Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Are there any other programmers out there trying to rewrite the code for Treo 650 Wifi capabilities? This is such a CRITICAL feature for handhelds. Hotspots, Home WLANs, Business WLAN. C'mon PalmOne...WE NEED WiFi!!!!
  2.    #82  
    I guess...
    shouting will not help us.
    In fact, nothing will help... I abondoned my hopes...
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    I guess...
    shouting will not help us.
    In fact, nothing will help... I abondoned my hopes...
    *picks up your hopes. steps on them. chops them into little, tiny bits. sets the bits on fire*

There. I hope that takes care of that.

We can't have our hopes being resurrected.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
  4.    #84  
    do whatever with my hopes; I already abondoned them
    NEVER abandon your hopes! Set your expectations realistically (really, really low in this case), but always keep hoping!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies Dig the 650

i used one of my 4 treo 650s to to film a date
    i ran into conversion problems for the new 3g2 format. which is diffrent from 3gpp,3gp mpeg4 formats.

one word
    Quicktime 7

Yeah baby

now you can use your phone as a cam and edit the footage.

-Tramaine - "The Man"

ps. dig the pic.........dig the pic
    I don't mean to shout but I NeeeeeeeD Wifi! I'm so happy that I don't have to lug around a laptop or boot up Windows to look up a contact but why....why...why....make a cutting edge gadget with a cutting edge technology PURPOSELY DISABLED?

I know the answer is money so I'm not asking Verizon for the driver, I'm asking the next talented (soon to be famous) programmer out there to please hear my cries. We Need Wifi!!!!
  8.    #88  
    Shadowmite keeps saying he's on a project.
    Maybe he's creating a driver for wifi on Treo 650 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    Shadowmite keeps saying he's on a project.
    Maybe he's creating a driver for wifi on Treo 650 ?
    I sure hope so. Maybe we can PayPal some money to him for inspiration! Who's willing to donate funds for a Verizon WiFi driver?

I'm in!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I would contribute to a Shadowmite fund for a workable wifi hack on the Treo 650.

ilkeraktuna, since you've been neck deep in all this for the longest time would you oversee a Paypal drive to raise some cash as an incentive for Shadowmite to do his thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by chasden
    I would contribute to a Shadowmite fund for a workable wifi hack on the Treo 650.
    Same here!
    Last edited by typera; 07/05/2005 at 08:32 AM.
    Looking for the Famous Co-op Network? Here is the link! - Read the FAQ!
    If you really badly need Wi-Fi, why not just purchase an Enfora Wi-Fi sled ?
    Quote Originally Posted by muttdaemon
    If you really badly need Wi-Fi, why not just purchase an Enfora Wi-Fi sled ?
    The sled makes the treo too big, I can live with having the Wifi SDIO card in my wallet/pocket but not the sled.

It's kinda depressing that almost all M$ PPCs have it built in and we have to use an addon which doubles the size of the unit
    Looking for the Famous Co-op Network? Here is the link! - Read the FAQ!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    That thing turns an otherwise happy and healthy Treo into a brick. I used an OmniSky wireless modem on my Palm V back in the day, but I always hated the extra size and weight... A sled like this is more of the same; it's totally counter to the whole idea of convergence that the Treo is supposed to deliver.

If no sd wifi is to be had I'll just pay for the overpriced unlimited wireless data plan from Cingular...
    That thing turns an otherwise happy and healthy Treo into a brick. I used an OmniSky wireless modem on my Palm V back in the day, but I always hated the extra size and weight... A sled like this is more of the same; it's totally counter to the whole idea of convergence that the Treo is supposed to deliver.

If no sd wifi is to be had I'll just pay for the overpriced unlimited wireless data plan from Cingular...
    Plus, there's the issue of the Enfora wifi sled not existing yet That thing was supposed to be out in March. Its July now, so you can do the math
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    Plus, there's the issue of the Enfora wifi sled not existing yet That thing was supposed to be out in March. Its July now, so you can do the math
    TC Store says available tomorrow
    everything was beautiful and nobody hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by adimiron
    TC Store says available tomorrow
    As I said, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one
  18.    #98  

ilkeraktuna, since you've been neck deep in all this for the longest time would you oversee a Paypal drive to raise some cash as an incentive for Shadowmite to do his thing?
    I wouldn't do that.
    I'm sure if Shadowmite will do it for money; he could do as well and sell the driver on any Palm Software site...
    I wouldn't offer Shadowmite money unless he asks for it.

But if anyone organizes such paypal account, I'd gladly pay.
    I thought that in lieu of live DNS servers/addresses, a 'DNS list/pointer (file) could be used for hubs, etc.? If so, why not for the Treo DNS/wi-fi issues?

Maria
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius2010
    I don't mean to shout but I NeeeeeeeD Wifi! I'm so happy that I don't have to lug around a laptop or boot up Windows to look up a contact but why....why...why....make a cutting edge gadget with a cutting edge technology PURPOSELY DISABLED?

I know the answer is money so I'm not asking Verizon for the driver, I'm asking the next talented (soon to be famous) programmer out there to please hear my cries. We Need Wifi!!!!
    Arg, so much misinformation... I used to think that everything was purposely disabled, but I now think that it's just too difficult to make user-friendly with the current code they have. Just following the original huge thread there were conflicts between connection libraries and things like that.

I think Palm could probably put something out today that would work 80% of the time, but then everyone would complain that their device crashes 20% of the time and it would turn into *everyone* calling the Treo a piece of junk.

Some people say it's because the carriers don't want it. That may or may not be true, there's no way to prove or disprove unless you have inside documents. The fact that they exist for PocketPC phones tells me that they aren't afraid of wifi in general. Otherwise those wouldn't exist either.

Starting a paypal fund for Shadowmite to make wifi work is a wonderful idea -- if it wasn't already done about 6-8 months ago. You can follow it in the first wifi thread. Lots of money pledged and some were paid because it partially worked.

As for screaming you "neeeeeeeed" wifi, you should have known when you bought it that wifi doesn't exist on it. I don't like it either. If you do "neeeeeeeed" wifi that much, you need to buy an additional device that will support it and deal with carrying two devices. I realize this is counter to what the Treo is designed to do, but rarely do you get the best of everything in a converged device. I think the Treo has done better than any other device at delivering the best of everything, it's just not perfect.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast