Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Holy cow! They just started this today.
    Ironically I was looking at that page just yesterday (the cell phone page that is) totally unrelated reasons to this thread and it wasn't there.
    Nice.

But for the life of me, I can't understand why a discount wholesale wherehouse sells it for $30 more than the PalmOne RETAIL stores and web site. That's costco for you. Ream you for $60 a year and not make the same products cheaper.
    $30 isn't too bad for an "unlimited" warranty if you think about it...
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ....snip

... Ream you for $60 a year and not make the same products cheaper.
    Which Costco do you bellong to? The regular membership is $45, and the Executive Membership is $100. My local Costco has a gas station, so I save the $45 in that alone, not to mention the 1-3% back from the free AMEX card. Ream me again, baby!
    Apple iPhone, Apple Bluetooth
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    They sell phones for way below anyone else, even including the extras. I suspect if they had the 650, it would be offered in a decent bundle for under $400 retail.
    They got the unlocked for $729, highest I seen it anywhere. Considering you can get a Cingular for $325 (Sprint about $40 cheaper) by walking into any brick and mortar and or Amazon for $299 (Sprint actually higher last time I looked), I ain't gonna run out and get a Costco card <grin>.
    Quote Originally Posted by jknuckey
    $30 isn't too bad for an "unlimited" warranty if you think about it...
    Where does it say unlimited warantee? I can't seem to find that anywhere on the Treo 650 page.
    If that covered replacement of the unit that might be worth it. I did the RMA thing with the Treo 600 through PalmOne and that could have gone better.

As for my gripe about Costco...
    They are a discount wholesaler that charges a membership.
    Therefore should offer the same products for wholesale or at least signficantly cheaper prices than retail. They are not a retailer, you should never see a retail price in there and that happens a little more often than it should.
    While many products, food and office items particularly, you can get for a lot cheaper. Or at least get a larger quantity for a little cheaper, Electronics and entertainment items are requently not much cheaper if at all. It really depends. Sometimes there's a killer deal, others you'll be paying the same or even more than retail.

Don't get me wrong, I love Costco and save a ton of money there on all kinds of things (food, vitamins, cleaners, sonicare toothbrush.) I got a Sandisk Ultra II 1GB for what $60~$70 I think, I'm stoked about that. I just get bent the wrong way on the occasions where I notice something retail price when I'm paying a membership to get 'wholesale' prices.
    In this case, WTF? I just can't figure out why it's $730 when it should be $600, or $650 at the very most. I can go to the PalmOne retail kiosk in the mall and get it for $700, and they take Visa.
    Does it come with an extra charger, cradle, what?
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    you can return anything to costco forever for any reason...
    Where does it say unlimited warantee? I can't seem to find that anywhere on the Treo 650 page.
    If that covered replacement of the unit that might be worth it. I did the RMA thing with the Treo 600 through PalmOne and that could have gone better.

As for my gripe about Costco...
    They are a discount wholesaler that charges a membership.
    Therefore should offer the same products for wholesale or at least signficantly cheaper prices than retail. They are not a retailer, you should never see a retail price in there and that happens a little more often than it should.
    While many products, food and office items particularly, you can get for a lot cheaper. Or at least get a larger quantity for a little cheaper, Electronics and entertainment items are requently not much cheaper if at all. It really depends. Sometimes there's a killer deal, others you'll be paying the same or even more than retail.

Don't get me wrong, I love Costco and save a ton of money there on all kinds of things (food, vitamins, cleaners, sonicare toothbrush.) I got a Sandisk Ultra II 1GB for what $60~$70 I think, I'm stoked about that. I just get bent the wrong way on the occasions where I notice something retail price when I'm paying a membership to get 'wholesale' prices.
    In this case, WTF? I just can't figure out why it's $730 when it should be $600, or $650 at the very most. I can go to the PalmOne retail kiosk in the mall and get it for $700, and they take Visa.
    Does it come with an extra charger, cradle, what?

There's a reason for all of this. While, like you, I don't understand the Costco price of $730 for the P1 unbranded 650, other electronics are not much cheaper or aren't cheaper at all because the are VERY low margin items. There's not much markup in the retail stores for most computers and televisions, so you don't notice much difference in prices from wholesalers like Costco, Sam's Club, or BJs.

However, higher margin items like most foods, supplies, and accessories, you do notice a larger difference in prices between retail chains and wholesalers.
    Right at the end of the Costo page:

"This item is covered by Costco's guarantee to refund your purchase price if you are not completely satisfied. Costco's guarantee applies, even though this item may not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, because Costco is not an "authorized" dealer of the merchandise."
    Does this mean that you can't take it to Sprint if you need some service? And is your only recourse then to return it to Costco and get another one (if they still carry it).

Was in Costco yesterday, and they had the Sprint 650 with car charger for $569 with an instant $200 off (w/2 yr. activation), no activation fee, 2 yr. warranty, so out the door for $369. Seems like a good deal, but if I can't get needed service then maybe not.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekDude
    Does this mean that you can't take it to Sprint if you need some service? And is your only recourse then to return it to Costco and get another one (if they still carry it).

Was in Costco yesterday, and they had the Sprint 650 with car charger for $569 with an instant $200 off (w/2 yr. activation), no activation fee, 2 yr. warranty, so out the door for $369. Seems like a good deal, but if I can't get needed service then maybe not.
    No.
    Costco's warranty is in addition to Sprint. Sprint stores have to repair your unit for one yr no matter where you buy it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12