Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Just saw this
    http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...rder=0&thold=0

    Does the 650 support EV-DO? Has anyone got it to work? Any noticeable speed increase? I'm ready to stream 128kbps shoutcast!

    EDIT:

    eh just read to the bottom of the article
    Note: The only devices that could potentially support EV-DO at this time are the PPC-6600 Series and the Sierra AirCard 580. Sprint will announce much more about EV-DO, including coverage and handsets very soon.
    i guess the 650's out
  2. #2  
    Now that sprint has EVDO that opens up more doors when I leave Cingular. Unless they get it too... Oh and I need my PPC with, 3.5 audio jack, camera, wifi, and a built in keyboard. Can I get that...???

    Make it a 7 megapixel thanks.
  3. #3  
    650 no EV-DO, ever. No support in the hardware. I got this response at the treo roadshow last November.

    They did say that PTT was possible but sprint did not request this feature in the firmware. A third party app could be written though.
  4. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #4  
    Cingular wont' get EV-DO as it's a CDMA technology AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize
    Cingular wont' get EV-DO as it's a CDMA technology AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    That's true. Next step for Cingular (GSM) is EDGE (in deployment). After that, it's W-CDMA.
  6. #6  
    When Verizon releases the 650 in a couple of weeks, it will support EVDO.

    EVDO is a technology for CDMA carriers - Verizon and Sprint.

    The GSM carriers - Cingular, TMobile - will have their own version of high speed internet access, called EDGE. I currently have EDGE with Cingular *AND* EVDO with Verizon. EVDO is faster. However, Verizon is expensive as all get out, compared to the competition.

    Potato, PoTAHto.
  7. Quake97's Avatar
    Posts
    557 Posts
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    #7  
    The Verizon version won't have EV-DO. Not sure where anyone got that idea.

    Joe
  8. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #8  
    will the next treo support ev-do?
    I gotta have more cowbell
  9. #9  
    It makes no sense that Comcast charges me 40 bucks a month for unlimited broadband connection yet these wireless providers want to gouge the heck out of everyone with their slow data plans. Do they have to put up new towers? I don't think so isn't it just a new box on the old tower? I lucked out and got on Cing with unlimited for 19 a month. But I'll lose that when I leave and go to an EVDO provider. And Edge is not that great.
  10. #10  
    EDGE is OK. It is better than straight GPRS.

    If you are in a stronger EDGE area (like SF or LA) it's pretty fast.

    Everyone craps on Cingular for not rolling out EDGE fast enough. But the US is a big country. Give them a chance.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    It makes no sense that Comcast charges me 40 bucks a month for unlimited broadband connection yet these wireless providers want to gouge the heck out of everyone with their slow data plans. Do they have to put up new towers? I don't think so isn't it just a new box on the old tower? I lucked out and got on Cing with unlimited for 19 a month. But I'll lose that when I leave and go to an EVDO provider. And Edge is not that great.
    Pricing is based on what the market will bear. The convenience of wireless internet access on a device from anywhere is why people are willing to pay the price and so the company is proven justified in their pricing structure.

    Anyway, I use Sprint and their data plan is pretty cheap. Like $15. And you can probably talk that down to $10.

    So long as the companies that charge over $40 get takers they have no reason to lower their price. In fact they would be fools to do so.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    That's true. Next step for Cingular (GSM) is EDGE (in deployment). After that, it's W-CDMA.

    Actually there is something in between that has currently been deployed in a few metropolitan areas: UMTS. I am in Dallas and had a trial card that I know works here and in Seattle. Speeds in the 300-400K range, very similar to EV-Do.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard
    Actually there is something in between that has currently been deployed in a few metropolitan areas: UMTS. I am in Dallas and had a trial card that I know works here and in Seattle. Speeds in the 300-400K range, very similar to EV-Do.

    Beat me to the post! UMTS is next for most GSM carriers.

    Also in regards to the price gouging comment; I understand where you are coming from but to me the technology is so remarkable that I am willing to pay more for it. Only 3 years ago I surfing at 8 kbps on my i300, and I thought it was great!

