated). Just (rarely) voicing my $0.02 as I am not a "poweruser" and consequently do not feel qualified to give technical advice, which BTW is exactly why I seek info on TC regularly.
    Doesn't it take about the same amount of time to answer a question for someone as it does to shoot them down. If someone is going to take the time to write a reply, maybe it should be positive. Goes back to the old addage, if you don't have something good to say, don't say it.
    Glad to see you all have opinions.
    BTW my post came not from her question in this thread, but more from one she started just a few minutes earlier in which she made some sarcastic remarks to a mod about moving it to the correct forum. Ironically the content of her sarcasm was about not cluttering up TC with extra threads.
    Looking back- My comments were harsh and... Tami, I am sorry
  14.    #14  
    i wasn't sarcastic, just unsure of where it properly belonged.

in any event, apology accepted.
    I see both sides to the story....on one hand, I agree, if you are going to respond, it should take just as long to type something informative as to type a finger shaking answer. OTOH, if the information is already on the board, it does might seem a bit presumptuous to some to ask someone to take their time to retype all that stuff in one place so that someone doesn't have to spend their time searching several threads for it.

Having done that search myself, and read hundreds of posts, I came down to the Sony HBH-660 and the Treo Wireless Headset. With the 662 waiting in the wings to replace the 660 and the fact that the TWH uses the same charger I started leaning towards the TWH. The clincher though is that anytime I can prevent Tech Support from using page 1 in the tech support handbook under "Step 1 - How to Get a Caller Off the Phone" - "Any time there is more than one piece of hardware involved tell customer it is the other manufacturer's problem and hang up".

From everything I have read here on these boards, the TWH seems to be the one to beat.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    From everything I have read here on these boards, the TWH seems to be the one to beat.
    Now if we could just find one somewhere in stock!
    I came down to the Sony HBH-660 and the Treo Wireless Headset.
    I think these are the two that are mentioned as working the best. I'm extremely satisfied with my 660 but would be interersted in trying the TWH.

Sheesh, my timing is terrible. Tried a Motorola last week and hated it, so came to read more online reviews. Seemed a lot of support for the Cardo Scala, so ordered one based solely on TreoCentral users. Now it's the Sony or the TWH. Oh well. At least the Scala is inexpensive.
    Well, today it is the Sony or TWH, 2-3 months ago, the Scala seemd to be among the most well liked...by June I am sure there will be a new king of the hill.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    After trying 2 Scala 500's I have settled on the Tekkeon ezTalker Mini and have not looked back since.

See my review here.
    SprintPCS Treo 755p
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast