1.    #1  
    I'm very happy with my Treo, but even without problems like TreoGuard turning the phone off for me I have just found that I inadvertently turn off the phone far, far too often. Mostly when I stick the phone in my holster quickly, but sometimes just when I mean to hang up the phone and get distracted.

I very very rarely want to disable the phone (once a month at the movie theater or on a plane?) so I'd really prefer that "turn off the phone" be a fairly difficult thing to accomplish. Unfortunately, none of the applications I have tested seem to be able to override holding down the power button to turn off the phone.

Anyone got a better way? Clue me in here ...
    Well, it IS kinda hard to turn it off since you have to press and hold the button for a couple of seconds before the radio turns off. Hitting the button slightly turns the Palm device off, but the phone is still on. With Cingular phones you get a little ringtone melody (very annoying by the way) when the phone turns on/off.

What kind of holster do you have? A holster that applies pressure to the power button enough to turn the radio off is defective in my opinion. As for hanging up a call and being distracted so you hold the key too long, well, don't do that. It like you go to the doctor and say "it hurts when I do this". And the doctor says .... "well, then don't do that".

To answer your question I have not seen an app that disables the radio power off function. Have you tried mytreo.net? The have a pretty good library of apps there.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhett
    I'm very happy with my Treo, but even without problems like TreoGuard turning the phone off for me I have just found that I inadvertently turn off the phone far, far too often.
    I have been facing similiar issues with my Treo650 'Phone' turning off on its own, I wonder if it also has to do with Treoguard. I also have a problem with inadvertently turning off the phone when I put the phone in my pocket. Personally I think PalmOne should haver left the 'Phone Power Off' button on the top like with the Treo 600. That would have not only solved this problem but would have also allowed us to use the 4th button to assign like with the Treo600. PalmOne should really have left quite a few things as they were in the Treo600, for eg. the assigning of different applications to the 5 way control pad. It almost seems like some of the changes have been made simply as a statement against Handspring. Someone's ego seems to have played a role in this, how else does one explain changing of perfectly good things from the Treo 600.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay
    I have been facing similiar issues with my Treo650 'Phone' turning off on its own, I wonder if it also has to do with Treoguard.
    Oh, the turning off on its own has everything to do with TreoGuard. I installed that last night, and starting having issues fairly quickly. I delete it 8 hours ago and the phone hasn't turned itself off since. TreoGuard is not kosher for the 650.

I also have a problem with inadvertently turning off the phone when I put the phone in my pocket. Personally I think PalmOne should haver left the 'Phone Power Off' button on the top like with the Treo 600. That would have not only solved this problem but would have also allowed us to use the 4th button to assign like with the Treo600. PalmOne should really have left quite a few things as they were in the Treo600, for eg. the assigning of different applications to the 5 way control pad. It almost seems like some of the changes have been made simply as a statement against Handspring. Someone's ego seems to have played a role in this, how else does one explain changing of perfectly good things from the Treo 600.
    I dunno, since I didn't use the 600. I guess thanks for the support? Still gotta find an answer...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Well, it IS kinda hard to turn it off since you have to press and hold the button for a couple of seconds before the radio turns off. Hitting the button slightly turns the Palm device off, but the phone is still on. With Cingular phones you get a little ringtone melody (very annoying by the way) when the phone turns on/off.
    Yes, I have gotten way too used to listening for that melody. Hang up the phone, drop in holster/pocket/ ding-a-ling! damnit! grab the phone and WAIT to finally hold down the key again to re-enable the phone WAIT put it carefully in pocket.

Sucks.

The funny thing is that no other keys are getting activated like this, or none that do anything bad anyway. I really don't quite grasp why it is always this key that gets into trouble.
    I am using TreoGuard and am not experiencing these power off problems. I am having a different problem when the phone turns on on-schedule (was using TreoGuard but am now using TreoAlarm for this) it says "No Service - SOS Only" even though the phone is working fine.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I can build in the ability to map out the phone off button into my profile version of ScheduleCare. Would this be of interest to people? Then you can allow your profiles (manual or timed) to toggle the state of the phone radio.

Jeff
    IVe used TreoGuard since it first was offered for the 600, and have no issues with my 650 turning off by itself (unless I use the radio control feature to set a timed radio off profile). You may have an imcompatibility with some other piece of software.

GeakWare (maker of TreoGuard) offers a solution to the turn the phone off in your pocket problem, too: Pocket Protector. You can configure it so that a double press of the hard buttons are necessary to activate the button function.

I don't have any real problem with the phone turning off in my pocket, though, even wearing fairly tight jeans. Maybe you need to wear looser clothing?

Finally, I agree with the comment that Palm should have left well enough alone with the top power button. It's amazing how many little "improvements" in the 650 design are really steps backward. Pa1mOne: if you're listening, I'll volunteer to beta test your next Treo.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.