    300-400k without a terrestrial line is remarkable.

    If sprint brings this service live soon, the 650 is really going to seem antiquated.


    -rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard
    Actually there is something in between that has currently been deployed in a few metropolitan areas: UMTS. I am in Dallas and had a trial card that I know works here and in Seattle. Speeds in the 300-400K range, very similar to EV-Do.
    True. As I understand it, the path for GSM actually splits and goes to UMTS and/or? W-CDMA at roughly the same time. Eventually all paths are supposed to lead to something common, but I need a chart to keep it straight
  15. #15  
    yea, that common point is w-cdma which is what japan has now... it's cdma architecture with sim card pretty much (or at least how i understand it) cdma is just the method of transmitting data. to tell the truth i dont pay attention to that too much because its far off in the next 2-3 years. by then i will not have a treo 650. however ev-do does interest me because it is already out with verizon and sprint is on the cusp.
    sprint will have ev-do coverage (at least in my area) i was told as early as next month, but almost for sure by june. and yes they are selling the ev-do capable hardware such as the sierra wireless 580 and the ppc-660x. they plan on turning on ev-do and wowing people with the faster speeds on equipment they already may have- and paying the same for the service (at least what i am told so far)
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  16. #16  
    Basically there's only three wireless broadband servcies right now:

    Verizon EV-DO - no hardware support in 650 but fastest technology currently available. Limited to 21 US cities. Max download speed 1,100 Kbps

    UMTS - No hardware support in 650, next big thing for GSM. Limited to 6 US cities. Max download speed 300 Kbps

    UMTS/HSDPA - Not here yet but worth mentioning. Basically, HSDPA is to UMTS as EDGE is to GPRS. It's a software upgrade. Average download speed expected to be 700 - 800 Kbps but depending on network configuration 14,000 Kbps possible.

    EDGE - Approximately 55% US geographic coverage, 95 % population coverage. Hardware support in 650, 220 Kbps max download speed.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by thegasguru
    When Verizon releases the 650 in a couple of weeks, it will support EVDO.

    EVDO is a technology for CDMA carriers - Verizon and Sprint.

    The GSM carriers - Cingular, TMobile - will have their own version of high speed internet access, called EDGE. I currently have EDGE with Cingular *AND* EVDO with Verizon. EVDO is faster. However, Verizon is expensive as all get out, compared to the competition.

    Potato, PoTAHto.
    Even though EVDO is a CDMA technology, it doesn't mean it COULDN'T be implemented on GSM carriers. By the way, I know it won't be as they are following plans to do EDGE, UMTS, HPSDA, and all of that, but it's still possible.

    For instance, the GSM voice network is different than the GPRS and EDGE networks. That is why GSM phones can usually have an active data session and be talked on at the same time. Also, that is why they will be able to use W-CDMA, UMTS and HPSDA, which are all based on CDMA technology, as far as I know.
  18. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard
    Actually there is something in between that has currently been deployed in a few metropolitan areas: UMTS. I am in Dallas and had a trial card that I know works here and in Seattle. Speeds in the 300-400K range, very similar to EV-Do.

    UMTS and W-CDMA are the same thing. Years ago they it was more commonly known as W-CDMA, but the GSM consortium quickly abandoned that because they didn't want to have anything with "CDMA" in the name. (even though that's what it is) UMTS is the new name.

    Not sure if this is true or not, but supposedly there was some talk of calling it "3GSM." Personally, I think that sounds kinda cool.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    For instance, the GSM voice network is different than the GPRS and EDGE networks. That is why GSM phones can usually have an active data session and be talked on at the same time.
    As I understand it, and neither Verizon nor Sprint have mentioned it, there is a variation of EV-DO called EV-DV that can support data and voice at the same time.
    EV-DO = Data Only
    EV-DV = Data Voice


    Actually I just did a search and this article says that apparently they will not be rolling out EV-DV:
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000027034656/

Posting Permissions