1.    #1  

Hi. I really want to get a Treo 650 but cannot figure out which service provider is better. From what I can tell it is between Cingular and Sprint (since T-Mobile does not offer Treo 650). I figured that they would be comparably priced so I called both companies and found that the unlimited internet (data) service for Cingular is a $44.99/month add on while Sprint is only $15/month add on. Am I missing something here? From what I have read, the 2 services provide similar speed internet service. Voice rates were comparable between the 2 companies.

Also I read a review that said that the Sprint version has a few second delay after hitting the send button to make a call (and that the Cingular version did not). Is that true?
    You're pretty much correct with everything you just said.
    Sprint's data plan is much cheaper, but you do have that few second delay on Sprint before calls can be received. I don't really know how much of a problem that is, you'd have to talk to some Sprint users to really know. On the GSM it's really rare that I miss a call because of using data even when I'm actively web surfing. You really need to have the data transfer going RIGHT THEN to miss the call, any break is an opportunity for the call to come in. Still if I'm expecting a call I try to stay off the web.
    A Treo on either Sprint, Cingular, or even Verizon are all going to have nearly the same top speed. TMobile will be slower (GPRS only) except in limited areas where they have EDGE.

Having said that, I like the way the GPRS/EDGE data works better than the way the Sprint data works (technology wise) but in the end they both work just as great.

Cingular's unlimited PDA dataplan is $45. You could, however, get the unlimited MediaNet data plan for $25/month. It'll work, but Cingular won't sell it to you if you tell them you have a Treo. But one way or another you should be able to get it if you really want GSM and want to save money.

T-Mobile: Get an unlocked full price GSM phone, or wait until a TMobile version comes out (coming soon I understand.) TMobile's unlimited is only $20, but forget it. TMobile's network is much smaller than Cingular's and they don't have EDGE on most of the network, just GPRS which is slow.

Verizon: Another alternative. Treo coming within weeks. Best coverage map of all of them. Not sure about pricing, but not as cheap as Sprint.

Sprint: Great price for data, awesome coverage if you inclue the $5 unlimited roaming. Phone call coverage area puts Cingular to shame, but you may not get data features all the time when roaming (not really sure.)

Cingular: My preference. Biggest GSM network. All data features work while roaming.

Cingular data plans 101:
    There are 3 levels of data plans.
    Media Net (for phones) - Cheapest, $25 for unlimited
    PDA (for PDAs) - Medium, $45 for unlimited
    Data Connect (for laptop cards) - Expensive, $80 for unlimited.

There are two network access points used on the Cingular network:
    wap.cingular (aka the login is WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM)
    isp.cingular (aka the login is ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, or ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM)

Media Net gives you acccess to: wap.cingular
    PDA plan gives you acccess to both: wap.cingular and isp.cingular
    Data Connect gives you access to: isp.cingular

The bottom line:
    There is no need for the $45 plan. Work on getting the $25 Media Net plan. That's another discussion (you can even search the forums for countless discussions on this.)

Conclusion:
    It sounds like you'd prefer Cingular but the price is too high. I don't blame you. I prefer Cingular myself.
    Get the Treo 650 without a data plan.
    Call customer service, ask to add Media Net unlimited data plan for $25.
    If they ask what kind of phone you have, say it's a Motorola V400 or any flip phone, deny it's a Treo.

If you end up having to get the $45 plan, then just call and cancel it and then add the Media Net.

But if you don't want to play games and Sprint has other things to offer you, then many many people are very happy with Sprint.

I Hope this helps.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Does Cingular have your phone model on record? If they don't, I will order Media Net by phone or website.

You know, I couldn't see where you can order the PDA plan on their site, only Media. Will they still give it to you(if they refuse to sell me Media)?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/15/2005 at 01:00 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well yes and no. They do have that information if you bought the phone from them. However, customer service doesn't seem to have that information readily available when you call. Point being, don't worry about it.
    Whenever I've ever called, they always ask me what kind of phone I have because they don't have that info in front of them (even though they have just verified my identity and can see my account) and that's only when the ask. And they usually don't.

You can just log in to your account (where you view your bill and such.) Somewhere in there is a place where you can add features to your account. The site just went down at midnight for maintinence so I can't log in right now to look at it. If the Media Net unlimited plan is on there, I would just add it that way through your account on the site.

