Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    No doubt a dumb question, but I was unable to find the answer anywhere else while awaiting delivery of my 650.

Using Blazer (or, presumably, any other browser suitable for the 650) will you normally access the same websites as on your desktop with IE, or, where available, will you normally access the 'mobile' or 'WAP' version?

And, if you access the 'normal' site (and you are being charged by the Mb for data) is it best to switch off pictures etc for speed and economy?

TIA,
    Biggles
    Yes normal sites can be slow (and expensive) to browse. I try to browse 'mobile' sites (not wap sites). Check out http://pdaportal.com/ for mobile sites. Alot of sites have a smaller site for PDA/smartphone browsing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmacd
    Yes normal sites can be slow (and expensive) to browse. I try to browse 'mobile' sites (not wap sites). Check out http://pdaportal.com/ for mobile sites. Alot of sites have a smaller site for PDA/smartphone browsing.
    It's not expensive to browse any web sites for me - I have an unlimited data plan for $20/month. The only web sites I can't use are those that try to download Java applets. Even though I have the Java VM installed, my Treo won't handle Java applets as they are normally downloaded (through a browser).
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    It's not expensive to browse any web sites for me - I have an unlimited data plan for $20/month.
    Which is why I was specifically asking about the strategy to adopt when you are being charged by the Mb. If we had unlimited data plans for less than around $150 here in the UK, I wouldn't have needed to ask :-)
    In that case, I's suggest wapswap.com, cellonyourphone.com and turn off images. Sorry I did not notice your location when I first responded. I'm surprised that there are no unlimited date plsns in the UK. No T-Mobile? Or are you on CDMA?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Unlimited data plans seem to be in their infancy here.

T-Mobile do have a plan at 40pm (so maybe $75) but the small print says their 'fair usage policy' means that they'll kick you off if you use more than 100Mb pm, which doesn't sound much to me. Orange have a genuine unlimited plan but that's 88.13pm (so maybe $165).

So, most of the time, internet use is going to cost me around $4 per Mb, hence my paranoia with regard to economical use of the browser :-(
    I'm on Orange UK 10Mb plan (8/$15) a month. After using the 10Mb I get charged 0.80/$1.50 per additional Meg. I am trying out TrafficStat - it tells how much you've used so far. See www .normsoft.com
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Yes, I think I'd have to move from Vodafone (2.35/$4.44 per Mb, no unlimited plan that I can see).

Thanks for the link to TrafficStat, I'll need something of that kind to assess my usage - at the moment I really have no idea how much I'll use my Treo for web access.