But if you call...
    Some people say when they call to add Media Net, customer service never even asks what kind of phone they have, they just add the feature as asked.
    Others say they've told CS they have a Treo 650, CS argues with them that Media Net won't work on a treo, and the they (customer) insists they want to try it anyway, and CS adds the feature anyway.

But if it were to come down to it, and for some reason they suddenly started tracking what phone you're using, etc. When asked you can simply any model phone that they support (example Motorola RAZR V3.) You can say you bought an unlocked one from Costco and put your SIM in it which is totally acceptable to do. If they push you for the IMEI number, and they definately won't, just say you don't have it with you right now (it's in the car, etc.) just as long as you're not talking on it via 611... and then that's your out. You can't take the battery out and look at the IMEI if you're talking on it.
    I only mention this last thing about IMEI because AT&T wireless was much more acive about keeping track of what phone you were using and would (mildly) harass you if you changed phones and didn't tell them. Cingular, however, has never been like this and they don't seem to care.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    You're pretty much correct with everything you just said.
    Sprint's data plan is much cheaper, but you do have that few second delay on Sprint before calls can be received. I don't really know how much of a problem that is, you'd have to talk to some Sprint users to really know. On the GSM it's really rare that I miss a call because of using data even when I'm actively web surfing. You really need to have the data transfer going RIGHT THEN to miss the call, any break is an opportunity for the call to come in. Still if I'm expecting a call I try to stay off the web.
    A Treo on either Sprint, Cingular, or even Verizon are all going to have nearly the same top speed. TMobile will be slower (GPRS only) except in limited areas where they have EDGE.

Having said that, I like the way the GPRS/EDGE data works better than the way the Sprint data works (technology wise) but in the end they both work just as great.

Cingular's unlimited PDA dataplan is $45. You could, however, get the unlimited MediaNet data plan for $25/month. It'll work, but Cingular won't sell it to you if you tell them you have a Treo. But one way or another you should be able to get it if you really want GSM and want to save money.

T-Mobile: Get an unlocked full price GSM phone, or wait until a TMobile version comes out (coming soon I understand.) TMobile's unlimited is only $20, but forget it. TMobile's network is much smaller than Cingular's and they don't have EDGE on most of the network, just GPRS which is slow.

Verizon: Another alternative. Treo coming within weeks. Best coverage map of all of them. Not sure about pricing, but not as cheap as Sprint.

Sprint: Great price for data, awesome coverage if you inclue the $5 unlimited roaming. Phone call coverage area puts Cingular to shame, but you may not get data features all the time when roaming (not really sure.)

Cingular: My preference. Biggest GSM network. All data features work while roaming.

Cingular data plans 101:
    There are 3 levels of data plans.
    Media Net (for phones) - Cheapest, $25 for unlimited
    PDA (for PDAs) - Medium, $45 for unlimited
    Data Connect (for laptop cards) - Expensive, $80 for unlimited.

There are two network access points used on the Cingular network:
    wap.cingular (aka the login is WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM)
    isp.cingular (aka the login is ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, or ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM)

Media Net gives you acccess to: wap.cingular
    PDA plan gives you acccess to both: wap.cingular and isp.cingular
    Data Connect gives you access to: isp.cingular

The bottom line:
    There is no need for the $45 plan. Work on getting the $25 Media Net plan. That's another discussion (you can even search the forums for countless discussions on this.)

Conclusion:
    It sounds like you'd prefer Cingular but the price is too high. I don't blame you. I prefer Cingular myself.
    Get the Treo 650 without a data plan.
    Call customer service, ask to add Media Net unlimited data plan for $25.
    If they ask what kind of phone you have, say it's a Motorola V400 or any flip phone, deny it's a Treo.

If you end up having to get the $45 plan, then just call and cancel it and then add the Media Net.

But if you don't want to play games and Sprint has other things to offer you, then many many people are very happy with Sprint.

I Hope this helps.

Thanks! That is a great summary.

I am starting to lean toward Sprint...because like you said "no playing games", they have great prices with no arguments.

Any Sprint users care to comment. Can you receive calls while on the internet? How about the call send delay? Anything else I should be aware of before signing up for a 2 year contract (ugh...what happened to 1 yr. contracts).